Wreck on Imogene?

Just heard on 9-news there was a pretty bad wreck on Imogene Pass today. Anyone have anymore info? Supposedly from The Springs?

Member #
    Heard it too. Two dead, two injured. It isn't on the 9News website yet, must have just happened.
    Dave
    '01 Subaru Outback

Member #
    Images
    We were up there yesterday. It was on the Ouray side of Imogene Pass. Around 2 miles from the top. We heard they pulled over to let a motorcycle pass and got too close to the edge. Jeep looked like it had been there 10 years. It was awful. We assume it was a Jeep Cherokee. Flight for Life came in twice. They had fallen 1,000 feet or farther.
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Member #
    Images
    It heppened yesterday, not today. We must have been just a little bit ahead of you Iceman; the accident happened right behind us. Not much to say about it...just real sad.

Member #
    Images
    It was a site I wished I'd never seen. Makes you stop and think about what could happen.

Does anybody have a good description of the vehicle? Our club was down there this weekend and the trip leader drives a Grand Cherokee, and they were supposed to do Imogene on Saturday.
    Shane
    1995 YJ, 5.3 Vortec, 4L60e, Atlas 3.8, HP Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear
    2005 Volvo VNL 670 Class 8 Tractor with a 15 Liter Cummins ISX and 10 speed
    www.coloradorockhoppers.org

Anyone have a Link I cant seem to find it anywhere...

Member #

Unhappy

oh yikes...

i can't find any info about it online yet either; hate to see that it was (maybe) a cherokee, as the NAXJA colorado fest was out there this weekend (i'll be joining them on weds).
    2001 '60th Anniversary' XJ
    ~6" RE/T&T Y-link longarm
    34x11 Toyo Open Countrys
    D30HP('93XJ) / D44('87XJ)
    4.56s & ARB front and rear

i have searched all the news stations and even google, nothing to report on it ;-(
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Tony Blair, British Prime Minister

Member #
    Link to Rocky Mtn News story.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...097648,00.html

My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends.

Thanks for the link to the story. It is amazing that anyone lived through that, regardless of seat belts. After seeing that wreckage I have no desire to return to Ouray anytime soon.

peter
    [URL="http://community.webshots.com/user/rockedtj"][COLOR=Red]97[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]TJ[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DimGray]07[/COLOR] [COLOR=Black] JK[/COLOR][/URL]
    [URL="http://code4x4.com"]CODE4x4[/URL]

Member #
    Images
    From the story: "None of the occupants of the Jeep was wearing a seat belt, said Sgt. Lawrence Oletski of the Colorado State Patrol."

WTF is wrong with people??? We ran Black Bear and Imogene on Saturday, when this happened, and were just a little ways in front of it. Imogene was by far the most crowded I've ever seen it, and there were a lot of idiots up there Saturday.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ Broncoman [Steve]
    From the story: "None of the occupants of the Jeep was wearing a seat belt, said Sgt. Lawrence Oletski of the Colorado State Patrol."

WTF is wrong with people??? We ran Black Bear and Imogene on Saturday, when this happened, and were just a little ways in front of it. Imogene was by far the most crowded I've ever seen it, and there were a lot of idiots up there Saturday.
    So do you think that had they had their seat belts on they would have survived a 800-1000ft fall in a Jeep? My guess it that the two boys that did live, survived because they were thrown from the jeep. Don't get me wrong I wear my seat belt and think people should but in some cases it is better to not have them on. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
    Bush said, "Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along..."

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut
    So do you think that had they had their seat belts on they would have survived a 800-1000ft fall in a Jeep? My guess it that the two boys that did live, survived because they were thrown from the jeep. Don't get me wrong I wear my seat belt and think people should but in some cases it is better to not have them on. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
    Tyra, not trying to start an argument or minimize the tragedy of this accident, but I was an EMT and have responded to too many accidents where the occupants weren't wearing seat belts, and I've seen way too much carnage because of that. I don't know if belts would have saved lives in this crash or not; nobody will. However, I don't buy the argument that sometimes it's safer to not wear them.

I've seen too many people wheeling, especially on the trails around Ouray, without wearing any restraints. Hell, I saw a Jeep Wrangler on Imogene on Saturday (the same day this accident happened) where the adults were in the front seats, without belts, and the kids were STANDING UP ON THE BACK SEAT HOLDING ON TO THE ROLL BAR!!!

I feel for the families involved, and will say a prayer for them. Unfortunately, there are way too many people who now own 4WD vehicles and think that a trail like Imogene is an easy Sunday drive with no danger involved. The trails around Ouray have more than their share of these kinds of people.

Member #
    Damn man...those trails are easy, but SCARY!

As a driver you have to be on your game at every moment along those single track shelf roads.

Condolences to family and friends.
    "Oh, no.... my beeeeeeer."

"I am much better as a spaz"

Member #
    92 Cherokee Laredo<br />4.5" Lift, 31x10.50 BFG AT's<br />Rock Rails, Skids, Disconnects<br />4:10 gears, Trac-Lock Rear <br />True Trac Front

Quote Originally Posted by GJ Broncoman [Steve]
    Tyra, not trying to start an argument or minimize the tragedy of this accident, but I was an EMT and have responded to too many accidents where the occupants weren't wearing seat belts, and I've seen way too much carnage because of that. I don't know if belts would have saved lives in this crash or not; nobody will. However, I don't buy the argument that sometimes it's safer to not wear them.

I've seen too many people wheeling, especially on the trails around Ouray, without wearing any restraints. Hell, I saw a Jeep Wrangler on Imogene on Saturday (the same day this accident happened) where the adults were in the front seats, without belts, and the kids were STANDING UP ON THE BACK SEAT HOLDING ON TO THE ROLL BAR!!!

I feel for the families involved, and will say a prayer for them. Unfortunately, there are way too many people who now own 4WD vehicles and think that a trail like Imogene is an easy Sunday drive with no danger involved. The trails around Ouray have more than their share of these kinds of people.
    On the highway, no question, seatbelts save lives. However, I was always told that it is better to go without seatbelts when off road, at least in an open top Jeep. That way if it does start to roll, you can bail early rather than tumble down the mountain with it. I know my Uncle & his passengers did exactly that when he rolled his Jeep down a mountain in 1963. All escaped unscathed, but the Jeep was totaled. Pretty sure no one would have survived had they been strapped to it.

Not sure about a closed top Jeep. It would be difficult to bail, seatbelt or not and without a good roll cage, I'm not sure you don't want to be thrown.
    Last edited by Grandpa Jeep; August 9th, 2004 at 10:02 AM.
    '50 CJ-3A, Mustang SVO 2.3L Turbo, T-98, D-18, Warn OD, PTO Winch, D30, FFD44, lockrights in both.

If I was going over 100's and 100's of feet down, I'd probably have my seat belt off quicker than you could say "Rollover" and be bailed out. lol I got a cage, but 100's and 100's of feet? No thanks on that ride and trusting any sort of engineered protection.
    03 Rubicon Stretched On 40" Xterrain's

Member #
    There is no point in second guessing seatblets or not when you drop off a 1,000 ft ledge. Either way you are fawked.

I am pretty spry, but I doubt I could get my ass out of my rig fast enough to survive. And even if I did, I would just go catapaulting down the slope with nothing to protect me.

I guess If I had to go, I would rather be strapped in.

There, I added to this moot arguement.

I would rather be straped inside my roll cage then floundering around outside of it.

weird, i just got a message from guy in Jersey who just bought the crash victims' XJ last week. he picked up the XJ on thursday, and headed to NJ at the same time this family headed to Imogene for the weekend.

my heart goes out to the family-
    2006 WK 5.7 Hemi

Condolences to family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut
    So do you think that had they had their seat belts on they would have survived a 800-1000ft fall in a Jeep? My guess it that the two boys that did live, survived because they were thrown from the jeep.
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainJeep
    There is no point in second guessing seatblets or not when you drop off a 1,000 ft ledge. Either way you are fawked.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePagan
    I would rather be straped inside my roll cage then floundering around outside of it.
    I believe that one has a better chance at surviving if they wear seatbelts. Perhaps the boys would have come out better had they worn seatbelts (being thrown could have caused their injuries).

Not having any other particulars to this accident, it is difficult to speculate one way or another.
    Last edited by Tonka; August 9th, 2004 at 12:12 PM.

According to the article in the Denver Post, the driver was an experienced wheeler..
    Since he had just sold his vehicle, maybe this was a new one? Still getting used to it maybe..?
    '91 YJ

Quote Originally Posted by jaidmaster
    According to the article in the Denver Post, the driver was an experienced wheeler..
    Since he had just sold his vehicle, maybe this was a new one? Still getting used to it maybe..?
    here's a little bit of the PM i got from the guy who bought the XJ last week:

This guy was so experienced wheeling its not even funny. He did that every weeeknd, sold the Xj only because his grand could hold the kids and dogs better. Both were equally lifted, about 5" on 33s. I have a picture of his grand. Actually I have way too much stuff around here that has to do with him, a voicemail on my machine, the signed title in front of me, its just too much to handle. We spent half a day together on Thursday, met his wife and kids, while they packed, we went over the XJ and then his Grand, which was impressive. They left when I left. It is all so surreal I keep replaying it in my head.
    sounds like this guy knew what he was doing, but just had some unfortunate circumstances

Life is like a good 4x4 trail filled with obstacles and you always feel good after you conquer each one.

1999 XJ

It's very funny/sad how things can happen... You never know when it will come and how... It is very sad that anyone has to die but they were doing what they loved and that is they way I would like to go... Not any time soon.......We all have to go....

Live life for today because you never know “IF” tomorrow will come.