Thread: New to shutterbug, I need opinions on outdoor/nature cameras.

Member #

Question New to shutterbug, I need opinions on outdoor/nature cameras.

With Christmas coming in a few months, I am doing my homework now on the camera I am going after. I am new to the whole deal so this will be my first dslr. I took a photo class in college with 35mm and used my dads stuff, so everything I buy will be new to me. Used is fine and my budget for now is in the $700-800 range. I know that's not huge but I need to start somewhere. I am thinking 2 lenses, and a body.

I dont have a preference on brand yet, I have been lurking here a bit and am confused on what will work best to start. I am into wheeling (obviously), hunting, hiking, boating, and fishing. Lots of stuff where weather is a concern.

What is a good starter camera that is quiet (animal shots) and durable (weather resistant, if that exists). I dont need to many features that I wont use right away, and is reasonable priced for getting started, or am I asking to much? TIA
    95 ZJ, Lift, dents, and noise.

Member #
    Images
    Olympus E3 is one of the most weather resistant dSLR's out there.
    Chester Bullock
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/coskier
    My drone photography - http://instagram.com/gypsy_drone

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    Olympus E3 is one of the most weather resistant dSLR's out there.
    And also well outside his budget...

Personally, id look for a cheap body...like a used Canon XTi or something along those lines and buy a couple nice lenses. Youll find the more you shoot, camera bodies are rarely the limitations(sporting events aside where professional grade auto focusing and high rates of FPS rule the road)...good glass is the biggest and best investment you can make in photography as far as picture quality goes.
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot [/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Hesperia-CA/Caught-My-Eye-Photography/366899572049?ref=ts"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][B]Caught My Eye Photography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
    [QUOTE=Steve]I was WRONG![/QUOTE]

Member #
    Images
    Haven't priced one for a while. Are they still pretty high?

Member #
    Most places are well over 1000...just for the body.

Member #
    Aren't all the Olympus bodies better sealed than their Nikon/Canon competitors?

Canon seems to be catching back up, but Nikon still holds an edge in the DSLR arena IMHO.

Check out www.dpreview.com for the best, most unbiased, reviews I have seen.
    President, CO Chapter TTORA
    Check out www.ttora.com, and www.yotatech.com to 'wheel with great Toyota folks!
    1993 Toyota 4Runner with some armor, lockers, dual cases and stuff ...
    Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    Aren't all the Olympus bodies better sealed than their Nikon/Canon competitors?
    Alot of variables...and none of them are completely weather tight.

Either way, sealed or not, i wouldnt be subjecting them to massive amounts of water. Some simple precautions will keep your gear from getting soaked though.

Member #
    I got a the Canon DLSR with a 70-300 lens for $600 a couple months back. I already had other canon lens from my canon 35 MM so it was a good deal.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro600 View Post
    And also well outside his budget...

Personally, id look for a cheap body...like a used Canon XTi or something along those lines and buy a couple nice lenses. Youll find the more you shoot, camera bodies are rarely the limitations(sporting events aside where professional grade auto focusing and high rates of FPS rule the road)...good glass is the biggest and best investment you can make in photography as far as picture quality goes.

Agree with this 100%. And pick up a water resistant case for it and call it good. saw an XT on Craigslist for $100 earlier today.
    Your ACTIONS are speaking so loud I can hardly hear you
    2005 GMC Yukon SLT - pounds pavement good!

Member #
    Thanks, for the help. I was away on vacation on the Outer Banks this past week and was really wishing I had one already. It also solidified my desire to have something more weather resistant. Ocean spray is constantly getting on everything there.

Member #
    If your really worried about your gear getting wet, id look at these...all can be had for less than 300 bucks. These are all true "water proof cameras"

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209waterproofgroup/

Personally, i dont care how "weather resistant" a maker claims their gear to be...things happen, seals fail and regardless, their not "waterproof" by any means. And i dont know about you, but most SLR gear aint cheap and id probably cry like a baby if i just ruined a new 1000 dollar lens or body because it got wet.

Get a nice setup for more controllable conditions...get a cheap, throw around, weather resistant beater for when you plan on getting dirty...or wet!
    Last edited by Jeffro600; September 28th, 2009 at 06:21 PM.