PDA

View Full Version : Tera Low 4:1 conversion

Hippie
August 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Just finished the install in Rock Kitys TJ.

The instructions were VERY detailed :thumbsup: with pictures:thumbsup: . Install was smooth - no problems (2 guys about 6-7 hours taking our time). The case is stronger as Tera left the extra material on it so that the mounting points and fastner locations are not tabs like on the factory case.

So far very happy with it, of course all she has "wheeled" with it is around the neighborhood working on the break in. I guess that means we can start calling her pavement princess :flipoff2: .

A few recommendations for anyone doing this.

Replace the chain while you are in there as well as ALL the seals.
Just install a new front output bearing.
Just buy new stud bolts that mount the Tcase to the tranny, it will save you some time and headache.

Two tools you must have are the lock ring pliers and a plastic dead blow hammer

Can't wait to see how it does on the trail:drool:

rockhugger75
August 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
"Replace the chain while you are in there"

Where and how much did you pay for the chain?... I would like to skip a dealer....

Rock Kitty
August 7th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Where and how much did you pay for the chain?... I would like to skip a dealer....
High Country Performance 4x4 - can't remember the price. Call them and ask for Jason.

rockhugger75
August 7th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I called HC4x4 and they sent me to A1 trann... Thanks for the help.

ChugicakMan
August 7th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I have this set up for the last two years, find it works well, holding up well. advise changing the oil each year... and, I just added the Two-Wheel Low Option. Considering, many trails are not worthy of 4-wheel drive, and other benifits too... example, better turning raduis in 2 wheel.

THEPLUMBER
August 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM
i did the tera low 4-1 on a 231 and the tera extrem sye--pretty easy instal (about 3 hrs and a 6-pak of beer) cant wait to get the new rear drive shaft tomorrow to check it out.

i did have to call jason at high4x4 today to get an adaptor for the spedo, i have the 3-round-inline and the kit came with the 3-flat-inline, no more gear drive....not a big deal.

i think tera should send a new shift fork rod so you dont have to cut the 231j models down to 9.38" with the fork still attached to it....still no big deal---cut it a little long and hand filled down the last couple 100ths

my chain seemed fine--'92 vintage, i did replace the seals and bearings

i think its a great product and would recomend it to any one who wants to crawl a little slower:beer:

Hippie
August 7th, 2006, 04:22 PM
We did not have to cut the fork rod :D

Jeffro600
August 8th, 2006, 05:06 AM
This is just my two cents...

I think the tera-low is a great way to strengthen up the 231, but as far as crawl ratios go, it still leaves alot to be desired...at least for me. I drove a YJ when i was out in CA a few months ago that had the 4:1 kit and 4.88s with 35's and it still just didnt crawl all that well...clutch still needed to be abused a little bit too much on really technical obsticles. But there again, sometimes 4 hi is not enough gear but then the 4:1 is way too much....really the only way to have the happy medium is to do a dual T-case setup like with the yotas. Youll have 4-hi, still retain your stock 4-low, but then also 4-ULTRAlow with a much much higher crawl ratio so that you dont even need to touch the clutch.

Thats just me though...just seems like an awful lot of money to slightly increace your crawl ratios.

Hippie
August 8th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Jeffro - I would have loved to put the Stack 3 speed or Atlas 4 speed in it but neither of those would have been shipped in time let alone installed (bit of a time crunch). Also the cost is a big factor - this was about half the other 2. I just can't justify the extra cost :shrug:

Besides which - with the 4.56 R&P's in her rig this gives her a final crawl ratio of 69.86:1

When she goes to 37's I intend to change the R&P's to 4.88's which will give her a ratio of 74.76:1

more than enough;)

rockhugger75
August 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I only have 4:88 and stock 231 and it crawls like a snail...

I think it's most likely a driver problem?j/k....lol

jtw2
August 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
hmm...any idea what the crawl ratio would be with 5.38s?

Jeffro600
August 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM
hmm...any idea what the crawl ratio would be with 5.38s?

Probably in the neighborhood of about 85:1 or so...dont have a calculator handy

jtw2
August 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM
hmmm....wanna help me install one?

Hippie
August 14th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Not really :flipoff2:

Seriously depending on when you are doing it if I am available I could help.

EEJEEP
October 20th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I am considering a tera-low kit. I have heard some rumors that the T-case can't go over a certain RPM will in 4-wheel drive. Can anyone confirm this? Is it in the instruction manual that was sent with the kit?

ChugicakMan
October 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM
The idea is that if you remain at 3,000 rpm or higher for a longer time than needed, damage may occur. They just advise shifting up if running 3,000 + and avoid problem. Mine is holding up well and does the job... very pleased for the $.

formatt
October 23rd, 2006, 08:06 AM
I drove a YJ when i was out in CA a few months ago that had the 4:1 kit and 4.88s with 35's and it still just didnt crawl all that well...clutch still needed to be abused a little bit too much on really technical obsticles.

user error. :D j/k

4:1, 35's, 4.88's & manual tranny and it was perfect. I NEVER touched the clutch and I wheel pretty ginger like.

My only complaint was that it's kinda loud compared to an unmolested 231. You get used to it pretty quick though. I'll definitely throw another one in the new project.

ChugicakMan
October 23rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
I would advise changing the oil to Synthetic, too reduce the noise- it helps a %.

yzergod
December 21st, 2006, 01:56 PM
I've run into 2 people that have had the planetary gear sepparate causing bad juju with the 4:1 kit. It seems the gears are punched into the planetary and not welded or secured. Anybody else hear of or experience this problem? Or know of a bulletproof fix? I ask because I picked up a 231 with the Tera kit and SYE from a fellow club member for a couple hundred bucks. SO, I have to replace the planetary. He felt this was a design problem and went to an Atlas. Any thoughts or help?

Guammy
December 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM
Jeffro - I would have loved to put the Stack 3 speed or Atlas 4 speed in it but neither of those would have been shipped in time let alone installed (bit of a time crunch). Also the cost is a big factor - this was about half the other 2. I just can't justify the extra cost :shrug:

Besides which - with the 4.56 R&P's in her rig this gives her a final crawl ratio of 69.86:1

When she goes to 37's I intend to change the R&P's to 4.88's which will give her a ratio of 74.76:1

more than enough;)

Why would you spend the time and $$ for just one size

5.13's work great for me and I love the super low crawl ratio, I think I'm around 100.1 :D

Jocko
January 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I have been running the 4:1 kit for the last two years. I have had ZERO issues with it. I am swapping the 2.5/AX-5 for a 4.0/AX-15. Called to see what I needed to do to get the 23 spline input gear. They said, "ship it to us and we'll take care of you."

So I pay for shipping only, they do the rest. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

Edit: They even paid to ship it back to me.

Hippie
January 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Why would you spend the time and $$ for just one size

5.13's work great for me and I love the super low crawl ratio, I think I'm around 100.1 :D

The 4:56's will not be low enough on the 37's IMO but it is also a DD so I don't want to go to far. Right now it has a great balance between street and trail so I want to keep it close to were it is now.

Jocko glad to hear about the support

newracer
January 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I am running and 4:1 with 4.56s with 36s and I think it is a pretty good balance for street and trail, FWIW. Sometimes I do wish I had 4.88s or even 5.13s but I cannot justify the cost of a gear swap since it works pretty good how it is.

Iceman_RNR
June 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
while you're at it, you might just as well throw the 2low kit in there for another 150 bucks :)
BTW: been running a Ter4low/2low set up for over 5 years with no issues.
4.0/AX15/4.56/35" MT/Rs

jtw2
June 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
well my teralow showed up today that I ordered from Sam's Offroad. doubt I'll get to it this week, maybe next week. we'll see how it works after that!

scottycards
July 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Did my first run with the Teralow this weekend. Works great. I see no drawback to the 3000 RPM limit, as there's plenty of gear with 4.88/35's to get me all the way up to a speed where I should be using 4HI anyway.

I found that I'm running in 3rd-4th now, instead of 1st-2nd, for most of the trail. A little bit of a gear whine, but nothing major.

