Old truck bed made into workbench or garage couch??

So I picked up a replacement bed for a truck I am working on and have had a couple of strange ideas for the old bed.(73-91 chevy style)

Option 1:
    Bob the back off of it, reweld it to the front half (eliminating the wheel wells) and make a "Garage couch" out of it. Mount it on casters so that it can be wheeled around and people can sit on it.

Option 2:
    Cut it down so that I can mount the back half to the garage wall with a working tailgate and make it into a fold down workbench that could be used for welding small stuff etc.
    Hmm.......Evil thoughts.

i like option #2, just like the last 6" of bed and the tailgate, right? would make for a neat temporary workbench, definitely stable and you coud put the ground for your welder anywhere on it and just have whatever you are working on laying on it, unless you painted it real nice or something
    '91 YJ with some stuff
    proud ><> vet 12rd Loon
    PM me for information on quality handmade CCW holsters

If I did the workbench Idea I might use about 10" of it and remount the fornt of the bed to it so that you would have a complet metal surround and enough room to leave the welder and some tools inside of it when the tailgate is up.

Member #
    Garage couches are cool!

Paint it white

Member #
    Images
    I like the "Murphy workbench" idea. I know what would happen to a garage couch in my garage (if I had the space): It would get filthy, mice-ridden, and it would eventually catch fire and burn the whole shootin match down.

Plus, if you have guys in your garage, you want them working, not sitting down.
    Making progress on the big build.

Well, the more thought I have put into it I could simply mount it in a way that it could serve both duties.

I have been thinking about this. I could have my Mom (a VERY talented artist) come out and paint the rest of the truck on the wall in front of the bench. (so that it would look like there was actually a truck there. hehe.

Member #
    Images
    Is the garage *entirely* your space, or is the Se?orita at all a stakeholder/decisionmaker regarding decor?

i like your idea of putting the welder and your helmet and gloves and stuff in the bed, that way when you want to weld, everything is there...... if i had room i'd make one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trango View Post
    Is the garage *entirely* your space, or is the Se?orita at all a stakeholder/decisionmaker regarding decor?
    Entirely mine!!!!!!!! The ONLY stipulation is that she has a place to park at night.(which I think is really more my rule than hers since I hate leaving cars outside)
    Last edited by Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford; December 10th, 2007 at 01:56 PM.

Cole:

Do you lead a double life? In one life, you are a high performance driving, S4 luxury sedan driver. In the other life, you and your mom are making couch stands out of an old pickup bed.
    '99 XJ Classic -- Almost Stock

I just have a really short attention span and never sleep!!

Member #
    Images
    How about a truck bed Futon for those days you have to sleep in the Garage.
    My Jeep is not an SUV and your SUV is not a Jeep
    Support the Grand Slam West Sponsors
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=11024

Ever been to Colorado Auto & Parts? They have the last 8" or so of a Ford pickup bed & tailgate mounted to the wall. The tailgate has some padding on it and it makes a nice little bench to sit on.
    El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of Scouts?
    Jefe: Yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.

Where is Colorado Auto Parts?

Member #
    Images
    My old man makes lots of shop couches and desks out of old car rear ends and front caps. it is pretty tough, but nice when you finish up. Of course they are putting them into show quality paint, chrome, finish. he gets a fortune for them. Him and his buddy have been cutting up thier collection of cars that are just too far gone to restore. Last one was a 50s buick, they did a couch out of the trunk, and a desk out of the front cap. Got $6500 for the pair of them, and the thing was a 4 door that had been hit HARD in the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    My old man makes lots of shop couches and desks out of old car rear ends and front caps. it is pretty tough, but nice when you finish up. Of course they are putting them into show quality paint, chrome, finish. he gets a fortune for them. Him and his buddy have been cutting up thier collection of cars that are just too far gone to restore. Last one was a 50s buick, they did a couch out of the trunk, and a desk out of the front cap. Got $6500 for the pair of them, and the thing was a 4 door that had been hit HARD in the side.

They had things like that at the old Foss Drug in Golden. From what I could tell, the "bodies" were fiberglass, but everything else was steel (bumpers, lens surrounds, etc) and they were getting $3k for them if I remember right. If you had a battery operated sawzall, you could go out to Pull N Save all day long and cut off car trunks, LOL

-Gary

I've actually seen a couple of 73-87 chevy beds cut down and made into bar type tables. I saw one in the San Diego airport sports bar and another at some other airport (same chain of sports bar) but I can't remember where.

Basically they bobbed the last 12" off, added the front bed wall back to it and then mounted it on the wall so the tailgate would be at bar table height. It had 4 bar stools in front of it and they added a layer of plexiglass to give the tailgate a flat surface. They had the tail lights wired up and it looked pretty cool.

The idea for a work surface or a couch is pretty cool too!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOUTMAN67 View Post
    They had things like that at the old Foss Drug in Golden. From what I could tell, the "bodies" were fiberglass, but everything else was steel (bumpers, lens surrounds, etc) and they were getting $3k for them if I remember right. If you had a battery operated sawzall, you could go out to Pull N Save all day long and cut off car trunks, LOL

-Gary
    Yeah, I have seen the glass one's. His are all steel, and made of the origional cars. They are working on a dining room table made out of a bathtub nash that was hit hard in the pax side. Should be cool when they are finished.