Member #

Question TJ AutoCAD drawing.

Hello,
    I'm building my own lift for a 1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler and will be designing everything fresh from the frame down.
    I figure that I am not the first to do such a task so I am hoping someone might have a Autodesk Auto CAD .dwg (or compatible .dxf) file of a
    TJ frame with locations of the;
    -spring perches
    -shock mounts
    -steering box/pitman arm
    -stock control arm mounts
    -Track bar mount
    -X-case outputs
    -stock axle locations
    -(perhaps even oil pan would be good )

Even incomplete files would be a good jumping off point.
    I know these drawings are valuable so I hope someone will be in a generous mood

-Ryan
    Last edited by GrandWheeler; April 5th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
    I need a new hobby

Good luck. Lots have asked, none have found. There are some totaly worthless drawings floating around that I'm sure someone will post up.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Lots have asked, none have found.
    Sure, but it never hurts to ask...

If I don't get much of a response I would be even willing to work with someone to double check measurements and split CAD time with.

Member #
    Images
    CAD time isn't the issue.

Having easy access to a bare frame with the proper measuring tools is the hard part.

Member #
    Images
    it would be a thing of beauty to have access to a fresh frame and a CMM big enough to measure it...

I wish jeep would release their frame drawings to the public...

-Zach

94 Toyota Pickup, 4" Marlin, duals, e-lockers...
    I used to own a jeep...
    Click! for cheap York clutch!

I threw together a quick 3D frame for a TJ based on some 2D schematics I came across, but nothing ended lining up. The 2D drawings I had just didn't quite work and my Jeep was gone at the time so I had nothing to measure off of. If I can find that data I was working off of last time I will see if I can throw it together again.
    P

I do have a spectacular model of the H2 with a cut through of the drivetrain, and the full suspension, but I don't know who has the rights to it or who would ever want it.

Best I have found:

I can say the couple of EB and CJ frames I have measured were all a little different. I would imagine TJ frames, being newer, might have better manufacturing tolerances. Still, depending on how rough you are comfortable with, the above might work or at least get you started.

Member #
    Clod Hopper,
    That drawing is outstanding, Thank you VERY MUCH!

I will be starting work on a CAD version, I will keep the work posted.

Good luck. That's what I used and had nothing but problems with. I will be very excited if you sort it out! Admittedly it would have been easier ifI had my Jeep to measure off of when I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandWheeler View Post
    Clod Hopper,
    That drawing is outstanding, Thank you VERY MUCH!

I will be starting work on a CAD version, I will keep the work posted.

Yep, those are the ones I referenced. Of no use what-so-ever. Good luck though. It would be cool to have an accurate model. You would need either a big ass CMM or one of those mobile CMM's to get it done though. There are people in the Denver area that can do if you have enough $$$$$$$.

You can get all of the measurements you really need with a flat floor, a tape measure and a plumb bob.

Member #
    Images
    Agreed with the previous posts - that drawing contains almost zero useful information. Once you try & derive anything from it, you'll understand.

The fact it's metric is nice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlueCJ7 View Post
    The fact it's metric is nice, though.
    Canadian Infidel!!

I measure in feet and inches because I have two of each.

I wouldn't be shocked if some are metric and some imperial. Just like the bolts on my jeep.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    Canadian Infidel!!

I measure in feet and inches because I have two of each.
    I was shopping the tool section of Sears a few weeks ago, and came across the world's greatest tape measure. Metric AND imperial measure.

I bought two.

Just to ask (And I'm not trying to be a jerk)...

Why are you doing this? I just want to know what the advantage is, what you want that a already manufactured kit doesn't have?

TJ's are awesome because you can buy parts and bolt them on.
    Hacked XJ gone. Proud JK owner.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shadyxj View Post
    Why are you doing this?
    No offense taken, and can see where you are coming from
    Personally why I do this is because
    #1 It's a fun way to challenge myself, and isn't that why we 4-wheel in the first place?
    #2 I believe for the lift I am going to build will be MUCH tougher than one I can buy, because of what you said, it won't be a "bolt on"
    #3 I think I can build a lift cheaper than one I can buy it for. Giving me more of an excuse to buy tools, like a plasma cutter

On another note, did some CAD work today and think I am off to a great start. I believe I figured out why people had some problems with getting there dimension to line up exactly. The photo in the picture is slightly stretched and rotated, but I think I was able to straighten it up to produce pretty accurate results.

Here are some screen shots:
    Ortho:

Side:

Top:

I made copies in both mm and inch scale. If you would like a copy of the .dwg file I have so far shoot me a PM and tell me what you are going to be using it for. I would also appreciate volunteers to double check my measurements.
    -BTW: If you try and use these drawings to make money, I will f***ing kill you, No but seriously, I will hunt you down.
    -Ryan
    Last edited by GrandWheeler; April 7th, 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyxj View Post
    Just to ask (And I'm not trying to be a jerk)...

Why are you doing this? I just want to know what the advantage is, what you want that a already manufactured kit doesn't have?

TJ's are awesome because you can buy parts and bolt them on.
    Every kit on the market makes compromises to make the kit user friendly, cheap to install and be a "one kit fit's all". If you want the best design for what YOU will use the rig for and how YOU will set it up you need to do it specific to YOUR rig. I think building my rig myself is 90% of what 4 wheeling is about. If it was just run what someone else built I'd probably just find something else to waste my on, bumping along dirt roads isnít enough to justify the $$$$ I have into this damn thing.

As for your reasoning why TJ's are awesome, I'd argue that this why they suck, too many cookie cutter Jeeps running around.

I'd agree with GrandWheeler on all three of his points except he'll soon find out that he'll spend more on tools than he saved over just buying a "bolt on". Still worth every penny though.

BTW, GrandWheeler, good start, glad you were able to make some sense of em.

I really admire the time and magnitude of undertaking this project. This could turn out to be super cool.

Me on the other hand would rather bolt on a Tera Pro kit and spend time wheeling... I think 90% of 4 wheeling is actually wheeling.

I wouldn't worry about the frame side of it as much as the suspension geometry.Search for the 4link calculator.
    CJ/buggy,FI406,465,205,D60,14boltFF on beadlocked 39.50 swampers.See build.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=134201
    '70Jeepster, 225,T-14,D20,10bolt,12bolt on 34/9.50/15 Swampers
    www.tubebuggies.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cheepin View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the frame side of it as much as the suspension geometry.Search for the 4link calculator.
    Yep, I was planning on using the trusty 4-link calculator but the calculator is useless if you don't know where the mounting points are and where the axle is positioned.
    Last edited by GrandWheeler; April 8th, 2009 at 08:05 AM.

Did you get my PM? I'd love to get a copy of that model
    JEEP TJ | 33x10.50 BFG KM2's | 4.56s | PSC Stinger | Aussie Locked D44Rear

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DETN8R View Post
    Did you get my PM? I'd love to get a copy of that model
    I was out at work, just sent e-mail.
    -Ryan
    Last edited by GrandWheeler; April 8th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.