Member #
    Images

1953 Chevy truck conversion to a 4x4 frame?

So I got ahold of a 1953 chevy pickup and want to make it a 4x4. I have seen them before and they look great. What kind of doner vehicle do I need in order to swap the truck body over too in order to make this a reality. I was thinking a K-5 maybe? I dont know.
    Last edited by rescue6; March 12th, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
    Support our Troops, Every Last One of Them is There to Protect You

Member #
    Images
    Measure the wheelbase of the '53, and then find a 4x4 that's the same or close.

It won't be a simple swap to do it right...

Is it a Custom Cab model?

Member #
    Images
    It is a 3100 series three back windows. Great body needs engine and tranny anyway so I figured I could put it onto a 4x4 frame W/ a drivetrain already.

Member #
    Images
    I'd love to find a Custom Cab (has the corner windows on the back), chop it 4" or so and drop a V8 into it.

Member #
    A friend of mine did a 58 with a Blazer chasis, did have to lengthen it about 6"
    Blackish 91 YJ coiled blah blah blah.

I'm sure there's some guys on here http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...splay.php?f=13 that have done the same thing.
    ~Nora

Member #
    Blazer frame is a good starting point for almost any cab conversion. There was a Willys Wagon on a blazer frame on craigslist it was baddass

Member #
    Depending on wheelbase I would say a K5(or OJ bronco), a reg cab truck long or short bed.
    Pimpin aint easy.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by clemsonkrawler View Post
    Depending on wheelbase I would say a K5(or OJ bronco), a reg cab truck long or short bed.

Possibly even a Jeep Commando

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
    Possibly even a Jeep Commando
    I would say to use a good ol Waggy before a commando. They didnt have the strongest frames and are getting pretty hard to find, read: $$$.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'd love to find a Custom Cab (has the corner windows on the back), chop it 4" or so and drop a V8 into it.
    Yeah thats the one. It has the two corner windows and a middle one as well.

Member #
    There are a couple of groups online that are into NAPCO four wheel drive...old school conversions from a company in Minnesota. They actually bolted on to Chevrolets, GMCs, Fords, and Studebaker trucks of your vintage and newer. I have a 57 Chevy 1/2 ton project that I'm building using that set up. Google NAPCO and you'll find some interesting options. That said, Blazer runnning gear will work as well. Good Luck.

LJ
    1985 CJ-7 258 TBI HEI T-5 AMC 20 3:73's Rear ARB Superior one piece axles OME Suspension Warn front and rear bumpers Warn 9000I winch Corbeau Moab seats and harness BFG AT KO 31 10.50 x 15's on American Eagle rims yada yada yada

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lajones View Post
    There are a couple of groups online that are into NAPCO four wheel drive...old school conversions from a company in Minnesota. They actually bolted on to Chevrolets, GMCs, Fords, and Studebaker trucks of your vintage and newer. I have a 57 Chevy 1/2 ton project that I'm building using that set up. Google NAPCO and you'll find some interesting options. That said, Blazer runnning gear will work as well. Good Luck.

LJ
    Those napco trucks look awsome. Do you know if anyone is still making a kit for the conversions?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by clemsonkrawler View Post
    They didnt have the strongest frames and are getting pretty hard to find, read: $$$.
    I dunno, the C104 frame is fully boxed..

Ill have one left over from my postal project in a couple months, anybody wants it PM me.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rescue6 View Post
    Those napco trucks look awsome. Do you know if anyone is still making a kit for the conversions?
    the napco stuff is pretty much obsolete by today's standards, and has gotten to be fairly collectable. i would use late model stuff. i think that the front transfer case output on the napco stuff rotates the opposite direction as everything else, but not positive on that.

check out this promo viddy of a couple of napco chevys doing pikes peak...the hard way, this would never fly today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4A5pFbuLU

it would be just as easy to swap over suspension and drivetrain from a late model truck over to the 53 frame vs. a complete frame swap. that way you wouldn't have to mess with the old crusty body mounts, etc.

i once did a 50 chevy on a s-10 4x4 frame, built to be low, only a couple of inches of ground clearance, wasn't built to wheel, but be a low 4x4 custom winter beater.
    Last edited by uncle ray; March 12th, 2009 at 11:35 PM.

Member #
    Images
    Yeah I had seen a whole lot of S10 frame swaps for the low rider crowd. I want a 4x4 W/ a mild lift anf like 33" Solid axles. You know so it doesnt look so out of place under that old body.

Member #
    Images
    Start off with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton short or long bed. You are either going to have to leanghten or shorten it, or chop the bed or some such modification. I would have to check on the 53s, but I think the frames are going to be the same width as the 73-87 stuff.

If I were doing it and wanted a longer bed, I would start with a long bed chasis, and then shorten it. One thing to consider is putting a late model short bed stepside on it. I know that looks good on the 67-72 chevy trucks. I don't know how it would look with your 53. Another good loook if you do the late model SS bed is to put a corvette roll pan on it. It is almost a direct bolt on, and looks good.

Member #
    Yes, the NAPCO stuff is getting rare, but if you find the right kit, it bolts on. One of the sites I mentioned has running gear for a 54 for sale.

Member #
    There was a NAPCO kit on Craigslist about 6 months ago

One of my students has a '57 chevy truck on a '70's blazer frame, I've never looked that close to see if the frame has been modified or not.