Thread: Senior Photos and Products - A General Discussion

Member #
    Images

Senior Photos and Products - A General Discussion

Jocko's thread and some of the responses made me think it would be good to have a unique thread on this. I know we have talked about some of these things over the past few years.

My response that made me think of doing this:

If you think about it though, you only need one headshot for the yearbook, and that is generally a fairly standard pose (requirements imposed by yearbook admins).

But outside of that, I think it is essential to capture the personality of the person. I am starting to follow a few Flickr groups again that have good examples of this:

Senior Pictures

The New Senior Portrait

Creative Edge Senior Portraits
    Outside of posing though, I do have other questions about the Senior (HS) market. In all of the photo magazines I get, I always see templates offered for sale to give you other "products" or treatments for the photos you take. I wonder how much market there is for this stuff? There must be somewhere, otherwise people wouldn't be buying the software, but to me it feels gimmicky.
    Chester Bullock
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/coskier
    My drone photography - http://instagram.com/gypsy_drone

Member #
    Images
    Aren't all senior photos, by definition, "gimmicky?" I mean, who really ever uses or looks at them a couple of years after they graduate? Parents spend a ton of $$$ for them, send some to relatives, put one or two on display in their house, and that's pretty much it. A ton of $$$ for what they're used for.

That said, I don't blame any photographer for taking advantage of the demand. Jocko's pics are always amazingly good; hopefully he charges accordingly.

Member #
    One of the things I'm adding is an Animoto video showing all of the images from the senior portrait session. I'm thinking about selling them for $100

This year, my seniors all jumped at my special which is $150 for an hour long session, with the yearbook photo, two 8x10s, four 5x7s and a sheet of wallets. They were quicky sessions because instead of editing all of the photos I took, I showed them proofs and had them pick the ones they wanted me to edit. I usually ended up editing several more of my favorites and they tended to purchase extra photos in their package.

But since they weren't able to purchase all of the images from their session, the idea of a video slideshow appeals to them.
    "Cute girl; cool Jeep. Killer combination!"
    Told ya it was inevitable....my last name is Wheeler!
    www.pictureyourworld.net

Member #
    Now that I think about it, I think I've shot more senior portrait session than anything else this year!

In general, I think it's a good idea to do the standard pose that the school will accept (make sure to find out if the school has any regulations, such as "No Props", etc. etc."

Then there's the shot for parents and grandparents.

Then seniors usually want an edgy shot they want for their friends.

I've also told seniors that the shots they purchase can be used as headshots for the start of their modeling portfolio as well if they are interested in modeling.

These aren't just senior shots, but they end up being some of the nicest shots these students have of themselves up until then.

I follow Creative Edge Seniors on Flickr as well.

http://www.pictureyourworld.net/Port...04846571_EfvR5

Member #
    Images
    I am thinking of the templates like these people sell:

http://www.naturalcolorlab.com/whats...rtraittemp.php

http://photoduds.com/

etc.

I can see selling an animated slideshow like you are talking about.

Member #
    Any photo that can impart feelings, emotions, memories or just tell a simple story of the past are FAR from "gimmicky". Some may take photos, buy them, whatever and stick them away in a box in the attic but dont think for a second everyone does this. Both my parents for example still keep my senior pictures and proudly display them in their homes. My grand parents were highschool sweethearts...when my grandmother(she was the last to go) died a few years ago, their entire memorial service was decorated with their senior photos from the 1930's. It was a very cool and very touching way to remember and honor them.

As far as those templates your seeing in magazines C, yes, most are VERY gimmicky in my eyes also. Most of the actions are stuff that is easily duplicated in PS...most of them are for the incredibly lazy! But alas, some like to be lazy, so if it work for them, i wont knock it. With that said though, there are some good plug-ins and what not that can make your post processing life, simpler, easier and faster. Portraiture, im sure as youve seen, for example...GREAT program and can save hours when it comes to the daunting task of skin retouching. Any program you use on a regular basis and can make your processing go faster if far from gimmicky. The templates themselves can be whipped up in no time if your PS savy and can be reused over and over again with little to no tweaking later down the road for other jobs.
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot [/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Hesperia-CA/Caught-My-Eye-Photography/366899572049?ref=ts"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][B]Caught My Eye Photography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
    [QUOTE=Steve]I was WRONG![/QUOTE]

Member #
    Images
    Plugins are a different animal than the template things I referred to above. Portraiture rocks!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    Plugins are a different animal than the template things I referred to above. Portraiture rocks!
    I was just speaking all things "post processing cheating" in general.

Member #
    I don't think those templates are gimmicky. As a matter of fact, I had two clients this year ask specifically about whether I could create those for them or not.

In the end, I suppose nothing is gimmicky if it's something that the client will pay for and wants.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thenimirra View Post

In the end, I suppose nothing is gimmicky if it's something that the client will pay for and wants.
    Bingo!

Member #
    Images
    I wasn't using "gimmicky" in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by thenimirra View Post
    Truth. If you don't provide what a customer wants, someone else will, regardless of what the product is.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro600 View Post
    Any photo that can impart feelings, emotions, memories or just tell a simple story of the past are FAR from "gimmicky". Some may take photos, buy them, whatever and stick them away in a box in the attic but dont think for a second everyone does this. Both my parents for example still keep my senior pictures and proudly display them in their homes. My grand parents were highschool sweethearts...when my grandmother(she was the last to go) died a few years ago, their entire memorial service was decorated with their senior photos from the 1930's. It was a very cool and very touching way to remember and honor them.
    My grandma still has large senior portraits of each of her kids and smaller senior portraits of every one of her grandchildren on the wall in her house. And both my mom & MIL have senior portraits of all their kids on the wall.
    Just a girly little Jeep...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    I am thinking of the templates like these people sell:

http://www.naturalcolorlab.com/whats...rtraittemp.php

http://photoduds.com/

etc.

I can see selling an animated slideshow like you are talking about.
    I wanted to bring this thread back to life since ive got 3 senior portrait shoots coming up here quick and one of them has expressed interest in doing a small layout like these.

Did you ever find any good(free is AWESOME!) templates??

Member #
    It's odd that none of my clients want the templates.They prefer my style of lighting & angles along with a willingness and ability to capture their attitude and personality both in the studio and on location,in addition to the headshots for the annual.They don't want the normal stuff that all their friends and classmates have.
    just my .02 cents,but with the rate of inflation by the time it posts it's reduced to .01 cent.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rockkrusher View Post
    It's odd that none of my clients want the templates.They prefer my style of lighting & angles along with a willingness and ability to capture their attitude and personality both in the studio and on location,in addition to the headshots for the annual.They don't want the normal stuff that all their friends and classmates have.
    Well, one of them has expressed an interest in having 3-5 pictures on 5x7(or somewhere there about) prints...like one larger one to the left or right and having a couple-few smaller ones on the other side broken up with a border or something. Im sure its nothing i couldnt whip up in photoshop but if there are premade ones out there that look decent, im all for it.

Im not too hot on the idea either but whatever the customer wants!!

The other two have given me free reign to do pretty much whatever i want...which makes for a happy photographer...
    Last edited by Jeffro600; March 28th, 2010 at 10:31 PM.