1st is pretty sick. It's low enough that my concern will be for my D30 holding up to the torque.

newracer
July 16th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Doesn't the manual say to not use anything higher than 3rd? I might be mistaken.

jtw2
July 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
mine is in as well. only tried it out at CORE but it is stupid slow now in first gear. you can let the clutch out w/o having to touch the gas. calculator says I'm at 84.57:1

thinking I'll run Carnage this afternoon to try it out some more. So far I love it.

EEJEEP
July 16th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I see no drawback to the 3000 RPM limit, as there's plenty of gear with 4.88/35's to get me all the way up to a speed where I should be using 4HI anyway.

Snow-wheeling is my main reason. Engine bogs down too much in 4HI, but I need to get some speed in a short distance in 4LO. So RPMs are regular get up past 3k.

I ended up pulling the trigger for an atlas II anyway. I just like the idea that it will be the last case I will ever buy.

jtw2
July 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I was going to go Atlas but I didn't want to do it until I got a new engine/tranny in and that just isn't going to happen for a while and I still wanted the crawl ability.

Jeephead93
July 24th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I've had mine for about 3 1/2 years and have had zero problems with it. I too got the 2LO conv. and the heavy duty chain all together with the t-case. I have never heard of any problems though. I plan on going to 4:88's from 4:56's. Can't wait so I can throw some 35's on my 4banger XJ!!!:D

Wally
July 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I plan on going to 4:88's from 4:56's. Can't wait so I can throw some 35's on my 4banger XJ!!!:D

Not to hijack but come on steve, if you're going to spend the money to regear, get some waggy 44's under the thing and put some 5.38s' at the VERY minimum in there, or some 5.89's if you really want to notice a difference :thumbsup: Just ask littlegreenjeep, he has a 4cyl and finally decided to go with the waggys and deep gearing with 35" MT/R's and is LOVING LIFE...as for the 4:1 kit...yeah if you already have an SYE and aren't going to be beating on to hard, $800-$950 for the tera kit is a great way to pick up some low gearing :thumbsup: Just don't plan on running 37"+ tires and a healthy motor and expect it to last.

Jeephead93
July 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Well Wally, I don't plan on throwing some 600 hp motor in my XJ anytime soon.:tisk: The 4:88's aren't gonna cost me a dime, they are in a D44 and D30 that I'm gonna swap my current axles for and then sell my current axles. The time will come when the full size axles will be an option, just not right now.:D

Jeepster
September 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
After 3 or 4 trail rides:

I love my 4 to 1.

Big difference, even though my crawl number is only a measly 65. It was a lot lower.

jtw2
September 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM
ya, I've really been liking mine. I'm sitting right at 85 for a crawl number and I can really see the difference and so does my clutch!

Friscokidd
October 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Has any one seen a Tera 4-1 for a manual cherokee with the 4.0 L?? I have looked around and all i can find is the ones for an automatic??? Am i not looking in the right spots or just going dumb>?

Hippie
October 23rd, 2007, 08:41 AM
Has any one seen a Tera 4-1 for a manual cherokee with the 4.0 L?? I have looked around and all i can find is the ones for an automatic??? Am i not looking in the right spots or just going dumb>?

Rock Kittys is 4.0 L with manual 5 sp. Not sure but isn't the XJ same ??

Edit to add link: Call Teraflex (http://www.teraflex.biz/)

Friscokidd
October 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks Hippie, called the guys over at mile high jeep rebuilders and they got me straight. Now the "try to save up some mula" begins ;)

Jeepster
October 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM
It is worth every penny.
It will very quickly become one of your favorite mods.

jeepinkris
November 4th, 2007, 08:42 AM
had problems with the planet gears, tera replaced with just a little back and forth go-a-round with them. i would have to say a beat the hell out of mine with a dodge 5.2L and nv4500 in front of it (105 crawl ratio) for 7 yrs now. yep, keep rpms as low as poss. and well under 3k. those of you running 4.88`s , keep in mind that the torque is much greater and 1st gear is for crawl only, you will break the pinoin (very small) if you gas up too much in low.

Hippie
November 10th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Jeepinkris - I am impressed that it held up for 7 yrs :eek: behind that drive line :thumbsup: