Thread: Help with Canon Powershot S2IS

Member #

Help with Canon Powershot S2IS

does anyone here (locally) have the same camera or similar that can show me how to use it to it's capabilities?

I've searched the internet and found some tips but i'm still confused on the whole apeture setting, ISO and why my pics come out grainy looking on that camera. I THINK the grainy look comes from the ISO at 400, but it takes pics faster at 400, which is great for a moving baby!

If anyone has some free time on the weekends to help out, i'd appreciate it and will buy lunch! or beer.. or bacon.. lol
    ~ Saw it, Wanted it, Had a Fit, GOT IT! ~

The new Poserific Mall Crawler:
    98 ZJ, 2in spacer lift on 31's... she's bangin!!!

Member #
    Images
    Idon't have the camera, but have a great book you can borrow that will help with aperture, ISO an shutter speed.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0817463003

You can borrow it if you want, it is the best book every!!! Ok, well kind of...

And yes, the grain would be from ISO400, you could use noise ninja or something like that to remove the grain.
    Your ACTIONS are speaking so loud I can hardly hear you
    2005 GMC Yukon SLT - pounds pavement good!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

And yes, the grain would be from ISO400, you could use noise ninja or something like that to remove the grain.
    Yup, especially on a "smaller" sensored camera...clean images, even at ISO's as low as 400 can be hard to obtain unless you get exposure perfect.

Post a few examples(originals with no tweaking done to them so we can check for proper exposure too) with the EXIF info intact and we'll see if we can help you make a little more sense out of it.
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot [/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Hesperia-CA/Caught-My-Eye-Photography/366899572049?ref=ts"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][B]Caught My Eye Photography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
    [QUOTE=Steve]I was WRONG![/QUOTE]

Member #
    thanks! i'll upload some tonight after about 830pm.

T- i'd love to borrow the book, can we meet up this weekend?

Member #
    actually, here are a couple. not sure if the info listed is what you're looking for. thanks for the help!

F-stop: f/2.7
    Exposure Time: 1/25 sec
    Exposure Bias: +0.3 step
    max aperture: 2.875
    EXIF Version 0220

F-stop:f/2.7
    Exposure Time: 1/40 sec
    Exposure Bias: +0.7 step
    Max Aperture: 2.875
    EXIF Version: 0220

Member #
    Looks like your doing everything right...your limited by your cameras ISO noise more than anything.

Id run those images through some sort of noise reducing software...Noise Ninja works pretty good like Tiffany suggested. There not overly noisy and plenty good enough that a little tuning\tweaking would make them great.

About your only other option would be to buy a good DSLR with clean high ISO noise ratings and a fast lens which = $$$.

Member #
    x2 on "Understanding Exposure" - great explanation (with examples) of how ISO, aperture, and shutter speed all interact.

Those pictures appear pretty well lit - you shouldn't be seeing that much noise. What is the resolution and compression set at? You should have both on the best setting. Memory cards are too cheap these days to deal with the lower image quality just to get more shots on a card.

The Panasonic Lumix LX3 has been getting great low light reviews for a compact.

... and being you understood what EXIF means leads me to believe you know more than you're leading on...
    President, CO Chapter TTORA
    Check out www.ttora.com, and www.yotatech.com to 'wheel with great Toyota folks!
    1993 Toyota 4Runner with some armor, lockers, dual cases and stuff ...
    Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Member #
    i actually have no idea what EXIF means, lol! I figured it has to do with the "specs" of the images and right click ed- properties and then details. after looking in ther i saw "EXIF version" and just noted everything hoping that was what was needed, lol!

we're going to houston at the end of the month and my father-in-law has a Canon 20d so maybe he'll let me "play" with it while we're out there, get the hang of "newer" technology... or is it just better technology? lol

thanks for the feedback, i'll keep playing with the settings.

Member #
    and the first pic is:
    h-reso 180 dpi
    v-reso 180 dpi
    reso unit is 2
    nothing for compression but has compressed bits/pixel at 3

second pic is:
    h-reso 180 dpi
    v-reso 180 dpi
    reso unit = 2
    Doesn't say the compression but has compressed bits /pixel = 3

Member #
    i googled and found this for a temporary trial, are any of these decent for just minor corrections?

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...n-software.htm

EDIT:there is a noise filter in photoshop! man i love google!

Member #
    Before:

After:

it takes a little out, but i'll have to play around some more. i never even paid attention to the filters in PS. such a newb!

Member #
    Better but still alot of room for improvement.

Member #
    i had to look at this again while at work. can definitely tell now it's just a very slight change.

Member #
    Images
    We can meet up this weekend. Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon works best for me...will PM you my number.