Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 180 HD Wire Feed Welder

looking to buy a welder ive been looking at the Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 180 HD Wire Feed Welder

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

has anyone used the 180 or own one? if so any info on how it welds. im looking to weld bumpers sliders, and minor fab work. Maybe pushing it with this welder but maybe welding up some lower links out of .250 dom links, welding some mounts to axle tubes/ spring perches. will this welder have enough balls for my needs?

most likely going to run the flux core wire instead of gas for now. how bad is welding with flux vs gas? any information would be helpfull.
    Stay stock or stay in the driveway.

Member #
    Images
    i had a weld pak 3200HD 110V(lower model than the 180) for a few years and it did me well. i welded up to 1/4" for bumpers, tow hitches and even a smooth bit blade for our mini excavator at work. all welds were done with .035 flux core are still holding strong so i would think that you would be fine with the WP180. the only issue you might run into is a lower duty cycle so you won't be able to make foot long welds on the highest settings without stopping and letting the machine cool down.

the only problem i found with flux core is that it leaves a lot of splatter on your welds but it is easier to use because you don't have to keep your torch the proper distance from your work like you would with mig and argon.

i would suggest keeping an eye on craigslist for and argon bottle so that you could weld use mig wire instead of flux core on any welds that would not be seeing a huge load and end up with a cleaner looking weld. this is all depending on your welding skill.

just my $.02
    96 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4, 5spd ext. cab, 270k miles, garage art under construction.
    93 Ram W250 CTD 4x4, 5spd, reg. cab, 207k miles, tow rig in need of trailer.

Read the four wheeler magazine I believe it was just in that one. I skipped the article
    Just another JK Rubicon

Member #
    Images
    I have the lincoln 180T. Its a great welder. Nice clean welds with gas, deeper welds with flux. I've built 3 trucks with mine. 1/4 - 3/8 " is just fine for it.

I've welded all of the things you are looking to weld with mine with no issues. Flux will just give you more splatter and slag and not as "pretty" of a weld. But, it will give you nice strong and deep welds. 75% of my welding is with Flux just for ease of use.

You are welcome to come by and try mine out first.
    2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    520 Hp of badness
    Taking a break from slow...

Member #
    I'm confused why flux core would give you a "deeper" weld. It seems to me that if you're using gas and not getting enough penetration, you would turn up the heat and wire speed until you get the penetration required for your particular job. How is the flux allowing a deeper weld?

Member #
    Flux core burns hotter so it would penetrate further, just adjust the welder up a small amount or adjust the wire speed slightly slower. That 180 would work fine on any thing on an off road vehicle, including frame, links, and even knuckles. I don't think I have ever welded any thing on my Jeep with a setting higher than 60% on my 210.
    Blackish 91 YJ coiled blah blah blah.

Member #
    Images
    I just picked up one a few days ago, haven't tried it out yet. Watch E Bay. I got mine brand new in the box for $410 + $40 shipping.
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin
    klaatu barada nikto

Quid Futuis

Member #
    Images
    also if you're not against buying one online, i picked up my lincoln 215 new from airgas's website for $300 cheaper than any place in denver, delivered to my door for $1455, general air wanted over $1800 plus taxes at their store.

Member #
    I have the 180HD. It's an "OK" welder. Plenty of "ass" for anything I have had to weld (including 1/4" wall links), and never had it shut down for duty cycle.

Mine LOVES to throw down wire though - welds aren't quite as pretty as with a Miller 212 or Passport - which is what I would get if I had unlimited funds.

Be sure to add a couple hundred bucks into your budget for a better mask, magnets, gloves, jacket, etc.
    President, CO Chapter TTORA
    Check out www.ttora.com, and www.yotatech.com to 'wheel with great Toyota folks!
    1993 Toyota 4Runner with some armor, lockers, dual cases and stuff ...
    Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

would the miller 180 be compared to this a better or worse welder? there are a few on craigslist for sale. do you think i would get better penetration with the lincoln or miller 180?

Member #
    Penetration/strength is about the same. Miller seems to produce a prettier weld with my technique

also was looking at a Hobart IronMan 210 from what ive read the hobart is made by miller but use a few plastic parts when millers are metal. cheapest ive found the iron man 210 is 1099.00 but i have a 20 percent off coupon (not sure if it will apply because it is a special order to get that welder) so my question is.. . it worth it to spend the extra 300 or so for the ironman 210 or just stick with the lincoln 180 for about 750. or find the miller 180 thats on craigslist for about 800?

Member #
    Images
    a friend of mine has a hobart, not sure the size but it's a smaller 220v machine. it makes some nice welds but it has grown a loose connection where the hose/torch hooks to the machine so it requires special placement of a pair of work gloves to get a good connection. it's probably an easy fix but a problem that inspired me to overlook hobart when i was shopping for my new welder.
    specs between miller and lincoln were almost identical in the size i was looking at so it just came down to price.