Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique This!

Member #
    Images

Critique This!

Figured I would start a thread for photo critiques. You can post a single pic or a gallery of photos...what ever you like.

But please remember, this is the spot to leave the emotions at the door. If you ask for a critque, expect to get the good with the bad. I do expect folks to remain civil...we are all friends here. Constructive criticism is welcome.
    Your ACTIONS are speaking so loud I can hardly hear you
    2005 GMC Yukon SLT - pounds pavement good!

Member #
    OK, I'll be first up for the chopping block. I used some fill flash and some reflectors on my second model shoot as some shutterbugs suggested earlier. This technique was very affective, and I was able to convince the modeling agency director to allow me to choose some spots for posing the subject. I got a few even lighting shots in some shady areas, but she kept putting the guy in the direct sunlight until his eyes started to water. (I also worked out a payment deal on top of the 10 percent I get from her model's contracts.)

Please let me know what you think of the light quality, as well as background distractions that might detract from the main subject. I tried to do some metering for the first time as well. Besides, I think if I would have screwed this guy's pics up, he probably would have kicked my asshat down the side of a few Red Rocks!

Have at it!

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gal...2696#220173334
    "Cute girl; cool Jeep. Killer combination!"
    Told ya it was inevitable....my last name is Wheeler!
    www.pictureyourworld.net

Member #
    My fav is photo 8. Really cool/intimidating shot.

One thing that I learned at Lifetouch is NEVER have them looking into the sun. I'm sure that she had something to do with putting him facing the sun, but the squinting is never good. Even if you have to get a big ole lens hood avoid them looking into the sun.

Cool shots none the less!
    Currently: POS 93 YJ...but it's getting there!

In The Works: D44(60?)/D60; ARB'd; 4.7L; Spring Over and everything that goes along with it...including paint.

Member #
    Thanks Rhino! I love phot 8 too, plus it was my idea. All the places where Allan is in the shade and not squinting was me desperately suggesting to the agency director to move him the FRACK OUTTA THE SUN! I tried to have him be placed under the shadow of a rock or in a rock crevace, under a tree....anywhere besides in the direct sunlight. It was easier on him and frankly, easier on me too. You can tell he's much more at ease in the shots where he's not looking directly into the sunlight.

She kept trying to tell me, "I'm satisfied with the pictures," and I kept telling her "I need to take a few more shots."

Member #
    #7 & #4 are my favorites. This guy looks so intimidating he doesn't need to be surrounded by rocks. In shot 7 it looks casual, like a candid shot in which he just happens to be upon the rocks, vs. the other shots, where it appears as though the rocks are just a prop for the photo.

I don't know much yet, but these definitely look better than the shots dance group you linked to. I see much less shadowing and better focus on the subject with less background distraction.

Hope this spewing of little knowledge helps...

SIDE NOTE: Not photograpy related, but shot #'s 2 and 9 make me question weather or not he's gay. Seriously, no problem with gay men and women (especially not women ), but it might be of concern to him or the agency?
    You can learn more about me at www.southwestoverland.com

Member #
    well...it is a Male Revue.....so it's possible he could be...

but back to the critique....

Someone else has said to be careful of backgrounds in your images. I didn't realize it while I was shooting, but he seems to have some plants growing out of his body in some areas....such as out of his head, etc. etc.

It's just another lesson to be aware of EVERYTHING you see in your viewfinder. Yes, I could clone it out in PS...but it would be better if I had recompositioned the photo to begin with as I was taking it. It's hard to keep all this stuff straight because I was so caught up with lighting that I forgot about composition!

Member #
    Here's a set that might tell a story about my Friday morning. I'm very interested in hearing thoughts of others. I'm very interested in hearing thoughts of how to improve some of them for future events similar in nature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlrutle...7603299255501/

Thanks all.

-Matt

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrutledge View Post
    Here's a set that might tell a story about my Friday morning. I'm very interested in hearing thoughts of others. I'm very interested in hearing thoughts of how to improve some of them for future events similar in nature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlrutle...7603299255501/

Thanks all.

-Matt
    A few good bird shots in there. Overall, id say, more zoom, less background(sky)...and get closer to the ground.

These two being my favorite of the bunch...

Last edited by Jeffro600; November 25th, 2007 at 11:45 PM.
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot [/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Hesperia-CA/Caught-My-Eye-Photography/366899572049?ref=ts"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][B]Caught My Eye Photography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
    [QUOTE=Steve]I was WRONG![/QUOTE]

Member #
    More zoom is going to cost me more money. Not saying it isn't going to happen, but it's not going to happen this winter. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to drop about $10k on a zoom lens to take the pictures I really want to capture. I can't believe how quickly I've managed to max out the $90 200mm I picked up.

Closer to the ground is an interesting suggestion. Most of the pictures were taken while I was on my back in my layout blind. We had considered breaking out the shovel to sink me down a bit more.

I can't believe how hard it is to get a good picture of tens of thousands of geese.

The two pictures you pulled out are two of my favorites as well.

Thanks for the pointers!
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro600 View Post
    A few good bird shots in there. Overall, id say, more zoom, less background(sky)...and get closer to the ground.

These two being my favorite of the bunch...

Member #
    Thats one of the things about photography...you can take a thousand pictures and get maybe a small handfull of usable ones.

If you look on my page, most of those are the results of taking THOUSANDS of pictures. A slight change in angle, position, lighting, time of day, subject matter, zoom, and about a million other factors can make or break a shot.

This is the exact reason why i usually carry at least 10GB worth of memory if im planning on shooting...especially for action intensive subjects. I can get about 350 shots on a 4GB SD card when shooting in RAW.

Carry lots of memory and stay heavy on the shutter!

Member #
    I'm such a novice so I shouldn't be saying anything but.....

I can't seem to post it, but one of my favs is 5852. It looks SO cold, and the angle is just such that I felt like I was there. It almost had a very bleak and lonely feel to it (I hope you don't mind me saying that). It's like the horizon could go on for miles, or maybe not at all. I hope I don't sound corny, but I actually feel bad for that guy out there by himself in the cold with his decoys. I dunno, just a very cold, lonely pic.

If you were wanting someone to feel that cold and the snow, and the quiet...you've acheived it.

(Though I'm not sure this is a critique, fwiw, it's the impression I get!)
    Last edited by RebelRescuer; November 26th, 2007 at 07:25 AM.
    ~Melissa~

[B]Audaces Fortuna Iuvat - Vergil[/B]

Member #
    More zoom is going to cost me more money. Not saying it isn't going to happen, but it's not going to happen this winter. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to drop about $10k on a zoom lens to take the pictures I really want to capture. I can't believe how quickly I've managed to max out the $90 200mm I picked up.

Closer to the ground is an interesting suggestion. Most of the pictures were taken while I was on my back in my layout blind. We had considered breaking out the shovel to sink me down a bit more.

I can't believe how hard it is to get a good picture of tens of thousands of geese.

The two pictures you pulled out are two of my favorites as well.

Thanks for the pointers!
    -Matt
    did I read that right....10 k for a lens? What lense is that....

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thenimirra View Post
    did I read that right....10 k for a lens? What lense is that....
    I present you with the Sigma Monster:
    https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/le...08&navigator=3

Throw in the required bits to make it work on a pentax, and some sales tax, and the rounding works out close enough to $10k.

-Matt

Member #
    Images
    Add another $15k for a flatbed to haul that thing on...
    Chester Bullock
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/coskier
    My drone photography - http://instagram.com/gypsy_drone

Member #

Throw in the required bits to make it work on a pentax, and some sales tax, and the rounding works out close enough to $10k.

-Matt
    That lens is TOTALLY rediculous!!

Sigma also makes a good 50-500 F4.5-6.3 thats under a grand and takes great pictures!

Member #

-Matt
    Good Lord! I'm with Chester...how the heck do you haul that thing around? I could do a lot of damage with an extra $10K to spend on camera equipment...we are talking another body at least...

dayum!

Member #
    Heres on for you all.Took it tonight let me know what you think
    http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...rent=CO4x4.jpg
    just my .02 cents,but with the rate of inflation by the time it posts it's reduced to .01 cent.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rockkrusher View Post
    Heres on for you all.Took it tonight let me know what you think
    http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...rent=CO4x4.jpg
    Not a bad shot...could use a little sharpening and a tighter crop(or more zoom) though.

Member #
    Images
    Matt - what were you using to take those again?

The 70-300 Zuiko looks like it does a pretty good job...

http://funkyfreshfotos.com/70-300/

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    Matt - what were you using to take those again?

The 70-300 Zuiko looks like it does a pretty good job...

http://funkyfreshfotos.com/70-300/
    Most of the shots were taken with a "cheap" Pentax 80-200. It treats me well until I need to get a wide frame close shot or a shot of something a ways out. I think I'll start looking around and seeing if I can find something used in the 300mm range to see if that will do the trick, but I have a feeling I just won't be happy with anything smaller than 500mm for the reach out and touch someone shots.

-Matt

Member #
    Not a bad shot...could use a little sharpening and a tighter crop(or more zoom) though.

Agreed.

Member #
    OK - I'm up. Here's one of the Alamo taken the other night. Thoughts? Suggestions? Planning to take some pics of the old missions around town, get large prints and use them to decorate some of the public space in our new (small) office suite. . . so help me with what might be appealing for those type of prints.

