PDA

View Full Version : Would you fund an OHV tax?

mikechevoda @hotmail.com
March 8th, 2004, 02:54 PM
An other thing, I know that budget plays a big part in funding people to patrol OHV roads, however how many people would pay an OHV tax to help such funds? I'm sure someone has brought that up with U.S.F.S. but I have not heard mutch talk about it. Would you pay it to use OHV trails?

Comfortably Numb
March 8th, 2004, 04:12 PM
My answers are somewhat conditonal. I would be in favor of a tax similar to the Pittman Robertson act tax on firearms that is used to provide funding to state wildlife agencies. But if the tax is done differently then I may be opposed to it. As the old saying goes, "the devil is in the details."

ProfessorRex
March 8th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I think that the OHV tax should be collected by issuing, and requiring a OHV permit. This permit would cost money. Hunters, and Fisherman both are required to have such permits.

AND as far left, and anti BIG BROTHER as I am, I want the permits to be accompanied by a record of who we are AND a picture of what we drive. Then when there is a photographic evidence of some wrong-doing FS can easily issue a ticket. All this, while pretty crappy, will increase the amount of revenue that FS has, AND (here's the big one)

IF WE OHV USERS ARE MONEY MAKERS THEN THE FS WILL LIKE US MUCH MUCH MORE!!! They like money!!!

No government organization will shut down a profitable activity, ESPECIALY the Forest Service, their budget is tight allready!

BentnTwisted
March 9th, 2004, 05:12 AM
At what point would it become necc to have a ohv tag,the start of the road,the first obstacle,my point being that people in suv's go up and drive on fs roads to look at aspen leaves and little bunnies and such but are not "4 wheeling" so would they be ticketed for no tag.I know many dirt bike riders who have plated bikes but still buy ohv tags to fund ohv interests,its going to be hard to regulate.The answer may be to make tickets handed out by the forest service effect your driving license points,fines,etc..its easy to ignore a 50 fine for going off the trail until you can't drive to work to pay it.It works for the boats

BentnTwisted
March 9th, 2004, 05:15 AM
I voted yes by the way,just pointing out some thoughts :D

TwoDogs
March 9th, 2004, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure about this but; Tickets written by Federal officers, ie rangers, are sent to federal court, and taken care of by a federal magistrate. I know this to be true on some federal property, and military bases. I do know that federal tickets, pack a hefty fine.

mikechevoda @hotmail.com
March 9th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Wow there is so many opinions about this issue and I agree with all of you guys. I never though about what we would do with the "site seers" with out the OHV tag but still on FS land, however are they still on roads that are controlled and kept up by the FS or not? I know that the U.S.F.S does already get money from all of us paying taxes and is it fare for some people to pay for something they may never use? Perhaps almost everybody who lives in this area goes to the mountains some time or an other, and they did pay to use that land, however if you drive on the land should it be a good idea to charge all the people drive on the land or not. I am not just talking about hard core 4-wheeling roads, witch do need to be kept up more to avoid erosion, but erosion is part of the fun however if we could kept it open by funding more and keeping the roads less eroded wouldn’t' it be better than closing the area completely?

mikechevoda @hotmail.com
March 9th, 2004, 12:22 PM
If I remember right isn't there an SUV tax when you redigester SUV's? And if there is one what does the money go to anybody know?

Lars915
March 10th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I can say most assuredly that I would never vote for a tax for this type of activity. But, I would buy a permit to run certain trails like boats do for certain lakes. Taxes are too pervasive and have to be evenly applied, even to people who wouldn't be participating (the recreational bunny viewers mentioned above.)

BentnTwisted
March 10th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Lars has a good idea,like when you go to chatfield or day use areas,a little self pay station you getta sticker etc etc..easier than the tax to enforce and the trail that gets more travel generate more $$ for its upkeep graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mikechevoda @hotmail.com
March 10th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Yea these are all good points but how mutch money would we spend paying people to stand in a booth all day, if you ad up all the roads that should be watched it would caust a lot. I guess the tax isnt' a good idea, I think the pass or sticker is a better idea, like the ones you need for ATV's and dirt bikes.

BentnTwisted
March 11th, 2004, 05:52 AM
I was actually thinking more along the lines of a self pay station like a campground has,little cubby with slips you put your money in with you info on it,rip off a tag for your windsheild,and drop it in a tube.The forest service comes and collects the cash and spends it for trail up keep on that trail.

mikechevoda @hotmail.com
March 11th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Oh I see, just like the bottom of pritchette canyon, I wonder how many people would actually put money in it though. Good Idea, untill someone backs over it and puts it in the back of their truck. I guess a lot of concrete would be in order. Thanks for the reply.

BEASTJEEP95
April 2nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
I Dont Think That We Should Have To Pay Anything To Wheel On Public Land, After All It Is Public, We All Own A Part Of It! But If It Came To That Point I Would Pay To Keep It Open.

gder
April 3rd, 2005, 12:45 AM
I don't own a OHV (at least not by the FS standards) but a friend of mine has a Wolveriene. He gets some kind of a registration sticker for it. Says that if it ever came down to a search and rescue operation then he would be covered by the permit and not have to pay the costs out of pocket. This is all unverified third hand information so take it with a block of salt...

I would support permits for OHV's as a form of revenue collection for the FS but wouldn't want a seperate tax added on to anything.

Gene

Puke'nDog
April 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
I Dont Think That We Should Have To Pay Anything To Wheel On Public Land, After All It Is Public, We All Own A Part Of It! But If It Came To That Point I Would Pay To Keep It Open.

This is a very interesting thread but, your barking up the wrong tree. Colorado currently as an OHV "tax" which the state uses for OHV issues and projects, I believe this is the same in Utah. Remember a few months ago when some clown from Ohio (which has NO public land) slipped in a riders to THEE federal budget bill allowing for "taxing" any one, any where on public land for any reason??? ( no mention of where or how the money would be used, maybe there's another foreign country somewhere that needs another loan they won't repay) IF YOU REALLY WANT TO MAKE SOME THING GOOD HAPPEN... Then go to your Senators and Congress... AND BITCH LIKE HOLY HELL for them to start putting more money in to public land management!! The cost of ONE B-1 bomber, just ONE, would double the entire budget of the BLM, the ENTIRE BLM in the United States. Where many awesome trails are like the ones around Moab and the Billings (class 9) 4X4 trail near Grand Junction are located. This would increase the budget of the Forest Service fully by 1/3 and since their budget for '06 has been decreased this might by a good place to start.

OR... you could "tax" YOURSELFS some more and let the Politicians spend your hard earned "tax" money on some foreign country that bitches and moans about how poor they are and need another LOAN they don't ever intend to repay, in fact the those leaders may use YOUR money for private proposes. But what do you care? TAX yourself some more.

4-rocks
April 3rd, 2005, 07:34 PM
I don't have a problem with a back country users permit. This would include hikers as well. If the money went into a superfund that was earmarked for trail improvents. I think if the money were controled by an advisery board made up of FS people, off roaders, hikers, etc. I think it might work. I also feel if a club, group, etc. goes out and does a project I think they should get paid from the fund. It wouldn't hurt for the fines levied on the trails to go into the fund.

ThePagan
April 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
The question is too vague. What would the funds be used for? How charged? Who or what entity is responsible for it? etc etc etc.

In many ways we are already taxed for driving off-road... (fuel taxes are paid for driving on hwy, those of us with off-road only or mostly rigs already pay this tax)....

- Shawn

GPP33
April 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I don't own a OHV (at least not by the FS standards) but a friend of mine has a Wolveriene. He gets some kind of a registration sticker for it. Says that if it ever came down to a search and rescue operation then he would be covered by the permit and not have to pay the costs out of pocket. This is all unverified third hand information so take it with a block of salt...

I would support permits for OHV's as a form of revenue collection for the FS but wouldn't want a seperate tax added on to anything.

Gene

That's how it works for fishing permits. You pay like 20 cents and you're covered for the year.

66HD
April 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I already pay tax to maintain, and use public land.

The monies that the national park system raises does not even go back into the national park system. I doubt that they would here, either.

I think that we had a little event in the 1770's about crap like this...