Thread: Batteries

Member #

Batteries

So, my fleet of foam planes is powered by the same batteries. 3 cell 2200 mAh Lipos. In the past I've just picked them up at the hobby shop and grimaced at the price- about $50-55 on average for a 12C rated pack. I've got 6 of them right now and the newest is about 4 months old.

I've seen Zippy packs and others online, pretty cheap and had thought about getting some through a web store. Just hadn't gotten around to it yet. The other day I was over at Things With Wings in Greeley (awesome store by the way, if you haven't been there) and he had some cheap packs fresh off the boat from Hong Kong. Zippys minus the stickers by the looks of them. 2200 mAh, 22C, 22 dollars. I thought hell, I'll throw one of these cheapies on my floatplane, who cares if it gets wet. Thought the floatplane seemed to have a little more zip..

Put the new battery on my Stryker with a wattmeter attached. Would you believe the $55 battery made 250 watts and the $22 battery made 400 watts? Nothing else was changed. Same on the Typhoon, a fresh expensive pack showed 140 watts and the half discharged cheapie did 165? Or in real terms, the Typhoon went from hovering at 7/8 throttle to hovering at half throttle, and a speck in the sky vertical in under a minute.

Get ya some!

Member #
    Images
    Good to know, I need some new lipo packs.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?