How do you secure your winch (anti-theft measures)?

I was just curious what measures you guys take to prevent your winch from walking away. I just installed mine and got to wondering how likely it is to walk off. I really don't want to grind off bolt heads. Waddya got?

Thx

Chris
    "Someone else says the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and drank whiskey and played poker with the locals until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead." ---'98 XJ, 2" lift, all open, 31's.

Member #
    Images
    Put a small tack weld on each bolt head. Easy enough to grind down if you need to get the winch off.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cresso View Post
    Put a small tack weld on each bolt head. Easy enough to grind down if you need to get the winch off.
    x2, the only way besides taking it off when not in use
    87 samurai, 100 ich wheelbase, f & R 3-link coils, yota axles, 1.6 fi,
    and a
    yj

That's what I did.
    America, land without a president as of 1-20-09 R.I.P.

Member #
    Same here! On both jeeps.
    Jeeps...

Member #

Wheel locks

Could you use wheel locks? find bolts the same diameter and pitch as the locks, cheap and easy
    Metalhed
    Rock on Dude

Weld em.
    2001 Isuzu Trooper. Bone stock.

Member #
    Images
    wheel locks do no good. we do a lot of used vihicle check ins for sales at our shop and most do not have keys. there is easy ways of getting them off that doesn't slow most down. they are like that thing you put on you steering wheel, a waste of money
    Last edited by quadracer812; August 25th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.

Member #
    Images
    I've welded steel freeze plugs (pooly) over some winch bolt heads, but prefer thin channel stock; both make good "bolt covers" -- There's been a little discussion on how the heat from welding will impact the bolt strength, and honestly, I hope I never need that extra .25Kpsi of shear-strength.

I'd say weld channel to cover the bolt to preclude the crook from fitting a wrench (2 @ 6" lengths = coverage for 4 bolts)

Really, welding the bolt directly works well, but remember that if your crook is sporting an open-end, or adjustible wrench that he can prolly find 2-flat sides to get a good hold of that bolt so your weld's gotta stick well (more than a spot tack).

I've seen guys just glob on JB weld, then paint it -- Is a crook gonna analyze why his wrench don't fit?

No worries here. On my JK I installed a Powerplant on a Teraflex Rockguard front bumper. Took the patience of Job and the hands of a surgeon just to get the bolts started. Getting to to them is like searching for the Lost Ark: You can find them, but getting them back off might take a couple lifetimes. Sorta like the Gordian knot. Whoever designed the darn bumper for Teraflex is sadistic SOB, that's for sure.

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    I installed my winch on a Subaru, behind the radiator Who in their right mind would look for it or be brave enough to touch it
    "If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." Thomas Jefferson

I have seen a padlock used on the winch cable wrapped around the bumper. Mine is in the garage so not a huge deal. I am also a fan a red lock tite, it will not prevent a real theft but those bolts are not easy to remove.
    Matt
    Always TOPLESS
    1995 full size Bronco
    Finally geared 4.56 and locked in the rear

Member #
    Images
    I have insurance.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Put a skid plate over that back two bolts. Can't even pull my winch w/o pulling the radiator first. Kind of a PITA, but that's the idea I guess.
    Christian

If it don't kill yah.....it'll make for a great story later :)

Huh. I like the JB Weld idea. My luck with welding lately seems to be I'll have it done in six months after going through three different welders. JB Weld should be sufficient to deter all but the most serious attempts. Maybe I'll try that.

Thanks guys!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp View Post
    I installed my winch on a Subaru
    Great idea, where can I find a Subaru that fits on the front of my truck?
    92 Cherokee Laredo<br />4.5" Lift, 31x10.50 BFG AT's<br />Rock Rails, Skids, Disconnects<br />4:10 gears, Trac-Lock Rear <br />True Trac Front

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepTherapy View Post
    Great idea, where can I find a Subaru that fits on the front of my truck?

I'm sure I can park mine there

I did the channel iron method on my trailer winch and Jeep winch. I cover 1 bolt on each side.

Tuffy makes some nice bolt locks, it is basically a steel box that covers the bolt and comes off with a key. I use them to keep my HID lights from disappearing.
    Brian
    1942 Flatfender
    1991 Explorer

Member #
    88YJ - way over budget
    49ish M100 Willys trailer

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGuava View Post
    Put a skid plate over that back two bolts. Can't even pull my winch w/o pulling the radiator first. Kind of a PITA, but that's the idea I guess.
    Or a bunch of tube over the top of it - I hear that works well, even when the winch splits in half.

Seriously though - I never did anything special to the winch on my rig when I had it, and I've never heard of anyone having their winch stolen. Seems like the only person you'd be slowing down from removing your winch is yourself. If you've got a receiver mounted hitch, yeah, get a locking pin for it.

Member #
    Images
    X 30 on the tack weld.

Quote Originally Posted by theirishavenger View Post
    I was just curious what measures you guys take to prevent your winch from walking away. I just installed mine and got to wondering how likely it is to walk off. I really don't want to grind off bolt heads. Waddya got?

Thx

Chris
    I bought a Ramsey winch, cause all the good folks on here are busy telling people that only the Warn's are worth stealing

Member #
    Images
    I stay out of those neighborhoods.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Or a bunch of tube over the top of it - I hear that works well, even when the winch splits in half.
    Haha, forgot about that method, secured even from myself! Couldn't get it out w/o a sawzall. But, I learned how to take apart, and put a 9.5ti back together inside of a winch plate surrounded by tube.

Member #
    Images
    Mines big and ugly with gobs of gear oil dripping off it. Scares away thieves.

Member #
    Images
    I keep it belted in the passenger seat when wheeling and in the house when not.

Oh, you meant winch, not wench. Never mind.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoJeeper View Post
    I bought a Ramsey winch, cause all the good folks on here are busy telling people that only the Warn's are worth stealing
    I've got you beat. Mile Marker here.

That POS couldn't possibly be worth stealing, according to many here.

It's worked great for years, btw.....

Member #
    Images
    I run a receiver winch and have mounted a receiver in the back of my XJ. I wired 2 gauge welding cable to 400a Andersen disconnects both front and rear. The mount is bolted down has a locking pin that would be a bitch to get where you could cut it. My winch is 5 years old and has no rust.
    Tom Houston Loveland, Colorado
    Former President NAXJA National

I tack welded everything. Seems resonably secure. I have learned to lock up more stuff too. A wheeling friend told me of he got back to his jeep in Utah and headed down the road. Then the wheels started shaking loose in short order. Someone had tried to steal all his wheels but only the locking lugnuts kept him from having to walk.

Member #
    I find an NRA sticker on the windshield works just fine!!!!!

I dont ever take it to town.....
    [COLOR=DarkRed][B]Kev - Alpine Spirit[COLOR=Black] - 2002 X, Chopped, Swapped and Locked[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="http://jeffreal.com"]Mtn Real Estate [/URL]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Seriously though - I never did anything special to the winch on my rig when I had it, and I've never heard of anyone having their winch stolen. Seems like the only person you'd be slowing down from removing your winch is yourself. If you've got a receiver mounted hitch, yeah, get a locking pin for it.
    x2.