No Soliciting signs.

I have been putting these signs on my front door now for several houses. Problem is they don't always work.

1. Religeous zealots claim they are not selling anything. Just spreading the word of God. I always tell them they are selling Jesus and I already have mine.

2. Political campaigning. Apparantly they cannot read.

3. Magazine/cleaner sales people. Apparantly they cannot read either. I ended up calling the police on one fellow who thought he could talk some shiat. Police will do nothing but tell the solicitor to leave the neighborhood and get his permits.

4. Children selling stuff for school, scouts, etc. These are the only ones I leave alone. They're chilren for Gos's sake.

Bottom line. When you place a "No Solicting" sign on your door and someone solicits they are trespassing and can be charged as such.

I mean, Jeebus, I've affixed the sign to my door. Whether or not you can legally solicit me, I've placed a sign on my front door that essentially says "leave me the fook alone". Why do they bother?

What do you do? What do you know about "No Soliciting" signs.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.TJ View Post
    What do you know about "No Soliciting" signs.

They should have an angry pittbull tied to them, but not tied too tightly.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county.

Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Great answer.

I used to have a very friendly German Shepard who would come lunging out from the house to see who was at the door. The solictor did not know she was friendly though. A few ran when they saw here coming. Maybe that's because I would call her after opening the door and finding a solicitor.

Member #
    I posted this in the Campaigners stopping by thread, but it fits here too.

I had an Obama supporter stop at my house the other day and asked if they could talk to me about the election. I said, "Sure, but my time is money so it will cost you $50.00." He looked at me in shock and then got a nervous laugh and started into his talking points. I then said, "Up front." He stopped and asked if I was serious and I told him that I was. I then told me that he couldn't do that and I asked why not? He tried to say that paying someone for a vote was against the law. I said that we were just talking and not voting here and that he was wasting my time, pay up or leave. He left with a very dumbfounded look on his face.
    A few days later as I was walking out of the supermarket and had another supporter try to stop me ( a lady this time). She started out going into her talking points and I started coming on to her in a very hard way. She tried to brush off my comments, but I just kept laying it on thick. She finally stated that she was married and that she was not interested. To which I told her that it was too bad and her loss and walked away. Again the dumbfounded look.
    My point here is that these guys take themselves so seriously that it is prime for messing with them.
    Sean
    You can make all the plans you want, just don't plan to fail.
    07 JK Rubicon Unlimited - 5.5 Rock Krawler lift with 37 Pro Comp Extreme Mudders

We have two very large bright red "NO SOLICITING" signs at my store, I don't think they've actually stopped anyone. We had a guy from Kinko's come in wanting us to sign up for some plan they offer and he was pushing it pretty hard. Of course 5 minutes after he leaves we think of asking him if they could make us some bigger No Soliciting signs cuz apparently ours arent big enough.
    www.staythetrail.org

Member #
    install a windshied washer setup and when you see who it is squirt them with water
    Wandering in the wilderness.

I'm starting to think you should just build a moat around your yard, solve both your problems, LOL.

Great answer.

I used to have a very friendly German Shepard who would come lunging out from the house to see who was at the door. The solictor did not know she was friendly though. A few ran when they saw here coming. Maybe that's because I would call her after opening the door and finding a solicitor.
    My two border collies do that. They wouldn't do anything but lick a person to death, but it sure sounds like they are ready to go for blood when someone knocks on our gate.

I watched a churchy looking guy walk up to our gate, and then turn and go to the neighbor's when the dogs started raising a ruckus.
    2001 KTM 200 E/XC * 2001 Marauder * 1995 F150 * 1968 Mustang

Member #
    I constantly have people at my door "selling" something, even though I've posted a "No Solicitors" sign. I do have to admit, I've never had the same person come to my door twice...apparently having my boxer trying to come through the door at them (he really hates the doorbell) has an effect on the memory.

The only exception is the few kids in the neighborhood that are in Scouts, they know its safe (and acceptable) to come to our door. But then, they know our dog and understand his behavior.

Mabey the word "soliciting" is too big of a word for them to comprehend? I mean, they can't find real jobs, mabey they can't read either!
    1980 Toyota....I scratched the paint!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boyle View Post
    Mabey the word "soliciting" is too big of a word for them to comprehend? I mean, they can't find real jobs, mabey they can't read either!
    Maybe they can't speel either.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin
    klaatu barada nikto

Quid Futuis

Member #
    Images
    The one that gets me now is when you run to the grocery store, and get accosted by whatever kids group/animal shelter/save the african babies charity is plugging their crap in front of the store.

What ever happened to Boy Scouts going door to door to sell their popcorn?!

Member #
    Dunno my guess is to dangerous for the kids to do that now days.

I just always ask the girl scouts if the cookies are made with real girl scouts.

Seriously though I have a no soliciting sign and a sign reading "nothing here is worth your life" and people still come marching up to the door. I was really sick and finally got some sleep last week when my doorbell wakes me up and it's some _____ political supporter (Don't wanna give either side fuel, lol). I prominitely burned there panphlet and put it in my ash tray and closed the door.
    "When Murphy wrote his law he was thinking of YOU" - JRVYota
    '91 XJ, BLOWN 335K 4.0L, D44/D60, 4.56', Detroits, 4/6", 33/1250BFGAT's, EXO RIP
    '02 JBody Cavalier 3800 Series II SC@12psi...2600Lb

Member #
    Images
    I'll admit it every once and a while I'll do canvassing for non-profits that I believe in. Don't like the method but it is effective, and I'll actually be doing it tomorrow.

No matter what I consider a hard sale rude... being that I'm not selling anything, but rather dropping informative knowledge and if receptive asking for a donation, I will ring the bells of houses that say NO SOLICITING. I usually start out by saying who I am and who the non-profit is. Then i ask if they have a minute. If they don't, no biggie I leave.

20 seconds out of the day shouldn't kill you in my eyes. If you don't want to answer the door... then don't. No harm done and I walk away.

That 20 seconds on the other hand can keep the doors of some of these non profits I help open though.
    '85 RamCharger-
    4.56's, 37's, Spooled 14 bolt, 8 lug convert, mean 360
    '7X dodge something... got the engine and axles
    need the car...

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colombiapunk View Post
    I'll admit it every once and a while I'll do canvassing for non-profits that I believe in. Don't like the method but it is effective, and I'll actually be doing it tomorrow.

No matter what I consider a hard sale rude... being that I'm not selling anything, but rather dropping informative knowledge and if receptive asking for a donation, I will ring the bells of houses that say NO SOLICITING. I usually start out by saying who I am and who the non-profit is. Then i ask if they have a minute. If they don't, no biggie I leave.

20 seconds out of the day shouldn't kill you in my eyes. If you don't want to answer the door... then don't. No harm done and I walk away.

That 20 seconds on the other hand can keep the doors of some of these non profits I help open though.
    So because your non-profit is important to YOU means that its OK for you to pay no attention to the fact that I have visibly displayed on MY property that I don't want solicitors of any type bothering me?

How very cool of you
    Your ACTIONS are speaking so loud I can hardly hear you
    2005 GMC Yukon SLT - pounds pavement good!

I second the motion on this one, no soliciting means NO, N-O, that's it, no to everyone accept those with a defined purpose as a delivery person. (mail man, ups, pizza hut)

Member #
    Add another sign below that says "this includes religious organizations, magazine sales, and non-profits". Solved 99% of it for me. I ask the other 1% that still ring the bell if they can read or not, or if they need a hooked on phonics lesson...
    The poster formerly known as "Jesse".
    '93 ZJ 4.0 Good
    '93 ZJ 5.2 Better
    '98 ZJ 5.9 Best

Member #
    Images
    City of Westminster, soliciting is illegal without a permit, caught a few off gaurd with that one.

Kids, I will listen and almost always buy from the kids in the neighborhood. 99% of the time they are put up to it by the schools, and is not their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by colombiapunk View Post
    I have a steel plate in my leg and it's a pain in the ass to walk up the stairs to see what I presume to be someone I know at the door. If you don't personally know me, stay the **** away from me...
    The benefits from MILSPEC requirements are priceless!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    Add another sign below that says "this includes religious organizations, magazine sales, and non-profits". Solved 99% of it for me. I ask the other 1% that still ring the bell if they can read or not, or if they need a hooked on phonics lesson...
    Simpler:

"This means you. You are not special. You are not an exception. You are a solicitor."

My new sign says:

"If you haven't been personally invited onto this porch then leave immediately- you are trespassing".

That is clear as day, but some people still knock!

Would it be so bad to silently open the door and just begin squirting them through the screen with a bigass squirt bottle? I could always say "oops, just doing some routine pest control"...
    Dog is my co-pilot

Member #
    This sure makes me happy that I live in a subdivision of 5 acre lots. Nobody rings my doorbell that wasn't invited.

Quote Originally Posted by al24 View Post
    Maybe they can't speel either.

Thats why I fix cars for a living and don't teach english!

We put one up on our front screen door about a year ago and haven't had a problem since. I saw a political guy approaching through the window one day, saw him read the sign, turned and kept walking. God it was great!
    "Someone else says the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and drank whiskey and played poker with the locals until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead." ---'98 XJ, 2" lift, all open, 31's.

Member #
    Images
    Meh i enjoy screwing with people. They way I figuer if you call or knock on my door you had better be good. Cause I know I'm good. 9 times out of 10 they will leave or hang up mad and confused.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." Douglas Adams,
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlueCJ7 View Post
    The one that gets me now is when you run to the grocery store, and get accosted by whatever kids group/animal shelter/save the african babies charity is plugging their crap in front of the store.

What ever happened to Boy Scouts going door to door to sell their popcorn?!
    Better sales in front of the stores. The pack my sons are in sold $15,500 in popcorn this year, $4,000 was from store sales in about about 12 hours (3 days, 4 hours each day).
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Great answer.

Quote Originally Posted by FirecrackerKTM View Post
    My two border collies do that. They wouldn't do anything but lick a person to death, but it sure sounds like they are ready to go for blood when someone knocks on our gate.

I watched a churchy looking guy walk up to our gate, and then turn and go to the neighbor's when the dogs started raising a ruckus.
    I "accidently" let Sadie & Sheba (my two widdle Rotties, about 135 lbs each) stick their heads out the front door. That combined with the barking that occurs when the doorbell rings usually clears the front porch.
    2012 Rubicon Unlimited - Stock for now
    www.CastleRockTactical.com

I don't see what the problem is. Slam the door in their face. You don't owe them any courtesy.

When I lived in Laramie I used to get solicitors all the time (maybe a college town thing?) Anyway, I finally put a "no solicitors" sign on my door. A couple of weekends later I got a knock and saw two nicely dressed young men there. Yes, they were mormons. When I pointed to the "no soliciting" sign they said "we're not soliciting." I said "yes, you are" and slammed the door in their face.

Later that day a new sign went up on my door:

NO SOLICITING

THIS INCLUDES MORMONS

Never got bothered again.
    Martin (AKA Zapp Branigan) KillBot (Retired)
    "I am the Man With No Name - Zapp Branigan!"
    2007 4Runner SR5, 4.0 Wife's vehicle: 95 YJ, 4 cyl, 5 speed STOCK!
    DD: 96 Mazda B2300 4x2, Fun Ride: 02 BMW R1150R

a no tresspassing sign would make more sense.
    They will not make or break you.
    They will make or break themselves.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee_357 View Post
    a no tresspassing sign would make more sense.
    that should keep everyone away.

I've seen signs too that say, don't ring or knock unless I know you.

I disabled my doorbell, and since I haven't used my front door in years (only garage door), there are some fun looking large spiders on my door know/lock. On occasion when I get a knock I just ignore it. I don't see what's so hard about ignoring people. Ideally I wouldn't even have a front door.

OK, so if door-knockers weren't bad enough, yesterday I get a call on my cell phone from an unknown out of state phone number. When I answered, they started quoting bible verses! Go the f--- away! I don't know what that was all about, some weird prank call or maybe a pre-recorded thing. I didn't stay on the line long enough to find out.

Member #
    Images
    I do not have a sign because I enjoy messing with solicitors. I even buy stuff from them once in a while. I bought my alarm system from a door to door guy (after I took his card and called him back). I buy meat from a guy who stops buy when I am outside working. He even helped me pull my engine the other day. I was in the garage with the music cranking, trying to get the engine and tranny to come out of the car when he walks up and scares the hell out of me. I almost shot him. He then helps me get the engine out, and sells me a box of steaks.

Other than him, I get no repeat offenders at my house. I embarass my wife all the time.

I offered some church folks a beer the other day. It was 1000 am on a saturday. I figured it would be rude to drink in front of them and not offer.

Quote Originally Posted by jrvyota View Post
    Meh i enjoy screwing with people. They way I figuer if you call or knock on my door you had better be good. Cause I know I'm good. 9 times out of 10 they will leave or hang up mad and confused.
    My drive is about 200' long. If solicitors become a problem, I am going to put the sign from my desk at the end of the drive. It reads: If you can read this you are in range".

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dave m View Post
    This sure makes me happy that I live in a subdivision of 5 acre lots. Nobody rings my doorbell that wasn't invited.
    We're on acreage that's not even in a subdivision and the Jehovah's Witnesses still have been by on two occasions in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Kine View Post
    I had an Obama supporter stop at my house the other day and asked if they could talk to me about the election. I said, "Sure, but my time is money so it will cost you $50.00." He looked at me in shock and then got a nervous laugh and started into his talking points. I then said, "Up front." He stopped and asked if I was serious and I told him that I was. I then told me that he couldn't do that and I asked why not? He tried to say that paying someone for a vote was against the law. I said that we were just talking and not voting here and that he was wasting my time, pay up or leave. He left with a very dumbfounded look on his face.
    I'm sooo borrowing this idea... that's great.

Great answer.

I have a 75 Lb yellow lab that hits the door at full steam when the doorbell rings... barking and the whole affair. I'll grab her collar and act as if it's impossible to hold her back... they don't need to know that all she wants to do is play!

I put on a full glass screen door so they can see my dog growling and that usually freaks them out but I would love to have a doorbell that sounds like your pumping a shell into a 12 gauge shotgun! They tell salesmen and saleswomen when they are in training that a no soliciting sign is a sign of weakness and that you are an easy target but I still have one! I also have a copy of the Westminster code that shows they are in violation because of my no soliciting sign.
    Last edited by zillacon; October 27th, 2008 at 02:20 PM.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dave m View Post
    Since I moved to Falcon, the only people that have stopped by are the ones I know. And some guy dropped a phone book off on my porch, but never knocked or anything. I watched him from my office, get out of his car walk up to the door right next to my ofice, the window was open, set the book down get in his car and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I have a 75 Lb yellow lab that hits the door at full steam when the doorbell rings... barking and the whole affair. I'll grab her collar and act as if it's impossible to hold her back... they don't need to know that all she wants to do is play!
    I have a 90 pound red lab that has a very mean sounding growl and bark, and he lets me know when anybody is on my property. And usually keeps growling and barking unless I let the person in.
    If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!

Member #
    Images
    2. Political campaigning. Apparantly they cannot read.
    They think they are immune, just like they are from the no-call lists.
    Chester Bullock
    Follow me on: Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
    My blogs: Photography | Random Thoughts