PDA

View Full Version : Gipped by a 1/16th of an Inch of steelat Rustys

DETN8R
March 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I recently ordered some of Rustys Offroad Heavy Duty Lower Axle Mounts because I broke one of my on carnage last month. After reading that they used 1/4" steel I ordered them and was surprised to see when we were getting ready to weld them on that they were in fact 3/16ths thick. To late to get a replacement and when I called to complain they gave me some BS answer that it was some metric sized stock they were using but that it was somehow 1/4" steel anyway despite me throwing some calipers(the precision measuring instrument) on them.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=LCM-1&Category_Code=ARMS

tjmaxx
March 16th, 2007, 05:35 AM
From their web page:

"Don't accept foreign knock-offs, Buy American! We've discovered a foreign company has begun copying a number of our parts. Support American and buy American!"

AMERICAN steel should come in good old AMERICAN thickness measurements - non of this metric crap. I think you got hosed!

Big Dave
March 16th, 2007, 06:09 AM
It's Rusty's, whaddya expect?

Trango
March 16th, 2007, 06:53 AM
AMERICAN steel should come in good old AMERICAN thickness measurements - non of this metric crap. I think you got hosed!

I think you misspelled "English".

tjmaxx
March 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I think you misspelled "English".

Okay, but then your punctuation should be inside the quotation marks!

jdogg4
March 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM
NO kidding on the rusty stuff is it a shocker they gipped you? 1000 bad post about his CUSTOMER service and their parts for every 1 good one if that and people still buy from this guy??????
I buy and sell metal and I call BS on what they are saying about metal. Sheets come in plate if it's not plate then it's sheet metal.
There is domestic metal and thats all we except at our shop. Well we do take in stuff from Canada but it's still coded material. not cheap china crap.

gumcrew2
March 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I got ripped by Rusty's once, they begged me too do business with them again, I did, and got ripped again.

Bastards.

-Saul

scottycards
March 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I work in the steel business. Always put a caliper on anything you buy, from any source. It's super common practice to "accidentally" ship thinner material in the steel world.

I'm not defending anyone, but it's very possible that your supplier ordered 1/4, got an invoice from their supplier that confirmed they bought 1/4, and were shipped 3/16 unbeknownst to them.

Maybe not. Just a heads up.

Unlimited04
March 21st, 2007, 10:45 AM
I work in the steel business. Always put a caliper on anything you buy, from any source. It's super common practice to "accidentally" ship thinner material in the steel world.

I'm not defending anyone, but it's very possible that your supplier ordered 1/4, got an invoice from their supplier that confirmed they bought 1/4, and were shipped 3/16 unbeknownst to them.

Maybe not. Just a heads up.

definitely true. We've had a few parts being a nice press fit instead of the sliding fit we designed.:rant:

DETN8R
March 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I know about that. I work with a machine shop but the Guy at Rusty's told me it was some form of metric steel and that it was still 1/4" magically.

Trango
March 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
No matter what other method you use to measure it, an hour is still an hour and 1/4" is still 1/4".

satan
March 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
or 6.35mm is still 6.35mm :flipoff: