PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to St.Mary's Glacer?

MATT - XJ
July 13th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I am just curious to see if anyone has been up to St.Mary's Glacer. I want to go up there to see how big this glacer is or if there is one at all.

CLYDE
July 13th, 2006, 09:33 PM
not for a few years, Umm if your thinking alaska type glacier, you will be disappointed, its more like a snowy hillside....

MATT - XJ
July 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
yeah thats what i thought it would be like, I just need a little space to set up a rail to snowboard on. How much area or space would be covered in snow would you guess? And is this road to get up there difficult at all?

CLYDE
July 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM
yeah thats what i thought it would be like, I just need a little space to set up a rail to snowboard on. How much area or space would be covered in snow would you guess? And is this road to get up there difficult at all?I dunno this year, but previous years there would be people hiking up to ski down it in the middle of summer,, dunno bout the road to the bottom,, I never actually went to the glacier itself,,usually just across the valley from it... not much help Im afraid..

nhlbill
July 14th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I think it has been officially downgraded and is no longer called a glacier. You don't see any maps calling it that anymore, or any street signs. I don't know anything about what classifies something as a glacier, but it has gotten significantly smaller in the last 20 years.

I know they used to allow skiing and snowboarding on it, but I don't know about anymore.

Sean Dogg
July 14th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Yeah they'll still let you ride on it. There's PLENTY of room to setup a rail and/or a booter up ther to session for a good amount of time. I've been up there in August and there's a good amount of snow. I'm pretty sure it's no longer considered a glacier, because I *think* the snow has to be like 100' deep, but either way it's covered year-round. Up towards the top is a little more flat, so that's where you'll do most of your freestyling. The snow there is more like a thin layer of slush covering a thick layer of ice, but at this time of year, beggars can't be choosers. It really is a fun place to go hike, camp, ride, and there's some wheeling around there as well (forget what the trail's name is, someone help me out?) Just don't leave your stuff in the bushes while you go jump in the cold-ass lake. ****ing thieves stole my good jibbing deck!

lemsip
July 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
They took down the signs from I70 because of traffic through the town of Alice. Apparently lots of tourists would drive up there thinking they'd be able to see a glacier from the road. At least thats what I remember froma news story a few years ago.

MATT - XJ
July 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM
thanks for the info guys now i want to up there and see for myself. Last time i drove up i 1-70 i remember seeing the sign for st.marys glacer, which road leads up to the glacer?

nhlbill
July 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM
thanks for the info guys now i want to up there and see for myself. Last time i drove up i 1-70 i remember seeing the sign for st.marys glacer, which road leads up to the glacer?
Fall River Road takes you to Alice and to the St Mary's area.

It's not the most challenging trail, but Forest rd 175 (I think) out of Central City just past the cemetary will take you on a scenic trail ride where you get to see some great views of the "Glacier" before dropping back down to Fall River Road.

Great trail to take along a friend in a relatively stock rig who might be just getting starting in trail rides.

oleblue
July 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Here is a link to the TOPO map starting at St. Mary's Glacier, you can start here and resize and move how you like to see where you are at.

clicky for map (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.8344&lon=-105.6429&s=24&size=m&symshow=n&datum=nad83)

jamie desoto
July 14th, 2006, 11:31 PM
i was up there about a month and a half ago on yankee hill rd. at the end of the trail you get a perfect view of it. there was alot of snow up there then but it was melted at the top. the steep section facing east had lots of snow still on it but it looks like suicide!

take the fall river rd exit off I70 to the town of alice. there is a trail that goes up to the galicer (if you wanna call it that)

i was up on loveland pass about a month ago also and its a good hike out to the snow field but there was still a good amount of snow on that. but this was about a month ago..