Fixing a hole in sidewall?

I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but its worth a try, is there any way to fix this? Tire has less than 500 miles on it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    It was me!

I think you're screwed.

This was posted on planetisuzoo by a guy who works at Big O tires..

Heads up for those of you who OffRoad and or Have tires repaired.

DOT has set a new tire repair guidelines that, by LAW, tire shops have to follow. This means any Puncture that is in the side wall or shoulder, or shoulder to side wall area of the tire is a NONE REPAIRABLE PUNCTURE. So before you throw a fit at a tire shop when they try to pitch you this and sell you a new tire or a used one, PLEASE understand that all they are doing is protecting YOU, and THEM from any Liability.

If the hole Exceeds A diameter of about a 1/4 inch, Kiss that tire good bye, even if it is in the Center Tread.

ALL Tire repairs are at the descretion of the shop. If they feel the tire is too old to Repair, they have the choice not to repair it even if the tire is 8 years old and BRAND NEW TREAD. Tires do have an Experation Date per say, Or if The tire is not repairable period.

Dont think that they are BS-ing you, talk to them as to why its not repairable. Even if the tire has 10 miles on it and you run something over causing it to be Ruined.

Please Stay away from "Fixing it Yourself" unless you have to, This is why we have Spare Tires ( I know for a fact that 99% of people out there are just too Friggin Lazy to bolt on a spare tire, or do not know how.... ). If you attempt to put a Plug in a Tire, you run the chance of not getting it repaired because of the Plug you put in. You can actually make the hole bigger or start tearing up Cords under the tread.

Sorry to break the news, but the DOT is cracking down EXTREAMLY hard on tire shops, and Tire shops that do not follow this Guideline run a risk of being shut down.

Heads up for those of you who dont trust Tire shops or think you know what is repairable and whats not. It is soley the tire shops descretion to repair or not, so dont get upset if your tire that has 10 or 30,000 miles is rendered non repairable. its not the tire shops fault, its yours.

I had to deal with a Guy who had his tires slashed right where the tread meets sidewall and was REALLLLLY upset that we couldnt fix them. Like we had to ask him to leave the shop he was so upset. its not our fault and some people just DO NOT understand that at all.
    --Dave
    1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 5 Speed 33x12.50-15 Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 4" Lift - Rancho 9000x - No-Slip Locker rear

FAWK! Its gonna be a real PITA finding another old style MT....

Member #
    There really is no reliable way to fix it...you can jam a shit ton of plugs in there and it will probably hold...but for how long and is it worth risking a blowout on the highway? Ive stupidly ran tires with sidewall gashes MUCH MUCH worse than that...put about 30ish plugs in them and they held air for a long time and several wheeling trips later but i wouldnt recommend it in any way, shape or form for a rig thats going to see much street use.

Keep your eyes open...they arent as hard to find as you would think for the more common sizes. Patch that one and keep it for a spare.
    Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot
    Caught My Eye Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I was WRONG!

as long as your not driving at any speeds i would use a patch kit on the inside of the tire and do it right, but honestly every shop i ever worked at would not touch sidewall damage the tire is FUBAR by all industries standards. Might i suggest a MTR Wrangler with kevlar side walls?
    Duck tape...coat hangers...and some grease and we can go anywhere....

Member #
    Images
    Go old school. Put a tube in it.
    Tom Houston Loveland, Colorado
    Former President NAXJA National

Member #
    Images
    you could probably get it to hold air by booting it and a tube, but i'd only run it as a spare only.

you've got a lot riding on your tires.
    03 Rubicon - Locked & Loaded
    Colorado Off Road
    4x4Trails.net

Member #
    Why couldn't you run a tube?
    One flopped yota

Member #
    Images
    There is a tire shop on the west slope that vulcanizes side wall repairs. BlueXJ and I both have had it done in the last month. Mine was a 2 inch slice in the same place as the OP's but on a krawler. Jasons was on an Irok. $20 ~ $40 you can see the repair but there is no hole or patch on the outside of the tire. We told them they are trailered offroad rigs so they hooked us up. I will not say the name on here so as not to get them in trouble. But PM me and I'll tell ya.

Member #
    Images
    tube it
    ASE Master Tech
    '95 XJ 44s and 35s
    I used to be a people person. People ruined that.

Member #
    Images
    For a trailered rig, I'd patch it in a heart beat but for on the road driving, stopping the air leak does nothing towards reversing the structural damage. My thoughts...

Andy

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    FAWK! Its gonna be a real PITA finding another old style MT....
    What size?

Member #
    Problem with a tube is potentially pinching it...which becomes a real possibility when aired down and in the rocks where the sidewalls become contorted and twisted up.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMonkey View Post
    What size?
    I should be able to get ahold of a 33x12.50x15 if by chance that's what you have
    It's a Jeep thing.. Daimler wouldn't understand

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JR4X View Post
    There is a tire shop on the west slope that vulcanizes side wall repairs. BlueXJ and I both have had it done in the last month. Mine was a 2 inch slice in the same place as the OP's but on a krawler. Jasons was on an Irok. $20 ~ $40 you can see the repair but there is no hole or patch on the outside of the tire. We told them they are trailered offroad rigs so they hooked us up. I will not say the name on here so as not to get them in trouble. But PM me and I'll tell ya.
    This^^^

I have dealt with them also and have had no problems with my repair (I do use it as a spare on a trailer queen). How much driving do you do on the street?
    F-Toy #F002- BFGoodrich Tires, Yukon Gear/Randys Ring & Pinon

"pretexts for taking away the property are never wanting; for he who has once begun to live by robbery will always find pretexts for seizing what belongs to others"

Tires are 33x10.50x15. It's on my DD. I can't risk a blowout.

Been calling around, BFG has one for $200. Sucks when I paid 135 a piece but with the limited availability I'm stuck.

Member #
    Bringing this thread up from the dead I found this on 4Lo.com

How-to Fix Broken Tire Sidewall
    Here's what can happen when you cross stream beds covered with jagged rocks. I think the kids counted the number of stream crossings on the Kane Creek trail (in Moab) to be around 30 or 40. This was during a downpour, see Moab97. The break was about an inch and a half long on the outside and about a half inch on the inside.

Before

After

The guys at J.W. Brewer Tire in Denver were able to scrape out the old damaged rubber, fill the cut with uncured rubber, and then oven bake it at extreme temperatures to repair an otherwise useless tire. The other option would have been to put a boot on the inside. I believe I made the better choice and it was only around $20 bucks. I've been 4wheeling with it and drive it daily at highway speeds. No problems.

http://www.4lo.com/misc/tires/repaired.html

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    I think you're screwed.

This was posted on planetisuzoo by a guy who works at Big O tires..
    yay more regulations from the gubment

Member #
    Images
    There's no trouble for them to get into. I've had a torn sidewall repaired there for ~$40. It's probably stronger than the rest of the tire now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    There's no trouble for them to get into. I've had a torn sidewall repaired there for ~$40. It's probably stronger than the rest of the tire now.
    Thats enough for me, looks like at least I'll have a nice, and nearly new full size spare

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I would daily drive on mine and wouldnt think twice about it its such a good repair. If it werent a spensive azz kralwer anyway. Once I wheeled on it once you cant even tell except where they had to buff the letters off on one spot.

PM sent