I want aux speakers for my flat screen.

I have an LG LCD TV in my living room:

The sound on it is OK 50% of the time, but there are so many shows that are more quite (like 24) that we don't get sufficient sound from the TV's speakers, even cranked up. And with the dishwasher going, fo-ghet-aboot-it. So I want something auxiliary. I don't want a surround sound system, just a couple of good sounding satellite speakers or maybe two sats and a sub. Not looking to spend much, up to $100 or so. Should be doable since you can get very nice computer speakers for that price.

As you can see the TV is in a corner on top of the fireplace. I don't have room on the sides of the TV for speakers, but I have plenty behind. The TV has a Optical Digital Audio output and I am hoping that means I can control the volume with the TV remote?? Hoping I can do this without a receiver. Any suggestions? Not even sure what to look for, that's why I am seeking help. Thanks!

J.D.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Check this out. A buddy just bought one and it sounds awesome.

The sub is wireless and can be put anywhere in the room. The bar goes up by your TV.

Side note...Walmart has just the crossbar (no sub) for $140 or so

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...less+Subwoofer
    I'm just saying....
    [URL="http://www.calcreepers.com"]CalCreepers[/URL]
    85 4Runner, 38.5" boggers, Dual cases, 5.29's, ARB up front/Detroit in the rear, Longfields and 4340 chromolly inners

Member #
    on optical out or "toslink, or S/PDIF"...your looking on spending more than $100 on anything
    Last edited by Scott91MJ; February 17th, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
    04 LWB LJ 4.0L 42RLE 2.5" OME lift 1" body lift 32" KM2's
    91 SWB MJ 4.0L AX-15 4:1NP-231 D30 D44a 6" tomken
    01 Xterra, grocery getter
    I'm A Man...I Can Change...If I have to...I Guess.

Member #
    Images
    Look for a set of computer speakers with optical input.
    If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!

Member #
    there's gotta be a audio RCA left/right out on that thing...

in wall speakers from monoprice?

model # of the tv?
    Last edited by Scott91MJ; February 17th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Smitty, I wish a sound-bar would work, but I am sure I don't have that much room.

Does the optical output allow me to control volume with the TV remote?

I found a pic of my rear inputs/outputs:

There are no outputs on the side.

I am ok with computer speakers if I can control the volume with the remote.

Full model is B47LH40-VA

J.D.

Member #
    Images
    im almost positive that the answer to that is no..
    Tired of being tired.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    --Robert Heinlein

PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......

Lunatic? just call me the duece

I have RCA outs from the dish receiver, but I won't be able to control volume with the remote, I am pretty sure.

J.D.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    Smitty, I wish a sound-bar would work, but I am sure I don't have that much room.

Does the optical output allow me to control volume with the TV remote?

I found a pic of my rear inputs/outputs:

There are no outputs on the side.

I am ok with computer speakers if I can control the volume with the remote.

Full model is B47LH40-VA

J.D.
    it all depends on if the software within the tv controls the optical output or if it's a fixed level output. not alot of choices out there...get a amp with 2 to 5.1 channel capabilities, and you'll spend more than $100...but you'll be set for the next 5 yrs to expand the system

Satellite changes the channel, and I have that remote controlling the TV as well. Hoping to only have the one remote.

I am calling LG now.

J.D.

Member #
    Images
    Call the Sat company...Should be a way to program your remote to control the Sat receiver volume instead of your TV volume...and you could easily hook your RCA outs on the Sat box to a computer speaker setup using an RCA to 1/8" mini cable.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Member #
    Images
    Satellite changes the channel, and I have that remote controlling the TV as well. Hoping to only have the one remote.
    Do you have DirecTV? If so, that remote is programable to whatever TV you have. We use our DirecTV as the only remote for our system as it's programmed to control the TV, dish receiver and audio tuner/amp.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    Call the Sat company...Should be a way to program your remote to control the Sat receiver volume instead of your TV volume...and you could easily hook your RCA outs on the Sat box to a computer speaker setup using an RCA to 1/8" mini cable.
    considering its the sat that's doing most of the work, give it all the work, audio and video, get some good speakers, and go with the rca to 1/8" adaptor

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Do you have DirecTV? If so, that remote is programable to whatever TV you have. We use our DirecTV as the only remote for our system as it's programmed to control the TV, dish receiver and audio tuner/amp.
    Same for Dish. Should be no problem- get an amp, sub, and speakers- all will be controlled by the single remote.

Super easy. Go big on the Sub, btw. You'll be glad you did. Ours shakes the coffee table when the mothership fires up during movies.

No it's Dish Network and I have the remote controlling the TV now. However, there is no volume control in the receivers. I just called my brother, who worked for Echostar and he said that maybe I could use the aux button on the remote to control it. He guided me on how to access the codes for different receivers, which is great, but now I am having to buy a receiver on that list and probably would have to spend well over my budget.

No easy way...

Member #
    Get a receiver and a set of speakers off craigslist

Not that it matters too much, but here is a list of amps my remote will control with limited functionality:

Aiwa Amplifiers 636, 641, 656, 687, 718, 720, 725, 726
    BOSE Amplifiers 761, 780
    Carver Amplifiers 653
    Citizen Amplifiers 709
    Denon Amplifiers 647, 674, 759, 760, 762, 807, 809, 814, 835
    Fisher Amplifiers 653
    GE Amplifiers 711
    Goldstar Amplifiers 677, 690
    Harman Kardon Amplifiers 640, 751
    Harmon/Kardon Amplifiers 672
    Hitachi Amplifiers 717
    JBL Amplifiers 640
    JVC Amplifiers 637, 703, 725, 786, 827
    Kenwood Amplifiers 676, 691, 726, 728, 774, 795, 828, 829, 830, 831, 832, 840, 842
    Magnavox Amplifiers 654, 705
    Marantz Amplifiers 651, 764, 845
    Nakamichi Amplifiers 671
    NEC Amplifiers 716
    Onkyo Amplifiers 642, 660, 662, 678, 785, 788, 790, 791, 792, 796, 801, 846
    Optimus Amplifiers 648, 664
    Panasonic Amplifiers 643, 644, 652, 783, 797, 798, 799, 808, 810, 815, 816, 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 824, 825, 826
    Panasonic Amplifiers 833, 836, 837, 838, 839
    Pioneer Amplifiers 667, 668, 679, 702, 767, 770, 772, 779, 802, 806, 844
    Proton Amplifiers 654, 705
    Quasar Amplifiers 652
    RCA Amplifiers 635, 638, 704, 727
    Sharp Amplifiers 712, 713, 714, 715
    Sherwood Amplifiers 646, 670
    Sony Amplifiers 639, 645, 687, 728, 729, 730, 765, 766, 769, 771, 773, 775, 776, 777, 778, 781, 782, 784, 787, 789
    Sony Amplifiers 793, 794, 803, 811, 812, 813
    Soundmatters Amplifiers 763
    Teac Amplifiers 684
    Technic Amplifiers 652
    Technics Amplifiers 643, 644, 652, 768, 804, 805, 843
    Toshiba Amplifiers 710
    Victor Amplifiers 703
    Yamaha Amplifiers 663, 730, 731, 732, 733, 823, 834, 841
    Now I need to find out which are somewhat cheap. Not opposed to used.

J.D.

Member #
    Images
    I find it hard to believe that you can't control volume on the Sat Box...I seem to recall being able to do that on my DISH box, but I could be wrong.

Member #
    Images
    Oh, and Aiwa, Onkyo, Proton, and Quasar are fairly cheap...

Computer speakers are meant to be used from 2 feet away, not 10 feet. I don't think you'd be happy with the sound you'd get from them.

The problem is one of two things: either your TV's internal amp doesn't push enough wattage or the speaker design inside your TV sucks. Probably both. Not bagging on your particular TV, it seems like all big screen TVs these days come with crappy internal audio. When people go TV shopping they are usually concerned with screen size and resolution, and won't pay more for better sound, so the manufacturers go cheap.

If it was me, in your budget, I'd get a couple of decent quality 2 way bookshelf speakers, hook them to the audio output of your satellite receiver, and see what kind of results you get. The amp in the satellite receiver probably isn't any better than the TV, but at least you've got well designed speakers hooked to it. And if that isn't enough volume, you can use both the TV and the Satellite sound at the same time, for more umph. The downside is you'd be adjusting volume in two places (satellite receiver & TV).

The nice thing about this route is that if you decide later you want a full-blown surround sound setup, you can re-use the bookshelf speakers as surround speakers. If you go out and buy a sound bar or a cheap POS all-in-on solution, you'll end up throwing away the whole thing later if you upgrade.

Just my opinion!

-E
    The criminally insane and the brainwashed fundamentalists will always find ways to attack and kill groups of people, regardless of the method. Guns are not the problem, guns are what allow the rest of us to resist them.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    x2
    Chester Bullock
    Follow me on: Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
    My blogs: Photography | Random Thoughts

Member #
    Images
    Not that it matters too much, but here is a list of amps my remote will control with limited functionality:

Now I need to find out which are somewhat cheap. Not opposed to used.

J.D.
    Those aren't model numbers, they are remote codes. You'd be fine with an older one of any of these makes you pick up on CL.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    Those aren't model numbers, they are remote codes. You'd be fine with an older one of any of these makes you pick up on CL.
    Right, I just didn't want to edit them out.

I did find a JVC setup on Craigs that may fit the bill. I just hope I can control it with my Dish remote.

J.D.

I'll look at my buddies set up and take pictures for you. I'm betting the bar would fit in front of your tv. It's not that big.

I'll try to post pictures later.

Logitech FTW.

This is why I buy remotes with JP1 plugs. I can plug it into the computer and program every button on there to exactly what I want. Every button on my factory remotes is programmed into the replacements to work exactly the same.

Can learn more about JP1 remotes at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/
    --Dave
    1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 5 Speed 33x12.50-15 Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 4" Lift - Rancho 9000x - No-Slip Locker rear

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_Blues View Post
    Computer speakers are meant to be used from 2 feet away, not 10 feet. I don't think you'd be happy with the sound you'd get from them.
    This is true of low powered, cheapos....

But a GOOD 2.1 set of computer speakers will probably more than fill your bill. I have a set of these:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...-2-1-overview/

They BOOM and put to shame alot of low end home theater setups. They play incredibly loud, clear and clean...and sound great 2 feet or 30 feet away from them.
    Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot
    Caught My Eye Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I was WRONG!

Member #
    Images
    might has been stated before, but check the volume output on the sat box as well; a lot of dish systems can also control the volume they put out and come pretty low. you may be able to boost the volume from the dish receiver so that your TV has plenty of volume.
    -Ben
    74 Bronco garage queen - currently a zero emission vehicle
    my commuter vehicle spews "global warming" gas CO2 & CH4 - dang bicycles

Well, I got a heck of a deal last night on a JVC receiver (JVC RX 778V)and 5 sony speakers with a sub. The receiver is HUGE, and doesn't fit in my spot very well, so I may sell it and look for something a bit smaller, but there is a drastic improvement already. The Speakers are small enough to place nearly anywhere.

Thanks for all the help guys. If you know of a similar quaility receiver that's short, please let me know. I am willing to trade or sell what I have and pay cash.

J.D.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91MJ View Post
    not alot of choices out there...get a amp with 2 to 5.1 channel capabilities, and you'll spend more than $100...but you'll be set for the next 5 yrs to expand the system
    Well, I got a heck of a deal last night on a JVC receiver (JVC RX 778V)and 5 sony speakers with a sub. The receiver is HUGE, and doesn't fit in my spot very well, so I may sell it and look for something a bit smaller, but there is a drastic improvement already. The Speakers are small enough to place nearly anywhere.

Thanks for all the help guys. If you know of a similar quaility receiver that's short, please let me know. I am willing to trade or sell what I have and pay cash.

J.D.
    How'd I FN know it

stand it on its side against the wall to the left of the fireplace
    Last edited by Scott91MJ; February 18th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.

You da man! Now find me a receiver that has the footprint of a piece of paper, is up to 4" tall, can be controlled with my current remote, and is affordable and you'll be my hero.

J.D.

Member #
    Images
    You da man! Now find me a receiver that has the footprint of a piece of paper, is up to 4" tall, can be controlled with my current remote, and is affordable and you'll be my hero.

J.D.
    define affordable - I've seen quite a few receivers that would fit that bill; check out dorm-room and book shelf systems. I've seen some by yahama, denon, onyko, nakamichi, etc or for really thin ones go onto bang Olsen etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaunder View Post
    or for really thin ones go onto bang Olsen etc.
    Let's not bring the twins into this, ok?

-E

^ ...and why not??
    ☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌ 
    / \ Copy and paste him
    Jim - www.yuccaman.com - '04 LJ Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by bsaunder View Post
    define affordable - I've seen quite a few receivers that would fit that bill; check out dorm-room and book shelf systems. I've seen some by yahama, denon, onyko, nakamichi, etc or for really thin ones go onto bang Olsen etc.
    Well I guess since I want to trade what I have (JVC) or at least like value, we're talking $140 or so. Again, used is OK and it needs to be black or grey/silver.

J.D.