PDA

View Full Version : Help the Hayman Reconstruction Effort

Red_Chili
September 8th, 2003, 03:01 AM
This is a repeat of some volunteer action by Rising Sun 4x4; we are opening it up to all who can make it. Last time was a great success, with Rising Sun, Colo. Go-4's, Big Horn Jeep Club and others, and the USFS really took notice.

This kind of PR is priceless, because it takes words and puts them into action in a way NO one can gainsay. We are helping private landowners with erosion protection and revegetation at the edge of the NF. The way we have done this will open the door for other projects in Pike itself.

From Jeff Zepp, Commander of Rising Sun:
Our last outing was quite a success, and we have planned a follow-up event for Sunday September 28th. The Forest Service http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/hayres was VERY impressed with both the work that we did, and the way we went about it, in an environmentally sensitive way. I spoke with Theresa Springer at CUSP http://uppersouthplatte.org today and she told me that we will be using closed trails on public land this time around. We will not only be transporting the straw to otherwise innaccessible areas, but we will also be building some straw dams.

The format we used the last time worked well, so we will again meet at the Westcreek Fire Station at 10:00AM. For those who wish to caravan to Westcreek from the Denver area, we will meet in Sedalia at 8:30 and leave by 8:45. Westcreek is off of Highway 67, north of Woodland Park. Once you turn off 67 toward Westcreek, turn left at the stop sign and you will see the fire station shortly. Bring gloves, lunch, water. Shovels and rakes will be helpful. If a few people bring sledge hammers to drive in the stakes for the straw dams that will also be helpful. If a few people bring chainsaws and/or bowsaws, that will come in handy. I would suggest perhaps safety glasses and a hat to keep the straw out of your eyes and hair :) I will be organizing jeffzepp@earthlink.net and Theresa Springer info@uppersouthplatte.org is our contact at CUSP. CB Channel 4. For late arrivals, wait at the fire station, we'll send someone back to round you up!

Here are some links to some photos from last time, to give you an idea of what it will be like:

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dirt/

http://www.freewebs.com/ourredyota/haymanfirerestorationeffo.htm

Please cross-post this freely to whatever Colorado 4x4 lists and BBs that you frequent. We had about a dozen rigs last time, and expect more this time. We are working on various scenarios for splitting up into smaller work groups for different areas, the number will depend on how many show up. Jeff and Jerry, we only had 2 from Co Spgs last time; can we count on more this time? We had Rising Sun, GO-4s and Big Horn Jeep Club last time, can we get CLC, MHJC and Rockhoppers involved for this?

Synopsis of this info is on the Rising Sun web site calendar page: http://risingsun4x4club.org/calender.html and includes links to maps, web sites and emails.

Thanks to everyone who came last time, and thanks in advance to all who will be there on the 28th!

Jeff Zepp
Rising Sun 4WD Club

[ September 09, 2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Red_Chili ]

XJDreme
September 8th, 2003, 04:49 AM
graemlins/thumbsup.gif Do you know what areas you will be working on this time? [she told me that we will be using closed trails on public land this time around.]

Big Dave
September 8th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Will definately try to make it!

REDBULL
September 8th, 2003, 05:23 AM
I will plan on making it this time around. :D

supernatural
September 8th, 2003, 07:05 AM
i would like to participate in this, as long as my schedule allows.

Ryan Travis Robinson
September 8th, 2003, 10:00 AM
me tooo

JadeRunner
September 8th, 2003, 10:55 AM
I will be there for this worthy effort.

Phantom
September 8th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Bummer its on a sunday.. as I now work those days.. and ofcourse my rig is down for head repairs. Next time round maybe set for a sat.. I would love to come.

Grandpa Jeep
September 9th, 2003, 03:40 AM
How rough is the area where we're going? I'd like to help out, but I'm not sure which rig to bring. My 3/4 ton pickup can haul a lot more straw than my Jeep, but can't go as many places. Is this area accessable by a mostly stock '85 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with skinny street tires? It does have a winch if that will help.

