Member #

Dispose of anti-freeze

Got some used anti-freeze I need to get rid of. Went to Pepboys and they said "call your local landfill". Hmm... not much help there. Called Checker and they said "pour it down your toilet". Now that doesn't sound right. So, what do you do with the stuff?

Member #
    Images
    Believe it or not, pouring it down the toilet is the approved way of doing it. With sufficient dilution, it apparently becomes more or less harmless.

Member #
    Images
    Second for pouring it down your toilet. By pouring it down your toilet/sink, the antifreeze will go to your local wastewater treatment plant, where there are steps in effect to minimize the harmfulness of chemicals such as this before it is released back into the waterways. If you simply pour it into the gutter of your street, the antifreeze receives zero treatment before it is released into the waterways.

Lets see what Skulltoy says. I know that he works at a water treatment plant and I'd be interested to know also.
    Rex Ashton, huh? Good to know.

Member #
    Images
    Call a garage. I think that by law establishments that provide services to change out toxic fluids (oil, antifreeze, etc.) are required to accept them. They may charge for it, though. Another place to look is Eco-Cycle. I know you can recycle it for free if you live in Boulder county. There may be something like this near you, if there is, they would probably know about it. Call your local municipal recycling company, they should be able to tell you. Don't give up on it!
    Mud sucks. No, really.

Member #
    Images
    Some interesting links:

http://www.colorado-recycles.org/ref...nitfreeze.html

Looks like Westminster collects antifreeze:
    http://www.coloradop2.org/waste.htm

Aurora's recommendation:
    http://www.auroragov.org/City%20Hall...ling%20FAQ.cfm

The general rule of thumb from the above link:
    If your home is connected to a sanitary sewer, antifreeze can be poured down the drain or flushed down the toilet. If you are on a septic system, DO NOT pour antifreeze down the drain.
    Here's the place I keep running across for household chemical disposal in the Denver Metro area(it's not just for Arvada, despite the link):
    http://www.ci.arvada.co.us/3.cfm?page_ID=664

Member #
    Cresso, thanks for the links. I'm really surprised that there is not a clear recomendation for what to do with this very common waste product.

Colorado Recycles
    As we did our research for this discussion paper, we became concerned that there were a number of seemingly conflicting recommendations from equally credible experts and sources. While all agree that antifreeze should never be dumped on the ground or down storm drains, there were mixed recommendations about diluting and pouring old antifreeze (in very small quantities) down a sink drain. Some experts recommend against the practice entirely, while others held that small highly diluted quantities can be handled by municipal sewer treatment systems. However, even though antifreeze is biodegradable over time, this dilute and dispose opinion does not extend to household septic sewer systems. Home septic systems are bacteria driven systems that are confined to small areas and small amounts of waste. Antifreeze could harm the bacteria that process the wastes and impair the proper functioning of the septic system.

Because of the uncertainty, it is the strong recommendation of Colorado Recycles that you should check directly with the operators of the municipal sewer system for guidance and approval before considering pouring any amount of antifreeze, no matter how diluted it may be, down the sink drain. Colorado Recycles recommends that you assume that the wastewater treatment facility prohibits the disposal of antifreeze into its system until you have confirmed directly from the operator that such a disposal is permitted.
    City of Aurora Planning Department
    The major component of automotive antifreeze can be broken down easily by organisms in a sewage treatment plant. If your home is connected to a sanitary sewer, antifreeze can be poured down the drain or flushed down the toilet.

Exclamation

If you do dump it through the sink or toilet, just hope those "delivery systems" do not back up any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresso
    "ANTI FREEZE DISPOSAL: A wonderful but hazarduous product..."
    Last edited by Tonka; August 16th, 2004 at 08:18 AM.

Member #
    Images
    Douglas County and other municipalities host "chemical round ups" to properly dispose of household hazardous waste. Check out their webpage...the next one is September 25 at the Town of Castle Rock Maintenance Facility, 675 Justice Way.

http://www.co.douglas.co.us/PublicWo...ls_roundup.htm

Call your local trash collector. I live in the City of Thornton, and once a week they come around and pick up recyclables and they also pick up one gallon containers of oil or antifreeze. This is a free service (at least no extra charges to show on the bill) that they offer. Or use the chemical roundup like bluezjeep said.
    JEEP, THERE WHAT'S FOR DINNER!!!JEEPS ARE FOR GIRLS!!!!

I always leave it out for stray dogs and cats, they LOVE that stuff.
    4Runner buggy: 4.3, r151f, dual 2.28's on tons.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yarddog
    LOL - and it only took 11 replies for this one to show up
    Jeff

antifreeze disposal

Dude, If you have not disposed of it yet, PM me and I should be able to get rid of it for you where I work. We have a collection bin for the stuff that is serviced by Safety Kleen. If the quantity is not too much it won't be a problem.
    What a concept. It's called thinking, you should try it sometime!

MOLON LABE

you are a very sick person j/k
    t-bone, beat to hell 4-runner my other toy has tits. oh yea! and custom duct tape fender flares to keep this pos together.:D

In the Springs, flush it. I have discussed the matter with Colorado Springs Utilities. They suggest running water down the sink at the same time to dilute it.
    UROC Modified Ranger Team #232<br />46 Willys Jeep

I also find that it mixes well with vodka for those spur of the moment social functions.

inactive
    Member #
    I used to work at a dealership, and guys would show up and ask us if they could dump it in the tank. I would always tell them yes, but it did make a difference to me either way. Maybe you could make some new friends.