Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1

    Build your own TJ Corner Armor

    So after this fiasco I am getting around to fixing the corners all proper-like.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...ight=sick+dump






    The right side was banged up and left side had been pushed forward by a few inches.

    Right away I bought some sweet clear LED tail lights to be legal. I went to the Light House in Commerce City. They were very helpful and the prices were fantastic!!

    I hammered out some dents and hammered in others. The left side was tricky since I had to pull out the whole body by about 1.5 inches. I ended up buying a giant C-clamp from HF, and removing the screw. To hold the C-clamp exactly in place I put a small screw into the inside on the body just above the body mount.




    http://a732.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...1e2e157ec3.jpg
    I hooked up a tow trap to the other end of the clamp, hooked it to a tree and went to town.

    I spent a few hours at my favorite scrap yard (K&K Surplus) and found a 6" section of pipe that, when quartered, was the same diameter as the curve in the quarter panels. I had them cut plate into 4 (dimensions to come later) sections.
    http://a922.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...83c689f6d9.jpg

    ....
    Last edited by Haire Ball; November 11th, 2007 at 01:01 PM.
    TJ. "Homegrown" 4-link front and rear, D44's, 4.56 gears, locked, 35's, 9500i winch, front cage with stinger (& gunsight!). / ATC: AAL2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees. Pilot: We are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here? ATC: Have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?

  2. #2
    Yes Yes....And then..........
    New website - www.lgm3d.com

  3. #3
    For the first side I assembled the three pieces on the workbench and found I had a little issue getting a good fit. On the other (left) side I clamped the three pieces to the body and tacked them together on the Jeep. I marked the holes for the tail lights and gas cap from the inside.
    I tried cutting out the holes with a jigsaw but after 1 inch and 45 minutes I needed something faster. I just went with the angle grinder and cut-out disk. Much faster.

    I got a pack of 50 stainless bolts from Fastenal for $17. They were $1 for 2 at Home Depot!

  4. #4

  5. #5
    awesome work
    87 Suzuki Samurai

  6. #6
    Captain Radon Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    On an airplane
    Member #
    1311
    Images
    697
    The pic of the Jeep tied to the tree is priceless.

    Looks great!!!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The pic of the Jeep tied to the tree is priceless.

    Looks great!!!
    I should have taken a video of that. When the strap was taunt I was about 18 inches away from the curb. So I was "rocking-back-and-forth" between rolling back up the curb, hitting the gas, and getting jerked by the strap. It was funny and not a single person was around to see it.

    The last of the build to come today!
    Last edited by Haire Ball; November 14th, 2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: durrr spellin'

  8. #8
    Holy holes Batman; countersinking 42, 1/2 inch holes takes forever!

  9. #9
    Lilly Bear ColoradoXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Who knows... Orientation: Snow Lover
    Member #
    10233
    looks good man now lets see it on the trail... friday?
    Please consider contributing towards my Summit for Someone effort, benefiting at-risk urban youth.
    http://www.summitforsomeone.org/donate?page=4&climber=8574
    AND... don't forget to Stay The Trail.

  10. #10

    Keep it coming...

    I have been considering doing something like this but the corner was always the puzzling part. Excellent idea on cutting the round tube, I would have never thought of that. Keep the updates coming I really want to see the outcome.

    Are you countersinking the bolts with a hand held drill or using a drill press to be precise?
    Last edited by colowolf; November 13th, 2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: sp

  11. #11
    Alright, finished countersinking all the damn holes to just the right depth. Fresh primer and paint.










    Thanks to a quick poll (below), I changed the color from hammered silver to hammered black.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=110021
    Last edited by Haire Ball; November 13th, 2007 at 09:27 PM.

  12. #12
    Another coat of paint got rid of the drippy look.

  13. #13

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by colowolf View Post
    Are you countersinking the bolts with a hand held drill or using a drill press to be precise?
    Uh... both. My options for a countersink bit were $35 for a good one or $0.79 for the only other option. Of course the cheap one sucked. So, I drilled the pilot hole, followed with a hole the size of the bolt, then drilled 70% of the way through with a 1/4" bit, then 40% through with a 1/2" bit. Essentially doing a sloppy countersink. With the cheap countersink in the drill press, I cleaned out the hole. Thats why it took so long.


