PDA

View Full Version : Nitro bumpstops???? UPDATE!!!!! DONE

tim"toolman"
March 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM
I am moving up to nitrogen bumps stops. Any input from people running these would help.
Goal: Limit uptravel with soft extra long alcan leaf springs.
Problem: Springs have so much movement I have contacted my hydro ram on the engine pulleys. I have been running these for several years so nothing new. I extended my rubber stops down to just above the axle and corrected the contact problem but it is very harsh driving over rough roads or hitting the brakes hard.
My original thought was to runs the nitro bumps running contact to the spring plates. However I think it may drive me crazy over 5 mph?????
I understand they are designed more for hard landings over jumps or baja running. Input...........?????? Thanks
PS I am going to four link the front to match the rear but not until next winter.

jackrabbit
March 31st, 2007, 07:56 PM
I am moving up to nitrogen bumps stops. Any input from people running these would help.
Goal: Limit uptravel with soft extra long alcan leaf springs.
Problem: Springs have so much movement I have contacted my hydro ram on the engine pulleys. I have been running these for several years so nothing new. I extended my rubber stops down to just above the axle and corrected the contact problem but it is very harsh driving over rough roads or hitting the brakes hard.
My original thought was to runs the nitro bumps running contact to the spring plates. However I think it may drive me crazy over 5 mph?????
I understand they are designed more for hard landings over jumps or baja running. Input...........?????? Thanks
PS I am going to four link the front to match the rear but not until next winter.

hey tim, greg(tensor) on here just put a set on the front of his tj for some speed dampening and he really likes em, nick up at xtreme really likes to incorporate them in his suspension designs, personally, I would wait til you did the links to install them, with the leaf wrap if any it might be hard to accurately place a mounting plate for the bumpstop head to hit. Just my .02, I'm planning on putting them on the 'tin can' after moab. Good luck with your plan regardless.:beer:

tim"toolman"
April 1st, 2007, 09:28 AM
hey tim, greg(tensor) on here just put a set on the front of his tj for some speed dampening and he really likes em, nick up at xtreme really likes to incorporate them in his suspension designs, personally, I would wait til you did the links to install them, with the leaf wrap if any it might be hard to accurately place a mounting plate for the bumpstop head to hit. Just my .02, I'm planning on putting them on the 'tin can' after moab. Good luck with your plan regardless.:beer:

Yea I know it will be hard to stay in contact with the leaf spring but that is one of the reasons I was going to mount them touching the spring plates. ???

J Kimmel
April 6th, 2007, 07:39 AM
throw em on with a little uptravel and go with it. You can always move them, its not too hard to cut the mount off and move it if need be :)

Let us know how it works, I am thinking about getting a full set on my rig here soon :)

tim"toolman"
April 6th, 2007, 08:16 AM
throw em on with a little uptravel and go with it. You can always move them, its not too hard to cut the mount off and move it if need be :)

Let us know how it works, I am thinking about getting a full set on my rig here soon :)

Thats the plan tommorow. I am going to tact them with about an inch clearance an go throttle it thru a couple dips. I see alot of people mounting these on the jeep speed cherokees with leaf springs. I was hoping someone had first hand experience.....What the heck the rest of the rig has been trial and error :rolleyes: and it works good.

J Kimmel
April 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I've read stuff on pirate from guys with leafs that have installed them, they seem to love them. I'm leaf in the front airshock rear, I plan on them all the way around.

report back! :)

tim"toolman"
April 7th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I've read stuff on pirate from guys with leafs that have installed them, they seem to love them. I'm leaf in the front airshock rear, I plan on them all the way around.

report back! :)

An awesome upgrade. I also have 7" longer alcans front and 110" wheelbase with air shocks rear and four link. I installed the bumpstops at a slight angle forwards about 1" over the spring plates allowing for the axle movement backwards during compression. I took it for a drive down the street and hit the dips in the street about 20mph and can't even feel it. I flexed it up on a wall and have no contact problems. :pbj: :pbj: Now time for :beer: :beer:
Let me know if you want to check it out. Tim

05Willys
April 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
:redx2: O thats right

:worthless:

tim"toolman"
April 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM
:redx2: O thats right

:worthless:

Yea your right.....I guess I'm old school...no knowledge of this hi tech computer stuff....I have tried to post pics before but mmmmmm can't make it work... guess I'm too old... anyone who has wheeled with me knows my rig and if you want to see it, wheel with me...:D I will be happy to share the old fasioned way......In person. Tim

oleblue
April 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Yea your right.....I guess I'm old school...no knowledge of this hi tech computer stuff....I have tried to post pics before but mmmmmm can't make it work... guess I'm too old... anyone who has wheeled with me knows my rig and if you want to see it, wheel with me...:D I will be happy to share the old fasioned way......In person. Tim
:laughing: :hail: :thumbsup:

bender
April 8th, 2007, 03:40 AM
get some 4 inchers and play around with air pressure

J Kimmel
April 9th, 2007, 03:04 PM
An awesome upgrade. I also have 7" longer alcans front and 110" wheelbase with air shocks rear and four link. I installed the bumpstops at a slight angle forwards about 1" over the spring plates allowing for the axle movement backwards during compression. I took it for a drive down the street and hit the dips in the street about 20mph and can't even feel it. I flexed it up on a wall and have no contact problems. :pbj: :pbj: Now time for :beer: :beer:
Let me know if you want to check it out. Tim

Sounds great! I've got just about the same setup, the road in and out of the trails out in montrose sucked this weekend from bottoming out my front :(

What brand and length did you go with? What pressure are you using?

tim"toolman"
April 10th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Sounds great! I've got just about the same setup, the road in and out of the trails out in montrose sucked this weekend from bottoming out my front :(

What brand and length did you go with? What pressure are you using?

Fox 2.0 stops. I didn't know there were different lengths?? These have 4" of travel and are supposed to be shipped with 200psi. I need to check this as the drivers side bottoms out under full vehicle weight. I think my next purchase is a good nitro charge kit as I keep borrowing other peoples. :o
Any input on this (where and how much) would be appreciated.

crawlnjeep
April 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I picked up the nitrogen setup from polyperformance. You can get all the pieces and a nice case for $400, or do like I did and buy the pieces minus the case for $280. I don't understand why they add $120 for a plastic case.

J Kimmel
April 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM
go to a welding supply place, get a high psi guage and call it good. thats where mine came from. I think thats my next mod. I planned on installing bumps, guess I'm going to go straight to air bumps.

homegrown
April 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM
i ended up using a old compression test gauge for our nitrogen gauge. works good.

tim"toolman"
April 13th, 2007, 04:35 PM
i ended up using a old compression test gauge for our nitrogen gauge. works good.

What did you do for the fitting that attaches to the shock? My valves on my air shocks is slightly inset.

homegrown
April 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM
i put an air chuck to the gauge. we have used this set up on air shocks and coilovers. i have not used it on air bumps yet.

never wheeled
April 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM
If your bumps are easy to move they will on their own. ALL of your vehicles weight is SLAMMING into them a couple Tac welds won't do it.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2109519700050686511vMCjKJ
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2213520990050686511pTHfdd
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2447837220050686511ygZPgg
Permenant mounting is Highly recomended
:beer:

tim"toolman"
April 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM
If your bumps are easy to move they will on their own. ALL of your vehicles weight is SLAMMING into them a couple Tac welds won't do it.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2109519700050686511vMCjKJ
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2213520990050686511pTHfdd
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2447837220050686511ygZPgg
Permenant mounting is Highly recomended
:beer:

Thanks. You are correct. When I said easy to move I meant the welds are more accessable if I feel the need to move them. I am still leaf sprung and run 16" 9000 shocks so the impact isn't as bad as a full air shock suspension. I'm sorry I can't post some pics but the end result turned out good.

never wheeled
April 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Gotta love desert techknology on a rock crawler :D

tim"toolman"
May 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Update... Extra rough trip to Farmington proved the stops to be an excelent addition. Dropping off big ledges and slaming backwards off ledges (after being denied :) took it well. Even running roads and hitting ruts where no problem. I would recomend this upgrade highly. "Toolman"

J Kimmel
May 10th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Great to hear Tim, I ordered mine yesterday. Cans will hopefully be here this week, and bumpstops are already in. I can't wait to see the difference!