File Name: DSCN2024.jpg (rename)

.jpg cancel Taken With: NIKON COOLPI...
    File Size: 269 kb - 768x1024 Taken On: 2007:11:25 20:56:48
    Image Description: unknown Make: NIKON
    Model: COOLPIX P5000 Orientation: 1
    X Resolution: 300/1 Y Resolution: 300/1
    Resolution Unit: 2 Software: PictureProject 1.7.5 W
    Date Time: 2007:11:25 20:56:48 Y Cb Cr Positioning: 1
    Exif IFD Pointer: 276 Exposure Time: 12345679/100000000
    F Number: 27/10 Exposure Program: 2
    ISO Speed Ratings: 400 Exif Version: 0220
    Date Time Original: 2007:02:17 00:34:30 Date Time Digitized: 2007:02:17 00:34:30
    Components Configuration:  Exposure Bias Value: 0/10
    Max Aperture Value: 29/10 Metering Mode: 5
    Light Source: unknown Flash: 16
    Focal Length: 75/10 Maker Note: NikonII*"02...
    User Comment: unknown Flash Pix Version: 0100
    Color Space: 1 Exif Image Width: 2736
    Exif Image Length: 3648 File Source: 
    PRESENT: 1994 FJ80, stock

PAST: '98 TJ, 4.5"RE, 1"BL, 35" MTRs, 9" Currie HP w/ Detroit, D30 w/ ARB, 4.56's, Custom Steering setup, other misc. stuff. . .

Member #
    ohh...I really like it. I am gaining more love of black and white images. I like the use of angle.

Member #
    Images
    Like the pic! What is the top light source from? Moon or lightpole something or other?

I think its pretty cool

Member #
    ohh...I really like it. I am gaining more love of black and white images. I like the use of angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Like the pic! What is the top light source from? Moon or lightpole something or other?

I think its pretty cool
    Thanks! I'm a big fan of black and white for some reason. And I find myself taking pictures at an angle fairly often. Honestly, I think both of those things sometimes help make up for other composition/lighting issues. . . or keep me from having to think about it!

If you've never been to San Antonio and the Alamo, it sits right in the middle of downtown. There's lots of ambient lighting so it's probably a combination of the lights from surrounding buildings, the big Christmas tree in front, streetlights and the moon.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually had a 20 X 30 print done and it looks pretty good.

Member #
    I'd say to sell it as a stock photo, but I have since learned that stock photography is the anti-christ.

But I'm not bitter.

Member #
    I'd say to sell it as a stock photo, but I have since learned that stock photography is the anti-christ.

But I'm not bitter.
    Enlighten me

Member #
    Love the pic...absolutely love it. Nice Job.

Member #
    Snicho, excellent photo!! Excellent lighting, great angle and perfect composition! Magazine worthy to say the least!!

Member #
    Thanks.Using mirror lock up would have been a benifit too.Didnt use my tripod either.Broke all the rules

Member #
    Very cool shot snicho

Member #
    Thanks.Using mirror lock up would have been a benifit too.Didnt use my tripod either.Broke all the rules
    Mirror lock up?? Why? Unless your thinking a remote shutter realease?? Most shots of the moon that i take are WAY faster than a second when properly metered unless you were shooting a super tiny aperture. But thats not bad for handheld. I tried shooting some handheld at 500mm a few nights ago and every single one was unusable due to motion blur.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino95 View Post
    Love the pic...absolutely love it. Nice Job.
    Snicho, excellent photo!! Excellent lighting, great angle and perfect composition! Magazine worthy to say the least!!
    Very cool shot snicho
    Thanks!

Member #
    I tried this earlier but the thread had died,, now that is it back,, just curious about your thoughts on this one. It was a spur of the moment, no setup. Did have to blur out a branch.

thanks
    Brett
    Starting to post my pics at
    http://www.zenfolio.com/BNC04

Member #
    You know Brett, it's just not a bad shot. At the posted size I can't tell where the branch had to be removed, but I'd like to see the untouched picture to compare.

The subject is framed well in the trees. The lighting is probably as good as you are going to get it in those conditions without spooking animals. I even like the perspective.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Brett N Colorado View Post
    I tried this earlier but the thread had died,, now that is it back,, just curious about your thoughts on this one. It was a spur of the moment, no setup. Did have to blur out a branch.
    http://BNC04.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p208147775-4.jpg

thanks
    Brett

Member #
    Images
    You know Brett, it's just not a bad shot. At the posted size I can't tell where the branch had to be removed, but I'd like to see the untouched picture to compare.

The subject is framed well in the trees. The lighting is probably as good as you are going to get it in those conditions without spooking animals. I even like the perspective.

-Matt
    x2

I like it as is...interesting photo

Member #
    I can't upload another pic from here but the branch I colored out runs across the brim of his hat. You can see the slight discoloration. I don't have P Chop and use photo explosion. Thanks for the comments, I thought it was kind of a cool shot.
    Brett

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett N Colorado View Post
    I can't upload another pic from here but the branch I colored out runs across the brim of his hat. You can see the slight discoloration. I don't have P Chop and use photo explosion. Thanks for the comments, I thought it was kind of a cool shot.
    Brett
    If I was going to speculate, that's where I thought it might have been. Not that I can see it, it's just that is about the only spot where you'd want to edit something out. As the picture sits, the color on the hat just looks like one of those smudges you get when you're in the woods.

You're right. It is a cool shot.

-Matt

Member #
    Images
    Snicho - I said "oooh". You should enter that in the POTW...