Thread: Rule bender

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images

Rule bender

I know this is outside of the rules of the park so, I have to ask what are the penalties and why do you think the rule is what it is.

Saturday is a full moon and I have a lady friend that I've been talking to about hiking or snowshoeing that night, by moon light, no lamps. I'd like to go out in Falcon park but, like most parks, there is a sign that says the park closes at sundown. Obviously driving up there there and parking would be a bad idea. What do you think they would do if they caught you in the park after dark, on foot? What do you think the reason is for the parks being closed at dark? Is it just to keep rifraf out?

"If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." Thomas Jefferson

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    Well, I found part of the answer. Here are the listed times and penalties for breaking the curfew, from the Jeffco Open Space site:

C.21. Curfew:
    a) It shall be unlawful to enter, use, or occupy, Open Space
    lands from one (1) hour after sunset to one (1) hour before
    sunrise. Fine: $50.00
    b) It shall be unlawful to park any vehicle and/or trailer on
    Open Space lands during the established curfew without a
    valid camping permit clearly posted on said vehicle.
    Fine: $50.00

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp View Post
    why do you think the rule is what it is.
    It's called the George Michael rule. Prior to his public restroom escapades there was no curfew anywhere in the world for parks and open spaces.

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It's called the George Michael rule. Prior to his public restroom escapades there was no curfew anywhere in the world for parks and open spaces.

Hmmm......that is reason enough to go snowshoe on Mt. Evans in the dark as opposed to a park

Park rangers don't like to walk, so I doubt you would get caught unless you left a vehicle in the parking area. If you did that, then they might sit there and wait for you.

As for the rationale behind the rule, I haven't a clue, unless it really does have something to do with George Michael.
    1991 YJ 1955 Land Rover 86
    1986 Land Rover ExMOD 110

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    I have no need to bend the park rangers out of shape so, I won't be going to open space but, I am curious of the driver behind the rule.

Now I just need to find an equally convenient place to snowshoe that night. Since it is supposed to start snowing up there tonight, we might even get some fresh tracks if I can find a decent place to go that isn't breaking any rules for being outside in the dark

Maybe because dark tends to increase the chance of an accident, and since a SAR effort tends to be expensive, they're trying to cut the expense and put the odds more in their favor by having people recreate in the daylight? Just theorizing.
    "Someone else says the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and drank whiskey and played poker with the locals until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead." ---'98 XJ, 2" lift, all open, 31's.