Thread: Older camera question

Member #

Older camera question

My mom's camera, from the 70s I think, is showing it's age. It is a Pentax K1000, Cimko MT 8200mm zoom lens. Some of the foam inside the camera is falling apart, and falling onto the mirror. Her zoom lens has some coating on the inside lens that is coming off as well. Is this something that she can get fixed? She likes taking pictures, but doesn't get out much to do it anymore. And I know that the likelihood of her taking the camera in to get fixed is slim, which is why I'm looking for info to pass along so she might actually do it. If the camera was in good working order, she'd be more likely to get out and use the thing(she needs to pick up a hobby anyways).

Any help would be great, thanx!

edit: While I'm at it, she could use a recommendation for a new bag. She is using her Dad's old leather bag, which is getting ready to literally fall apart. Maybe something backpack like, as she did complain about the camera bag being a bit heavy when she was out here hiking this past week(it's a should strap only bag).
    Last edited by TitanV; August 4th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.

Member #
    Honestly, you'd be better off buying a new camera...not only from a technology advancement point, but from price also...it would probably cost you just as much, if not more to fix hers than it would to just buy a new, or slightly used setup.
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot [/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Hesperia-CA/Caught-My-Eye-Photography/366899572049?ref=ts"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][B]Caught My Eye Photography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
    [QUOTE=Steve]I was WRONG![/QUOTE]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro600 View Post
    Honestly, you'd be better off buying a new camera...not only from a technology advancement point, but from price also...it would probably cost you just as much, if not more to fix hers than it would to just buy a new, or slightly used setup.
    Ok... then recommendations? I don't know much about cameras, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be happy to finish the research myself.

Is it worth staying with the K style lens, to use the lens she already has? Or get a complete new setup?
    Last edited by TitanV; August 4th, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Member #
    What kind of budget?

Member #
    Well i did a quick search for digital SLRs, and it looks like they start around $400 or so. Which might be doable, but I don't know how a $400 dSLR compares to anything else. And it seems no one makes new film SLRs anymore, so if she wanted to stay film it'd have to be used. She did mention wanting a dSLR though last week.

So I guess an answer to your question, is it'd be nice to stick around $300 or less.

Member #
    Images
    If they start at $400, you are trying to stay under $300? That doesn't add up.
    Chester Bullock
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/coskier
    My drone photography - http://instagram.com/gypsy_drone

Member #
    Images
    Used XTi would be in that budget.
    Your ACTIONS are speaking so loud I can hardly hear you
    2005 GMC Yukon SLT - pounds pavement good!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Used XTi would be in that budget.
    Yup...heck, even an XT would work well and can easily be had for less than 300.

Member #
    I'll look into that, thanx.