Member #

Moab Fins 'n Things in a Full Size?

I'm getting ready to turn in my registration for the 2010 Jeep Safari and I'm debating whether or not to select "Fins 'n Things". I'm hoping someone can provide a little insight to the trail. I am not fortunate enough to own a jeep, so we do all our wheeling in a GMC X-Cab Z-71 pickup. We've completed many of the 3-rated trails associated with the Safari (3-D, Copper Ridge, Secret Spire) with no difficulty, but this year, we would like to up the ante, so to speak.
    Does anyone have any insight about whether or not a full size pickup could complete the obstacles? I'm not worried about the climbing aspects of Kenny's Climb or Frenchy's Fin, but I am curious about any difficulty a longer wheelbase may have in climbing some of the steps along the trail.
    Any help or advice that you might have would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks.

I don't think you should have too much of a problem. You will drag the rear bumper quite often, but it shouldn't be enough to stop you.
    1980 Toyota....I scratched the paint!

We just came back from Fins in October. IMHO, unless your Z has quite a bit of clearance you're going to drag the back end. A lot. If rock rash isn't a concern you're probably good.

Edward
    [url]www.4x4extremesports.com[/url]
    1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 5-speed
    SAS Dana 44s w/ARBs 35" Geolandar M/Ts
    NP231 B4R doubler/Terra Low231 228:1

Member #
    i agree with above. it is a fun one!! we did it a few years ago with slightly lifted rigs (two 4runners and a jeep grand cherokee) we all scraped bumpers and trailer hitches but the trail isnt too difficult.

1993 Toyota 4runner: ARB rear locker, SDORI ball joint spacers, OME 901 coils, hacked into the dash clinometer, 33x10.50 BFG AT tires, marlin crawler rock sliders, armorology rear bumper, and some dents.

Member #
    If you dont have a reciever hitcht that will hit the ground before the bumper I wouldnt do it unless you dotn care much about your bumper. thers is a decent chance that you could hit your front in places too.

Member #
    Have a look at this video to help you decide. I think you will for sure be having a few issues with the rear bumper clearing the obstacles.
    Have lockers??
    2006 Rubicon w/ 2.5" Skyjacker lift.
    33x12.50 BFG's JKS Disco's
    9.5k Warn Power Plant winch.
    CB Radio FRS/GMRS Handheld

Member #
    I have not done Fins in Thing in my truck but I did do Hell's Revenge which is supposedly a little more difficult than Fins. My vehicle is a extended cab Nissan Titan, and it did ok. I do have an e-locker in the back and had to engage it a few times.

I would say go for it, but be prepared to drag a few spots. Take your time and go slow!

Zack
    06 Nissan Titan 4X4 -Off Road
    34" Nitto Terra Grapplers
    3" PRG extended travel coilovers
    Locked rear

Member #
    Thanks for the info. I do have a receiver hitch, and I don't mind using it as an anchor from time to time (it wouldn't be the first). I guess my biggest concern is being the one who holds up the line while I take my time through the tight spots. We've been on the safari twice now and everyone is really friendly even though we aren't actually driving a jeep. I just don't want that friendliness to turn to frustration cause I take so damn long. I think I will submit for the trail and continue to do some asking around. Trouble is, if I don't end up going on the trail, I'm out the 50 bucks.
    If it doesn't fit...get a bigger hammer

Rent a Jeep.
    www.TwistedDV.com ***The leader in rock crawling entertainment***
    www.rockzombieoutlaws.com
    4 seater 4runner buggy, 39" Red label Krawlers, Howe full hydro, 60's, 16" 2.5 King coilovers f/r,4.7s, PRP seats

Member #
    We've considered renting, but in these current economic times, we're lucky to be going Moab at all. I don't know... maybe I'll just stick to the easier trails. The video referenced above had some vehicles with considerably shorter wheelbase than mine having some difficulties. Thanks for the advice!

Piece of cake I know a guy that ran Hells Revenge in a Chevy dually

Last edited by gmule; January 27th, 2010 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmule View Post

now hes got some balls! he should get a for doing it
    90 ranger;I couldn't listen in school, I felt I had a different callin But all everybody did was roll their eyes and start yawnin But this is real life and only you is livin through your eyes There are dreamers, those who want it And us, who won't be denied - Violent J (ICP)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by randmpark View Post
    We've considered renting, but in these current economic times, we're lucky to be going Moab at all. I don't know... maybe I'll just stick to the easier trails. The video referenced above had some vehicles with considerably shorter wheelbase than mine having some difficulties. Thanks for the advice!
    If you are cool with dragging the hitch man do not back out. Go for it! You will not regret it!

Zack

Quote Originally Posted by gmule View Post
    You cannot compare Hell's Revenge with Fins & Things. Except for Hell's Gate, Escalator, and the Hot Tubs, I think Hell's Revenge is easier. I doubt the dually did any of these, nor would the OP.

Fins & Things requires more aproach and departure angle, the inclines and declines are much more abrupt, and are steeper. Some you can bypass, but most you cannot.
    95 XJ - 3.5" RE Superflex, ACOS, RC Drop Brackets, 10.5x33" BFG TA's, 4.10's, Dana 44 Rear w/Detroit.
    83 Toy - 4" AllPro Fronts, Pro-Comp Rears & 1" shackle lift, 5:29's, Spool Rear, Detroit Front, Home built flatbed, Dual 2.28 cases, 35" KM2's.

I still say piece of cake. I know a guy who ran fins and things with a Dodge quad cab 2500 Diesel

GO FOR IT!!!
    if your wheeling vehicle is a truck and you want to get more challenging then GO FOR IT. You GMC will whiz through that trail, as far as holding people up....it is the SAFARI....it will be so slow that you will be just fine. That trail is a fun little trail. Others you should look into....Flat Iron Mesa....Poison Spider....3D is actually kind of fun because you get to see a lot of land, pretty easy but fun....7 Mile Rim.....Cliffhanger. Your truck would be fine on all of them. I personally have a TJ but in the past have wheeled with all sorts of types of vehicles, including full size trucks, they get around pretty easy like everything else. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boyle View Post
    I don't think you should have too much of a problem. You will drag the rear bumper quite often, but it shouldn't be enough to stop you.
    X2. You'll do fine. There are 2-3 places where you will drag rear bumper. If you have a trailer hitch, it will take the beating for your bumper.
    2009 JK Rubicon
    2004 TJ Sahara (Gone, but Not Forgotten)
    My Wheeling pic's: Moab-2006/2008; Ouray-2007, Rubicon-2008
    http://community.webshots.com/user/thunder1strike

I drag my trailer hitch several times on that trail, but thats what I have it on there for. I also hit the brush guard in a couple places, I use it as a front slider to get onto the obstacle lol. Rodeos sit really low, with 4" extra ground clearance it sits about the same height as a stock FJ Cruiser.

There will be a few places you will probably have to do a several point turn but most of it is pretty wide. There is one spot I would be worried about. While going over the petrified sand dunes (2nd pic byron4 posted) there is one really narrow spot where the sides are washing out. With the stance on my rodeo the edges of the tires hang over. If you are too wide you should be able to drop the wheels down in evenly off the sides and have no problem if you hit it straight. Might have some pucker factor though.
    --Dave
    1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 5 Speed 33x12.50-15 Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 4" Lift - Rancho 9000x - No-Slip Locker rear

Member #
    Images
    I'd like to see the dually hit Mikey's Hot Tub...or even the car wash for that matter on HR - that would be a tourist stop. Personally, having run both a number of times - I think Fin's n Things is easier and a lot of fun - but then HR, Poison Spider, Flat Iron Mesa, 7 mile, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Cliffhanger and Rose Garden Hill are ALL fun - I love to watch the newbies during Safari - I gotta believe the stories that go home with them are better each time...
    08 JK - NV241OR xfer case,RIPP Gen II SC, RR bumper, M8000 winch, Olympic sliders, F/R dif skid/cover, 3.0" OME lift, Teraflex S/T sway bar disconnect, RCV front axles + ARB lockers + 4.88s, EVO front axle tubes and gussets, adj track bars, adj CAs, BFG 35" KM2s on AR Mojave's 17x8, Bushwhacker 6" fender flares.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleBlue90 View Post
    now hes got some balls! he should get a for doing it
    That's classic!....A dually on Hells's!!

A couple of years ago on big sat. a group of mexicans had a f350 crewcab dually up by the hot tubs complete with a bed full of tools.Bonestock and all.Came in backwards besides.

A few years ago I did Hell's Revenge in my stock ram 2500 quadcab.I didn't do any of the optional obstacles.Just the main trail.Only dragged the hitch once I think.
    Last edited by cheepin; February 7th, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
    CJ/buggy,FI406,465,205,D60,14boltFF on beadlocked 39.50 swampers.See build.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=134201
    '70Jeepster, 225,T-14,D20,10bolt,12bolt on 34/9.50/15 Swampers
    www.tubebuggies.com

Member #

Fins

I have led Fins N Things for the Easter Jeep Safari for the last three years during the first weekend. You can do it, but the folks that indicate expecting to drag your rear hitch are correct. There are a couple of places where you can take less steep bypasses down off of the fins. Ask your trail leaders to point those options out to you; maybe even stick close to one of them. A good leader will take the bypasses to show the concerned folks the way. Fins is a great next step for moving up the Moab trail difficulty scale.

If your leader takes you on the triangle loop out to Negro Bill Canyon, stay away from the middle of the "Lunch Counter" ledge. It would be interesting to see if you got wedged front to rear at the start of Kenny's Climb, or high-centered at the top breakover. I'd bet you could make it. Have yet to see a full-size rig try it. There's a bypass for it, and no shame in taking any bypass. Your wheelbase would help when going up Kenny's Climb and Frenchy's Fin, but getting started on them might require a little momentum to overcome dragging your hitch...if you even drag at all.

As for Hell's Revenge, does anyone remember the lime green and black Dodge double-dually that ran it several years ago? TWO rear dually axle assemblies, rear passenger bench seats, etc.

Eyez.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyez View Post
    As for Hell's Revenge, does anyone remember the lime green and black Dodge double-dually that ran it several years ago? TWO rear dually axle assemblies, rear passenger bench seats, etc. Eyez.
    You're talking about Prueitt's T Rex 6x6, right? That rig is more than capable to probably run anything in Moab.

www.dodgeram.org/rides/12/T-Rex/index.html
    Like the way I drive...You should see me crawl!

'94 YJ - 60's, 40's, Atlas...You Know; Same Shit, Different Jeep!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyez View Post
    It would be interesting to see if you got wedged front to rear at the start of Kenny's Climb, or high-centered at the top breakover. I'd bet you could make it. Have yet to see a full-size rig try it. There's a bypass for it, and no shame in taking any bypass. Your wheelbase would help when going up Kenny's Climb and Frenchy's Fin, but getting started on them might require a little momentum to overcome dragging your hitch...if you even drag at all.
    Dont know if it would fit at the start of kennys climb. My rodeo is smaller and I hit the brushguard getting onto it, then once the front wheels start coming up I hit my trailer hitch. If his truck sits high enough it might not be a problem

Member #

6x6

Yep, that's the truck. I never knew whose it was. Thanks Tracy.

Gizmo, you might be right. He could try, and if not, take the bypass.

Member #
    Thanks all for the advice. I have decided to give Fins 'n Things a shot. I'm hoping to get an opportunity to speak with the trail leader at the arena before we head out for Big Sat. (Last year we got lucky when showing up for final registration for Copper Ridge, and spoke with the trail leader beforehand). I turned in my trail request, so I'm just waiting for confirmations. I'm not above taking any of the bypasses (especially if my wife has any say), but would prefer doing the entire trail.

Eyez, it's good to hear from a trail leader who is patient enough to help us non-jeepers through the tight spots. As I mentioned before, my biggest concern is that I slow the speed of the trail just so I can get any special attention needed.
    You mentioned you trail lead on the weekend prior... Do you know the trail leader for Big Sat?

Thanks again for the advice!!

You will have fun!

My first trip to Moab in my stock Dodge Ram 1500 (just had an aftermarket front bumper, but still the factory tow hooks which were the lowest part), I did Hells Revenge, Fins and Things and 7 mile rim. Tagged the reciever and rear bumper a couple of times, but nothing else.

It was a ton of fun. Now on 42"s I don't enjoy FNT as much, but Hells Revenge is still a blast. Especially Hells Gate and the Escalator.
    '01 RamV, 5" lift, 42" Iroks

Member #

Fins

My comment about leading Fins was in past tense. We decided to take a break from doing all nine days of EJS, so last year was probably our final year of leading Fins on the first weekend. We can travel farther afield now that we're not taking care of an elderly relative who passed away. We'll do the final weekends of EJS, and save the vacation time for trips elsewhere (e.g. - Rubicon in July).

It's all about the wheelin', regardless of make or model. On Fins you might see a driver with a built rig that's always been a mudder and may need a little advice about the "Moab bump" on a slickrock ledge. There's no need to sweat the jeep/truck thing.

Attending Safari requires the understanding that there will be people on the trail who need to be spotted over an obstacle...have a care, but don't obsess over slowing down the trail. It just part of having folks from all over running these trails in large groups. Even with 58 vehicles on Fins like we had a few years ago, we still finished the trail by 4pm.

Your Big Sat Fins leader will be Doug McElhaney. It's hard for me to comment on him as a trail leader, since we've never done trail work or rides together. His brother Jeramey is a nice guy and a thoughtful trail leader...perhaps Doug is the same.

Some leaders try to be at the meeting location 45-60 minutes early. Being this early yourself would be your chance to chat with Doug, line up at the front, and check out the mods on the rest of the rigs that arrive. Being up front will put you in a position to ask Doug for help without affecting the rest of the stretched-out group too much. Based on your prior Moab experience, I'd bet you won't need much help.

Member #
    For anyone who cares, we made it through Fins 'n Things relatively unscathed in the full size. It was a lot of fun to run this trail. Definitely the funnest trail we've run as part of the Jeep Safari. The length of our truck caused some problems with the first two obstacles, but fortunately there was a workaround. As expected, we dragged the receiver hitch in a couple places, and bent the 7-round trailer connection at one point.

Kenny's Climb was definitely a spot for us to leave our mark as we dragged the hitch for several inches. However, after carefully selecting the correct line of travel, we made it up Kenny's Climb with out any issues. Frenchie's Fin was a no-brainer. See this photo for a shot of us coming down one of the hills:
    http://xe9.xanga.com/a65f93724043526...b212298134.jpg

Thanks to everybody for the advice and encouragement to attempt this trail. This will definitely be on our list to complete again next year.

I like wheelin in full sized rigs. Most of the time we can out do the Buggies, except for turning radious and height. There are a few obstacles that we can do that Buggies can't and there are places buggies go that we can't. SO it is a fair trade off. I wheel in a full sized rig so that I can fit my whole family.

Here are some videos of us playing around on Fins-n-things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EIX65A1E_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K262F...eature=related

Here are several full sized, or should I say large rigs in Moab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQtxR63tEcU
    Stan Prueitt
    Dodge T-Rex 6x6
    www.urbansurvivors.com

Member #
    Hi sprueitt. How funny that you should join in this conversation. As we traveled to Moab for EJS this year, you were in front of us for the majority of the trip up Spanish Fork canyon. I thought I recognized your rig as we came up behind you (it's kind of hard not to notice it).
    We really had fun on this trail and look forward to doing it again next year.

well, we should all hook up for a trail ride next time. we are there every october on columbus day week end. If you all are interested lets plan a trail ride.

Fins n things is a joke be still a fun trail. Cake dude. Runn it
    HAPPINESS IS A BELT FED WEAPON

Quote Originally Posted by cheapyota View Post
    Fins n things is a joke be still a fun trail. Cake dude. Runn it
    Yeah, pretty sure he already did. In April.
    2006 WK 5.7 Hemi