Member #

97 cherokee transmission shift solenoid??

Ok my wifes Cherokee is shifting from 1st to over drive unless i shift it manual. It has a code for the "transmission Shift Solenoid relay condition".

Where is that relay located?
    Mike Clifton
    98' TJ, 6"s of lift, 35's, 4.56 gears, 9k winch, daily driver......

77' CJ5, 304 CI, 3 speed, 6.5' Western plow, winter plow truck.

inside the transmission. Check your TPS? is it cycling through the gears, or skipping 2 and 3?

'Screw you guys, I'm going home" Frank Z's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Need to know the code number please.

Dollars to donuts it's either dirty NSS or a brake switch out of adjustment.
    [COLOR=RED][B][URL="http://attacked911.tripod.com/"]9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!![/URL] [/COLOR][/B] (<---<<click)
    :usa:

Member #
    Images
    When my 90 did that it was the TPS.
    [URL="http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?p=1617763#post1617763"]90 Cherokee LTD[/URL]
    Mike

Member #
    seems as though it completely skips 2nd and 3rd.

I ran to auto zone and had them run the codes and it pulled three codes total.

p1898
    p0320
    p0753

Member #
    Images
    The relay is in the power distribution box under the hood.

Check all the fuses first.

P0753 is 3-4 shift solenoid/ trans relay. ... usually a fuse or bad relay

P0320 is no crank reference at PCM... likely a ghost code if it is running fine....

P1898.. no code listed under that number... sure about that one?
    ASE Master Tech
    '95 5.9 XJ on 44s and 35s
    Owner/Operator 4 On The Floor Automotive

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    The relay is in the power distribution box under the hood.

Check all the fuses first.

P0753 is 3-4 shift solenoid/ trans relay. ... usually a fuse or bad relay

P0320 is no crank reference at PCM... likely a ghost code if it is running fine....

P1898.. no code listed under that number... sure about that one?
    Yeah it's running perfect, just doesn't shift correct.

I looked in the relay/fuse box under the hood and found nothing that said a word about transmission issues. Is there a certian relay/fuse i need to check?

Member #
    Images
    sorry... no relay in the 97 xj... just a fuse; fuse #16 in the PDC

It runs a number of other things too... so unless the gages, and radio are inop also, the fuse is likely ok.

Member #
    sorry... no relay in the 97 xj... just a fuse; fuse #16 in the PDC

It runs a number of other things too... so unless the gages, and radio are inop also, the fuse is likely ok.
    AHHH helll.... well everything works as well as it always has other than the shifting.

So is this relay something I can easily get to by pulling the pan and filter or something?

thanksforevery ones help and comments thus far

Member #
    Images
    there is no relay.

it needs to be diagnosed.. might be a TPS... Might be a shift solenoid...might be a wiring problem ...

Member #
    there is no relay.

it needs to be diagnosed.. might be a TPS... Might be a shift solenoid...might be a wiring problem ...

Ok so is the shift solenoid like a ford auto trans and located inside the tranny?

It just started doing this out of no where. So i'm not thinking wiring issue.....TPS as in Throttle possition sensor?

Yup, TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. It's not uncommon with the XJ. If your search doesn't find it here, check www.naxja.org and do some searching. They're becoming more Pirate-like over there and yelling at all the noobs who ask before searching.
    ☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌ 
    / \ Copy and paste him
    Jim - www.yuccaman.com - '04 LJ Unlimited

Member #
    I have searched and searched and all that I have found points to the Shift Solenoids being faulty.

Here is an AWESOME write up on "How to" swap them out.

Sorry his picture host has expired....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...no-56k-717206/

This started off with a friends 1997 Cherokee Sport. His vehicle is equipped with the 4.0, AW4, and 231 case.

While playing around in 4wd, he noticed his CEL light come on and the Jeep was very sluggish on acceleration. It felt as though the Jeep was trying to take off in 3rd gear. When he manually placed it in 1/2 and accelerated, the Jeep accelerated as it should. He also had to manually shift it to 3rd and OD. While driving down the highway, it became obvious that the TQ was also not locking up (running 3k rpm at 70mph). I had him take it to AutoZone and have the codes ran, and it showed codes:

P0700- Transmission Control System Malfunction
    P0758- Shift Solenoid B Electrical.

I did some research on here and a few other sites, and found this write up for PRE-97 models.....http://www.transonline.com/transdige...ers/index.html

On the 97 and up, the TCU is located under the dash on the right side of the steering column. I could not find a diagram that showed how to test the TCU on a 97 up Cherokee, so I did the next best thing. I crawled around underneath and checked all the wires coming out of the tranny. I found no lose wires, kinks, or breaks. This lead me to believe it was a Solenoid.

I started by ordering a 2 pack of Solenoids for $98 here:
    http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...2&Category_Cod e=A340solenoid

Remember, the AW4 is the same as the Toyota A340, so this is what the parts will say when you get them.

Once the parts arrived, I went to the parts store and picked up a filter/ gasket kit and 3 qts of tranny fluid. Once I had the stuff I needed, it was time to get dirty....

Start off by draining the tranny fluid using the drain plug...

Next, I removed the 10mm bolts holding the transmission pan on (hint: leave 2 on one side in so the pan does not fall to the floor when you break the seal on the gasket...saves on the mess)...

Continued....

I had a heck of a time getting the dipstick tube loose, so I left it attached to the pan. To do this, you will need to remove the bracket that holds the tube to the bellhousing (13mm). This can be easily accessed from the engine compartment...

Once I had the pan dropped, I got a better look at the internals...

Here is a quick MS Paint label job of the solenoids. The front of the Jeep is on your left, so the #2 solenoid (b) is the one all alone.

#1 1/2-3/4 shift solenoid
    #2 2/3 shift solenoid.
    OD- OD solenoid.

Next, remove the 4 bolts holding on the tranny filter (which holds a suprising amount of fluid...lol)..

Now we use the 10mm again, and remove the #1 and #2 Solenoid bolts. Once you have the bolt out, the Solenoids merely pull straight out.

Here is the old (right) and new (left). Notice the new solenoid has a ground wire. This is attached to the bolt when you re-install the solenoid

Continued......

To install the new solenoids, you merely push them in to the hole where the old solenoid was. You will then attach the supplied bracket to the solenoid and bolt it down. Remember to attach the ground wire to the bolt!! The new solenoids come with a longer wire, but a little routing can solve the problem.

New B (#2) Solenoid installed...

New #1 Solenoid installed....

You will now install the new Transmission filter, using the original bolts. Once it is installed, you can clean your pan and transmission housing of old gasket. Now you are ready to re-install the transmission pan. Don't forget to put the drain plug back in and re-attach the dipstick bracket.

I started off by putting 2 qts of tranny fluid in. I hooked the battery back up and started the Jeep. I then ran it through the gears, and it worked I took the Jeep for a quick test drive and it solved all the tranny issues. The jeep would take off in 1st, shift on its own, and the TQ would lock-up as it should. After the test drive, I checked the fluid level and added 1 more quart.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any Questions.

JOhn

Web site changing to http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/