Red_Chili
September 9th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Here is the info I know, from Theresa Springer. Its on private land, to protect them from runoff. We are winning a lot of friends among the private landowners - you know, the folks who are likely to say "GET OFF MY *&^$*$* LAND!". It is kind of a pilot project (easier to do on private land) and the USFS is watching closely to see how we execute: (brackets added)
To: Jeff Zepp <jeff-***@earthlink.net>;
Date: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 4:55 PM
Subject: next project

Your guys did great [last time out]. Our next project is to move straw from Livingstons to Glauths. We will be using a currently closed forest service road and looping around from painted rocks to painted rocks. This road has a lot of examples of why roads get closed. New trails, ATV's going straight up a hill and under trees to go around, not using trails once in, etc. We have permission for your group to use it. They are putting a new lock on so I can get it open any day of the week.

This is rather a fun little road. ( We took a wrong turn and almost got the forest service guy stuck Dead end. no room to turn around.) We have
permission in one of the worst washouts to go around, unless your guys can make the road workable. To your guys that is a challenge. Remember they need to have a full load of straw on.

It is inspiring how much attention, to what we are doing with these straw bales and the use of your off road club moving the bails, was shown by the USFS guy.

Let me know if you have any one interested and a date to move onward.

Theresa Springer
Education Outreach
800.420-9110
A healthy watershed now and in the future.

Red_Chili
September 9th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Grandpa Jeep:
How rough is the area where we're going? I'd like to help out, but I'm not sure which rig to bring. My 3/4 ton pickup can haul a lot more straw than my Jeep, but can't go as many places. Is this area accessable by a mostly stock '85 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with skinny street tires? It does have a winch if that will help. I'd say, bring it, your choice. At worst you can transfer straw to built rigs. The USFS rig mentioned above was stock of course.

Crush
September 10th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Are there going to be any other dates this season to help? I had to go to a funeral the last time the group went up. I have to be some where else the weekend of this trip. My dad has an F250 and he also wants to help. Can you e-mail Me ASAP if there will be another trip? (Thevallanas@msn.com)

Red_Chili
September 10th, 2003, 10:40 AM
I'll post info here if there is! How's that?

Big Dave
September 10th, 2003, 11:12 AM
I'd throw this over in the Staging Area as well.

Red_Chili
September 11th, 2003, 03:10 AM
I believe it would be helpful to RSVP to Jeff Zepp jeffzepp@earthlink.net , who can then give information to Theresa so they can plan better how to use all of us. Nothing more frustrating than having a bunch of rigs and no plan to leverage all the people. Jeff expects maybe 20, and I would guess that is low, after you guys' great response.

Here is the latest conversation between Jeff and Theresa from the Rising Sun board:
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:42:34 -0600
Cc: "Gene W. King" <gwking@senior-express.com>,
"Jeff Stemas, S. District V.P. COA4WDCI" <jeffstemas@msn.com>,
"Jerry Nichols" <clcrocks@pcisys.net>, <ExecTalk@yahoogroups.com>,
"Rising Sun Mailing List" <risingsun@topica.com>
Subject: Re: 4x4s Help Hayman Resto, Part II

Hi Theresa,

I am cross-posting this to disseminate your question. The number of rigs is tough to know for sure. I have had enough acknowledgements to guess that it will be at least last time's dozen, and possibly as many as 20. I will re-post and ask for more firm RSVPs; as you well know the weather may play a factor. I would like to have a plan where we can have enough work planned for anywhere between six and two dozen rigs. I have already spoken with a number of folks who came last time and we now have some "veterans" who can lead work groups once given general instructions.

Perhaps a couple of us can come down and scope out some of these potential work areas and projects out with you and Jon. I am sure we can come up with a flexible plan that will maximize our resources. What do you think about gettting a few Rangers out to help direct or advise on both overall goals and technique? Maybe some folks from Denver Water can come out?

Jeff Zepp
Rising Sun 4WD Club

-----Original Message-----
To: jeffzepp@earthlink.net <jeffzepp@earthlink.net>
Date: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 10:14 AM
Subject: RE: 4x4s Help Hayman Resto, Part II

>Thanks Jeff, I need as soon as possible a rough count of vehicles and
bodys. Polaskis are important tools too. Flooding has gotten worse. Rough rough on land owners. I have had to cancel younger school age kids, work and tour days. It is just too dangerous. Thanks you so much for your groups help and expertise. Theresa
>
>Theresa Springer
>Education Outreach
>800.420-9110
>A healthy watershed now and in the future.

Crush
September 11th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Red_Chili:
I'll post info here if there is! How's that? That will work I will just have to make sure I keep checking it.

74BuckinBronc
September 15th, 2003, 03:13 AM
I would like to help out, but I am not sure in what way. I have two options. I am willing to use my trailer and truck to haul straw to the site, but I won't be able to get the straw any farther that than. Or I can bring my bronco on the trailer and put some straw in my truck and then use my bronco to get the straw where it needs to go. I sent an email to Mr. Zepp with no response as of yet. Anyone know how I could best help? Also I have a cousin that is willing to help as well. Thanks!

Red_Chili
September 15th, 2003, 10:48 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest using the Bronco. There were CJs/TJs there last time, and they were able to haul a fair number of bales each run. Looking like a great turnout so far, so capability would be more important than loadability. Hope you don't mind a little straw in the carpet... graemlins/bounce.gif

I plan on suggesting to the fetching Mrs. Morgan a roll in the hay after the run. (The back of the 4Runner should qualify after that...) It will likely fetch me a slap. graemlins/rasta.gif

supernatural
September 15th, 2003, 10:53 AM
how about loading the hay on top of my xj's roof rack?

74BuckinBronc
September 16th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Jeff,

Count me in and a probably for my cousin TY. He will be driving an XJ, and we can probably rig up something so the straw doesn't get in his carpet. I have no carpet so no worries here. I will bring my tools!

J.D.

Terry.Mc
September 16th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Hey Bill,

Terry Mc here from Colorado Dualsporters... my wife and I will be there with the 80 series Landcruiser. We should be able to shuttle some hay bales back and forth and maybe some bodies too.

ShaggyZR2
September 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Well, I dont have much muscle, or any tools to add to the effort, but i would be more than happy to do whatever i can to help. I have an S10 pickup, so at the very least i can haul a decient amount of straw. As long as i dont break anything (else) on my truck before then i will be there.

Alec W
September 17th, 2003, 07:16 AM
I would also like to help out assuming I get my rig out of the shop by then. I have an H2 with a large roof rack plus I can fold down the rear seats to maximize the cargo area.

74BuckinBronc
September 17th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Can anyone tell me where in Sedalia we will be meeting at 8:30am? I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to find, but just to make sure! Thanks!

J.D.

Jeff Mason
September 17th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Sedalia is the wide spot in the road between Littleton and Castle Rock on Santa Fe (hiway 85). If you are coming from the North or the East, it is probably fastest to take I-25 South to the Outlet Mall exit, go West past the turn to the mall, and then turn North on Hiway 85.

You can get a good idea by looking for Sedalia on Mapquest.

I am trying to make arrangements to get up there with my 14 year old son. We can haul a few bales in the back of the Amigo and can help with the manual labor work. A few of the boys in his Scout troop were up there earlier this year doing some remediation work, and they had a lot of fun (well, okay, they had some fun)

Gatoroc
September 17th, 2003, 04:23 PM
It looks like i've got the kitchen pass for that day so I'll be there. My heap doesn't do too well on the road so it will be trailered. How far from the fire station will we be traveling? Should I unload there or someplace closer? I'm brand new here so I haven't been to the Hayman area yet.

Thanks, Todd

Red_Chili
September 18th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by xjSLATExj:
how about loading the hay on top of my xj's roof rack? That would work. A little top-heavy. Do it.

Red_Chili
September 18th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Gatoroc:
It looks like i've got the kitchen pass for that day so I'll be there. My heap doesn't do too well on the road so it will be trailered. How far from the fire station will we be traveling? Should I unload there or someplace closer? I'm brand new here so I haven't been to the Hayman area yet.

Thanks, Todd Unload at the fire station, others did just that last time.

Jeff Mason
September 18th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Okay - to clarify somewhat on J.D.'s post about Sedalia - whenever we've run trails done there before, we have usually met in the Parking lot of the restaurant that is at the corner of hiway 85 and hiway 67. Here's a pic of the place:

http://www.sedaliagrill.com/images/Sedalia010.jpg

I doubt there will be many motorcycles or cars in that lot so early on a Sunday morning!

Does this sound okay, or is there a better place that everyone goes to?

Originally posted by Jeff Mason:
Sedalia is the wide spot in the road between Littleton and Castle Rock on Santa Fe (hiway 85). If you are coming from the North or the East, it is probably fastest to take I-25 South to the Outlet Mall exit, go West past the turn to the mall, and then turn North on Hiway 85.

You can get a good idea by looking for Sedalia on Mapquest.

I am trying to make arrangements to get up there with my 14 year old son. We can haul a few bales in the back of the Amigo and can help with the manual labor work. A few of the boys in his Scout troop were up there earlier this year doing some remediation work, and they had a lot of fun (well, okay, they had some fun)

Red_Chili
September 23rd, 2003, 08:30 AM
You will see a bunch of wheelers, and you have to TRY to get lost in Sedalia so I'd say you will see us. We met last time in front of the ice cream shop (Rocky Top?).

Be sure to RSVP to Jeff Zepp.

Hey Terry, good to hear from ya!!! See ya there.

74BuckinBronc
September 23rd, 2003, 11:16 AM
My RSVP has been sent.

Growing up on my grandfathers Farm/Ranch, I was born with a shovel in my hand so I'll be there ready to bust my rear! I am hoping to get two other guys with their rigs there and they have been RSVP'ed. Thanks Bill for the lead on this. There are guys from 4x4trails.net coming too! See you this weekend in big ole Sedelia.

J.D.

Red_Chili
September 24th, 2003, 04:06 AM
[From the Rising Sun list, from Jeff Zepp, Commander. Tally so far...]

Looks like 14 Toyotas, 5 Jeeps, 2 or 3 Broncos, an H2, an S10, an Amigo and who knows what
else. A number of people said they were planning to bring their off road trailers!

Total of 38 rigs, give or take who actually shows up and who arrives unexpectedly, and who may have been counted twice like JD and his 74 buckin bronco.

This will be great!

Here is the latest from CUSP as of last Friday:
I talked with Gary Morrison from USFS. I have to send them a confirmation of numbers email. I have emailed my pals at 9news and talked to 11 news. We
have not contacted Denver water for this project. We are doing a project with Denver water on Wednesday. Teller County is supplying semi's to move straw and Park county is supplying trustees to load the trucks. The straw will be dropped at the top of Painted rocks road for 4x4's to move off road.
Theresa
Again, here is the link to a synopsis of the project, look on the calendar
section:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org

This is another opportunity to show that responsible OHV enthusiasts can
work together with public and private institutions to help protect our
environment and still enjoy our motorized recreation.

Looking forward to seeing you all there again! Happy cruisin'!

Jeff Zepp
Rising Sun 4WD Club

74BuckinBronc
September 24th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Looking forward to the trip! Thanks for all the info. See you in Sedalia!

Red_Chili
September 26th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Update from Jeff Zepp. Looks like the project management will be decent, at least, if not very good:
The following is the work plan that Theresa from CUSP emailed me today. The
only modification I propose is to stick with my original post that people
who arrive late should wait at the fire station, and that we will send
someone back there around 11:00 AM to round you up and give assignments.

Please not that we will be working with Forest Service personnel, and will
be on closed, public land. Please note that we are there to help, and we
need to be as environmentally sensitive as we can possibly be. Note that
media have been contacted. In addition to TV stations, I spoke with Dane at
the Denver Post today and they may have a reporter and possibly a
photographer on hand. Let's do our best to make this a productive and fun
event!

Bill Morgan, would you please cross post this on Co 4x4 wire?

Thanks and happy cruisin'!

Jeff Zepp
Rising Sun 4x4 Club

From Theresa at CUSP:
Workday Sept 28th Meet at Westcreek fire station. 10:00 am
Road use. The Forest service roads that we will not be using will be
ribboned off. Please stay on the road.
Each crew (5 rigs) will need: 2 sledge hammers, 2 Pulaski?s or picks and 3
shovels. Pick up 44 stakes or more each they will do 2 check dams. Please
bring tools water, lunch and radios.
Total tools needs for day. 8 Pulaski or pick axes, 12 shovels, four
sledgehammers and 4 axes.
Sign in - first 10 rigs leave with Bobby (Natural Resource Conservation)
and Carol (CUSP) to load straw, take to site and build the straw structures:
They will separate and start construction.
The route is south on painted rocks to key lock gate on Forest Service
road 343. Then up to the first right hand turn marked with ribbon into
Glauths.
Once in Glauths start at the top of the drainage near the fence line
building check dams.

Goal By 10:30 all trucks will be working.
All but five trucks will drive to the straw pile for loading. It is located
on the east side of Painted Rocks road on a curve. There will be two forest
service FS personnel for traffic control. Until we clear a pull off area, we
may need someone from the rigs to work North bound other traffic flow.
One FS and Preston (CUSP) will leave with the first five vehicles. The
lead FS will stop at the turn on 343 Forest service road that goes to
Glauths to control traffic. Preston will take them to the staging area where
the bails will be unloaded. He will stay there. Once that group has left and
turned right at the traffic control site, five more vehicles will turn to
unload and so on. Jeff Zepp or his appointee should be in the first truck to
assess the road out.
The last five trucks will leave with Jon to finish off Kings and rehab
trails. They should be done by 12:30 lunch break time.
At 12:30 we will break for lunch. At that time we will assess the PM needs.

PM Goals: whole stack moved to Glauths and place bails where dams will be
built. Jon will lead this activity. At 12:30 the FS personnel leave.
Note: Unlike the first workday the dam sites are not staked out. We will
have to train. If bails still need moved off of Painted Rocks Road rigs will
have to replace FS traffic.

Preston will take a crew of 5 and build dams.
Theresa will do the same. 20 rigs will be building dams and 20 will be
placing bails.
Tools: 2 Pulaski?s or pick axes, 3 shovels and a sledge hammer per crew.

Grandpa Jeep
September 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Well, I'm not going to be able to make it. I have to haul my daughter to practice tomorrow. Looks like you guys have plenty of help lined up though. Will try to make it next time.

Red_Chili
September 29th, 2003, 02:24 AM
20 tons of straw moved, many straw dams built, made the news in Colorado Springs and a 20 second spot on Channel 2 News!

Lots of good will built with the community on behalf of the 4x4ers of Colorado. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!

BTW, an air gun works better on removing straw from your interior than a vacuum... tongue.gif ;)
and for heaven's sake, do NOT try to wash it out, ask me how I know that won't work...

Just _A_Friend
September 29th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Yep was on the news here in the Springs. Is there going to be another work day like this?

Red_Chili
September 30th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Yep. I'll try to post 'em!

ahhjaws
September 30th, 2003, 05:43 PM
I'd be in for another if there is one, unless I can't get my rig finished in time.