    Quote Originally Posted by colowolf View Post
    I have been considering doing something like this but the corner was always the puzzling part. Excellent idea on cutting the round tube, I would have never thought of that.
    I did tons of research and couldn't find anyone who had done this before. Honestly the idea came to me while I was digging around my favorite scrap/salvage yard. That's where I get my best ideas.

  14. #14
    Captain Radon Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    On an airplane
    Member #
    1311
    Images
    697
    Those look GREAT! What did they end up costing?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Those look GREAT! What did they end up costing?
    The pipe was surplus so that only cost a few dollars, four pieces of plate cost less than $20, stainless hardware was $17, and primer and paint was $8.

    Corner armor cost less than $45!!

    Include the cost of LED lights, rubber housings, and wiring (pigtails) I paid about $75. The time was the costly part, but I love doin' this stuff.

  16. #16
    EXCELLENT work!
    Matthew
    '12 Toyota Tundra

  17. #17
    newracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Timnath, CO
    Member #
    10010
    Images
    29
    Nice work!!!
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

  18. #18
    Excellent work! I am very impressed with the outcome. Did you use 3/16th plate?

    -Rob

  19. #19

  20. #20


    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .







    Last edited by Haire Ball; November 16th, 2007 at 06:43 AM.

  21. #21
    Very cool!

    How did you deal with side markers, license plate lights and back-up lights?
    And the tailgate?

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
    Very cool!

    How did you deal with side markers, license plate lights and back-up lights?
    And the tailgate?
    Thanks!
    For the side markers I'm thinking about adding a small LED light inside the wheel well that will illuminate it and the tires.
    I will mount the license plate and it's light to the tire carrier whenever I get around to it.
    I might not do a real back-up light. I'll just have a rear flood light that I could turn on manually.


    AND FOR THE TAIL GATE....






























    I'M STARTING ON AN ALUMINUM FOLD-DOWN TAILGATE THIS WEEK!

  23. #23
    Excellent work! Judging by what you started with, I didn't expect them to turn out that well.
    www.AddictedOffroad.com
    Mud Sucks!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by colowolf View Post
    Excellent work! I am very impressed with the outcome. Did you use 3/16th plate?

    -Rob
    Oops sorry Rob. Yes it's 3/16", and they're heavy!

  25. #25
    Ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Member #
    4795
    Quote Originally Posted by Haire Ball View Post
    So after this fiasco I am getting around to fixing the corners all proper-like.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...ight=sick+dump






    The right side was banged up and left side had been pushed forward by a few inches.

    Right away I bought some sweet clear LED tail lights to be legal. I went to the Light House in Commerce City. They were very helpful and the prices were fantastic!!

    I hammered out some dents and hammered in others. The left side was tricky since I had to pull out the whole body by about 1.5 inches. I ended up buying a giant C-clamp from HF, and removing the screw. To hold the C-clamp exactly in place I put a small screw into the inside on the body just above the body mount.




    http://a732.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...1e2e157ec3.jpg
    I hooked up a tow trap to the other end of the clamp, hooked it to a tree and went to town.

    I spent a few hours at my favorite scrap yard (K&K Surplus) and found a 6" section of pipe that, when quartered, was the same diameter as the curve in the quarter panels. I had them cut plate into 4 (dimensions to come later) sections.
    http://a922.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...83c689f6d9.jpg

    ....


    Yes, please post the size of that pipe, I like the look of that.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][B]A study in the Washington Post says that women have better verbal skills than men. I just want to say to the authors of that study: "Duh." [/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Haire Ball View Post
    I spent a few hours at my favorite scrap yard (K&K Surplus) and found a 6" section of pipe that, when quartered, was the same diameter as the curve in the quarter panels.
    for ink

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ink View Post
    Yes, please post the size of that pipe, I like the look of that.
    post says 6" diameter


    same curve as a YJ?
    '91 YJ with some stuff
    proud ><> vet 12rd Loon
    PM me for information on quality handmade CCW holsters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •