Results 1 to 21 of 21
March 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM #1
Need some advice - dog swallowed sewing needle
My 5 year old lab just swallowed a standard 2" inch sewing needle with a short length of string threaded through the eye. She was sitting at me feet chewing on something - which is not uncommon. I look down to see the sharp tip of the needle sticking out of her mouth. By the time I manage pry her now locked jaws open, it's gone......damn it!
I've done some searching on the interwebby and the knee jerk reaction from pet owners is to take the dog to the vet, get x-rays and the gut cut open. However, some people that work with or are vets have posted that chances are it will pass naturally and you only have to worry if the dog stops eating/drinking or behavior changes.
Since we have so many pet owners here, I'd like to get the input here."The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
March 22nd, 2009, 10:13 AM #2
vet NOWTired of being tired.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......
Lunatic? just call me the duece
March 22nd, 2009, 10:14 AM #3
- Join Date
- Aug 2001
- Member #
Not worth the risk. Go to the vet.www.staythetrail.org
March 22nd, 2009, 10:14 AM #4
if it perforates an intestine, you wont have a lot of time to do anything for your friend.
March 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM #5
- Join Date
- Nov 2004
- Member #
March 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM #6
- Join Date
- Oct 2001
- Longmont, CO
- Member #
No question, vet immediately.2006 WK 5.7 Hemi
March 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM #7
Vet, it could get expensive quick though.
March 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM #8
Thanks to those that actually offered advice. Just got back from the vet ER with good news. They took a set of xrays to confirm the needle was in there. The dr. said more often than not, a dog of this size would simply pass the needle, but the thread complicated matters. The two options offered were induced vomiting or surgery. We opted for the vomiting since the risks were low and if it didn't work, surgery would have been needed anyways.
The technique worked without any damage and now were back home safe and sound and $300-odd lighter in the wallet.
Thanks again for the guidance guys!
March 22nd, 2009, 12:30 PM #9
good deal, 300 well spent. When you consider what a friend is worth
March 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM #10
Wow...kinda shocking to hear that they would let it pass or puke it up! Seems to me like theres alot of tight passages and really fleshy areas it could get snagged in....
Either way, glad to hear everything worked out fine![B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot [/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Hesperia-CA/Caught-My-Eye-Photography/366899572049?ref=ts"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][B]Caught My Eye Photography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
[QUOTE=Steve]I was WRONG![/QUOTE]
March 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM #11
You got off easy at $300. My German Shorthair ate a dish towel once and several THOUSAND dollars later he was back home and doing well.
Glad to hear the pup is OK.Pilot
"Have a little faith baby. Have a little faith."
Oddball - "Kelly's Heroes"
March 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM #12
Glad it turned out well.
March 22nd, 2009, 02:45 PM #13
Good to hear.The good old days-
March 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM #14
I know hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm still kicking myself for not putting the needle away when I saw it on the coffee table this morning or being able to get to her fast enough before she swallowed it.
My wife put it in perspective by saying that had I not seen her swallow it, we would have never known. And things could have been a lot worse.
March 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM #15
A friend's italian greyhound (small dog) just died last week from swallowing a string that became entangled in her insides.
I'm SO glad your buddy is OK!! When in doubt, ALWAYS call the vet. Sometimes even a few minutes can cost them their lives.~Melissa~
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat - Vergil
March 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM #16
BTW...if they would have done surgery, it would have been about $2k. I guess in the end, we have done whatever it takes as our dogs are our kids at this point in our lives. I really shouldn't have even thought about not taking her to the vet.
I'm really beginning to think if pet insurance may be prudent on her. She has not been cheap (knee surgery, ear infections, and this), but our mutt from the pound is bullet proof. Nothing wrong on him beyond regular check ups and vaccinations.
March 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM #17
March 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM #18
Damn dogs! Glad to hear yours is okay.
I once pulled about 90 yards of a 100yard roll of dental floss out of mine.
March 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM #19
So glad she's ok! I sew a lot and I sweep my sewing room about 3-4 times per project. I'm so paranoid they'll find a needle or pin or thread I've missed.2001 KTM 200 E/XC * 2001 Marauder * 1995 F150 * 1968 Mustang
March 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM #20
I would have fed it couple magnets....Just kidding.
I started an emergency "pet" savings accout a couple years ago that get 25 bucks a month for this exact instance. I have recently spent almost 1k on my horse and that was just for 2 visits to the vet. My pets are worth it too.***2000 XJ 4.5" ***2006 Cummins***
Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are friggen idiots.
March 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM #21
- Join Date
- Apr 2006
- Mini Soda
- Member #
Glad she's ok, way late in the thread but you definitely did the right thing, my wife being a vet tech sees these all the time.. they almost always just let them pass... but you don't want to be the one that needed it dealt with right away! Always better safe than sorry...
Good job going to the vet and laying out the cash... well worth it.'85 RamCharger-
4.56's, 37's, Spooled 14 bolt, 8 lug convert, mean 360
'7X dodge something... got the engine and axles
need the car...
By _CJ in forum The Great OutdoorsReplies: 2Last Post: May 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
By 05Willys in forum General Chit ChatReplies: 11Last Post: April 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM
By DaJudge in forum General Chit ChatReplies: 9Last Post: October 1st, 2008, 05:36 PM
By flashover in forum General 4x4 DiscussionReplies: 13Last Post: February 9th, 2007, 11:39 PM
By PhantomD AKA Zach in forum General 4x4 DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: December 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM