PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand Mess Covered on Front Page of the Longmont Newspaper

Aaron
October 9th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Hey all, I just wanted to let you all know that another news source has covered what happened in Left Hand. It is actually a pretty good article. The Longmont newspaper, "Daily Times Call", even featured it on the front page this morning. There are some good shots from the air of the area, a link to this site, and even a quote from the owner of our shop! Check it out if you get a chance.

Shepper
October 9th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Here's a link:

Longmont Daily Times (http://www.longmontfyi.com/)

Then if you click on the "local" link, it will tak you to the full story.

Hobo Willy
October 9th, 2003, 05:11 AM
http://www.longmontfyi.com/local.htm#story1

Snotty
October 9th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Good story, but still had a tinge of a bias.

Speeding Dirt bikes, Lurching vehicles. Mentions the use of trails even when crossing private property. I felt they left just enough out that more people will be on the side anti-recreation without know both sides. I think it should have been left out, but that?s just me.

I think credit should be given to the wheeling community for finding and reporting the action but I did like this implication:

The damage comes after the rural area?s residents complained that the Forest Service was failing to keep forest users off private property.It would seem to me that Mark?s and his neighbor?s ruse that they are protecting the environment is a sham at best. The people that did this obviously do not care about the environment at all. Maybe its about time we put something together showing the damage done to the environment by the property owners. Might show them to be the liars that they really are and that there agenda isn?t environmentalism, but anti-recreation.

xjeeper633
October 9th, 2003, 06:39 AM
I agree the motivation behind the land owners doesn't seem to be environmental, but anti-recreational. Hey if I had a house way up in the mountains I'd prolly bulldoze hundreds of trees since thats so much easier than putting up a gate, NOT. Who does this, really think about it.....somebody is so mad that they have to hear engines running from time to time that it makes them so furious they bulldoze tons of trees w/heavy equipment to stop them from driving through.... graemlins/idea.gif either this person isn't right upstairs or just some senile old kodger that doesn't want people driving on his land graemlins/crybaby.gif

How do the land owners think they are going to win when they turn the only people helping their cause( graemlins/rainbow.gif ECO-NAZIS that throw down buckets of nails on the trail, that I have personally picked up hundreds of in tire ruts or graemlins/smokin.gif HIPPIES) against them. Now they are going against graemlins/old_glory.gif 4 wheelers and graemlins/smokin.gif hippies, finally the forces unite. Hey how about some of you ECO NAZIS throw some nails down in the driveway of the guy who cut down all those trees!!!

WrathofCon
October 9th, 2003, 07:10 AM
It is a decent article.... I am surprised...

Looks worse from the air even!!!

thughes
October 9th, 2003, 09:16 AM
It looks even worse from the air in a very small airplane flying in circles.

Ingvae
October 9th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by thughes:
It looks even worse from the air in a very small airplane flying in circles. Welcome to our community!
I am assuming you are the author of that article, correct?

Thanks for the coverage.

thughes
October 9th, 2003, 09:31 AM
I read the board regularly - it was you guys who got my editors interested. I am part of the community, when I'm not working.

Aaron
October 9th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by thughes:
I read the board regularly - it was you guys who got my editors interested. I am part of the community, when I'm not working. Welcome to the Board! Glad we got you to read the board!!!! BTW, nice article! graemlins/beer.gif

Eric
October 9th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Thank you Trevor! Welcome to CO4x4 and thanks for mentioning CO4x4 in your article graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/beer.gif

The photos that Backcountry shared with us looked bad enough, the real damage is dramatically more evident in the aerial photo :(

Jpjnkyco
October 9th, 2003, 02:18 PM
This issue is about over use...Too many people---too small a place...I love to 4Wheel but this concentration this close to Denver & Boulder is getting to be too much....I don't like what the land owners are doing...but we need to learn to spread out our usage of our lands, or we are going to be kicked out all together....

WrathofCon
October 10th, 2003, 07:27 AM
That is the best case for opening even more tails, and not closing the ones we already have.

Joker
October 10th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by WrathofCon:
That is the best case for opening even more tails, and not closing the ones we already have. Ditto!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bill
October 10th, 2003, 07:59 AM
The article is no longer on the the linked page. Is it achived somewhere? (I couldn't find any link to recent articles on the newspaper's website.)

Aaron
October 10th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Not to spoil this, but I think that we need to focus on keeping what trails we have, open, and not worry about opening new trails. Now I am not saying that I wouldn't love it if I had a new place to play, but I am trying to point out that for every one person that would like to see a new trail, there are at least a hundred that would be against it. And also for every one of us that wants to keep a trail open, there are at least 100 trying to get it shut down.

I just wish that we were all so gun-ho about this stuff all the time, not just when something bad happens, like in this Left Hand mess going on right now. There are a lot of battles that are elsewhere that we might not of heard about.

I guess what I am getting at is that yes this sucks and yes it would be great in getting some new trails open, but let's please focus on the issue at hand. We need to focus time and energy on teaching and informing the public about all the good our community does and not try to start more battles than we already have.

But this is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. graemlins/beer.gif

Breck4x4[John]
October 10th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by WrathofCon:
That is the best case for opening even more tails, and not closing the ones we already have. I agree with Aaron. While I'm not in favor of limiting access but just bowing out and trying to open a new trail everytime something happens to an existing trail eventually we will run out of places to have trails. This last event shows that while there is tons of talk about the enviroment the people that want to keep people off trails have no intrest in the enviroment.

Let see: The off roaders piss me off so much that I will down trees and create a situation where the land will take over 100 years to recover. :rolleyes: That sure sounds like someone who has a great apperation for the enviroment.

We sometimes get a little to relaxed and don't think that trail closures will hit us directly. With every trail that we fight for and keep open there is no time to rest. There are multiple groups trying to close trails, and it seems if they are on the outside of legal precident they just seem to fight harder and sometimes, as in this case do whatever they can, right or wrong.