Build your own TJ Corner Armor

So after this fiasco I am getting around to fixing the corners all proper-like.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...ight=sick+dump

The right side was banged up and left side had been pushed forward by a few inches.

Right away I bought some sweet clear LED tail lights to be legal. I went to the Light House in Commerce City. They were very helpful and the prices were fantastic!!

I hammered out some dents and hammered in others. The left side was tricky since I had to pull out the whole body by about 1.5 inches. I ended up buying a giant C-clamp from HF, and removing the screw. To hold the C-clamp exactly in place I put a small screw into the inside on the body just above the body mount.

http://a732.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...1e2e157ec3.jpg
    I hooked up a tow trap to the other end of the clamp, hooked it to a tree and went to town.

I spent a few hours at my favorite scrap yard (K&K Surplus) and found a 6" section of pipe that, when quartered, was the same diameter as the curve in the quarter panels. I had them cut plate into 4 (dimensions to come later) sections.
    http://a922.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...83c689f6d9.jpg

Last edited by Haire Ball; November 11th, 2007 at 01:01 PM.
    TJ. "Homegrown" 4-link front and rear, D44's, 4.56 gears, locked, 35's, 9500i winch, front cage with stinger (& gunsight!). / ATC: AAL2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees. Pilot: We are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here? ATC: Have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?

Yes Yes....And then..........
    New website - www.lgm3d.com

For the first side I assembled the three pieces on the workbench and found I had a little issue getting a good fit. On the other (left) side I clamped the three pieces to the body and tacked them together on the Jeep. I marked the holes for the tail lights and gas cap from the inside.
    I tried cutting out the holes with a jigsaw but after 1 inch and 45 minutes I needed something faster. I just went with the angle grinder and cut-out disk. Much faster.

I got a pack of 50 stainless bolts from Fastenal for $17. They were $1 for 2 at Home Depot!

awesome work
    87 Suzuki Samurai

Member #
    Images
    The pic of the Jeep tied to the tree is priceless.

Looks great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The pic of the Jeep tied to the tree is priceless.

Looks great!!!
    I should have taken a video of that. When the strap was taunt I was about 18 inches away from the curb. So I was "rocking-back-and-forth" between rolling back up the curb, hitting the gas, and getting jerked by the strap. It was funny and not a single person was around to see it.

The last of the build to come today!
    Last edited by Haire Ball; November 14th, 2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: durrr spellin'

Holy holes Batman; countersinking 42, 1/2 inch holes takes forever!

Member #
    looks good man now lets see it on the trail... friday?
    Please consider contributing towards my Summit for Someone effort, benefiting at-risk urban youth.
    http://www.summitforsomeone.org/donate?page=4&climber=8574
    AND... don't forget to Stay The Trail.

Keep it coming...

I have been considering doing something like this but the corner was always the puzzling part. Excellent idea on cutting the round tube, I would have never thought of that. Keep the updates coming I really want to see the outcome.

Are you countersinking the bolts with a hand held drill or using a drill press to be precise?
    Last edited by colowolf; November 13th, 2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: sp

Alright, finished countersinking all the damn holes to just the right depth. Fresh primer and paint.

Thanks to a quick poll (below), I changed the color from hammered silver to hammered black.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=110021
    Last edited by Haire Ball; November 13th, 2007 at 09:27 PM.

Another coat of paint got rid of the drippy look.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by colowolf View Post
    Are you countersinking the bolts with a hand held drill or using a drill press to be precise?
    Uh... both. My options for a countersink bit were $35 for a good one or $0.79 for the only other option. Of course the cheap one sucked. So, I drilled the pilot hole, followed with a hole the size of the bolt, then drilled 70% of the way through with a 1/4" bit, then 40% through with a 1/2" bit. Essentially doing a sloppy countersink. With the cheap countersink in the drill press, I cleaned out the hole. Thats why it took so long.

I have been considering doing something like this but the corner was always the puzzling part. Excellent idea on cutting the round tube, I would have never thought of that.
    I did tons of research and couldn't find anyone who had done this before. Honestly the idea came to me while I was digging around my favorite scrap/salvage yard. That's where I get my best ideas.

Member #
    Images
    Those look GREAT! What did they end up costing?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Those look GREAT! What did they end up costing?
    The pipe was surplus so that only cost a few dollars, four pieces of plate cost less than $20, stainless hardware was $17, and primer and paint was $8.

Corner armor cost less than $45!!

Include the cost of LED lights, rubber housings, and wiring (pigtails) I paid about $75. The time was the costly part, but I love doin' this stuff.

EXCELLENT work!
    Matthew
    '12 Toyota Tundra

Member #
    Images
    Nice work!!!
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Excellent work! I am very impressed with the outcome. Did you use 3/16th plate?

-Rob

Last edited by Haire Ball; November 16th, 2007 at 06:43 AM.

Very cool!

How did you deal with side markers, license plate lights and back-up lights?
    And the tailgate?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
    Very cool!

How did you deal with side markers, license plate lights and back-up lights?
    And the tailgate?
    Thanks!
    For the side markers I'm thinking about adding a small LED light inside the wheel well that will illuminate it and the tires.
    I will mount the license plate and it's light to the tire carrier whenever I get around to it.
    I might not do a real back-up light. I'll just have a rear flood light that I could turn on manually.

AND FOR THE TAIL GATE....

I'M STARTING ON AN ALUMINUM FOLD-DOWN TAILGATE THIS WEEK!

Excellent work! Judging by what you started with, I didn't expect them to turn out that well.
    www.AddictedOffroad.com
    Mud Sucks!

Excellent work! I am very impressed with the outcome. Did you use 3/16th plate?

-Rob
    Oops sorry Rob. Yes it's 3/16", and they're heavy!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Haire Ball View Post
    So after this fiasco I am getting around to fixing the corners all proper-like.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...ight=sick+dump

The right side was banged up and left side had been pushed forward by a few inches.

Right away I bought some sweet clear LED tail lights to be legal. I went to the Light House in Commerce City. They were very helpful and the prices were fantastic!!

I hammered out some dents and hammered in others. The left side was tricky since I had to pull out the whole body by about 1.5 inches. I ended up buying a giant C-clamp from HF, and removing the screw. To hold the C-clamp exactly in place I put a small screw into the inside on the body just above the body mount.

http://a732.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...1e2e157ec3.jpg
    I hooked up a tow trap to the other end of the clamp, hooked it to a tree and went to town.

I spent a few hours at my favorite scrap yard (K&K Surplus) and found a 6" section of pipe that, when quartered, was the same diameter as the curve in the quarter panels. I had them cut plate into 4 (dimensions to come later) sections.
    http://a922.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...83c689f6d9.jpg

Yes, please post the size of that pipe, I like the look of that.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][B]A study in the Washington Post says that women have better verbal skills than men. I just want to say to the authors of that study: "Duh." [/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Haire Ball View Post
    I spent a few hours at my favorite scrap yard (K&K Surplus) and found a 6" section of pipe that, when quartered, was the same diameter as the curve in the quarter panels.
    for ink

Quote Originally Posted by Ink View Post
    Yes, please post the size of that pipe, I like the look of that.
    post says 6" diameter

same curve as a YJ?
    '91 YJ with some stuff
    proud ><> vet 12rd Loon
    PM me for information on quality handmade CCW holsters