PDA

View Full Version : front 60 35spline external drive plate fab



jamescj7
June 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I have a front dodge dana 60 with DRW hubs that came with external bolt on lockout hubs. That was junk because they stuck out 3 feet or so. After i had the wheel mount surface machined down 2 winters ago so i could mount it in the correct place for my needs i had to do something about that big bolt on manual lockout. Since i was still running stock 30 spline stubs i found a set of dana 44 spider gears and had the gear part turned down so i was left with the splines on the inside and about 1/4 thick walls. Then i made some plates and welded it all up and bam had some external drive plates. Well I needed to upgrade the stubs to 35 spline for some more beef not that i ever had a problem with the 30 spline but just felt like it.


SOOO, I found a set of front dana 60 35 spline spider gears and had them turned down so i was again left with the splines on the inside and about 1/4 thick walls and 1.5ish tall. The next step was to make the plate and having access to a waterjet made this a snap. Wrote a program in the computer with the outside diameter of the plate about 4.75" then the inside diameter of the plate so the turned down spider gears would fit in. Then placed 8 3/8" holes on the proper diameter so it would bolt up to the hub. Then a couple of minutes later, out popped 2 plates from some plate that was just a touch under .5" thick. Water jets are SWEEET:D

here is a pick of the parts. That a quarter to show the size.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/JamesCJ/35splineparts.jpg

After i assembled the new 35 spline stubs and put it all back into the axle and put the hubs back on, i bolted the plates to the hub. Then slid the side gears on and set them so the stub shaft was just inside the edge of the gear. Then put a tack on each side so it wouldn't move. Then i burned them with my 220V Millermatic MIG welder.

here is a pick of the welded part. the one on the left is the inside of the part and didn't weld all the way around. The right side is the outside of the part and is welded all the way around.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/JamesCJ/35splineparts2.jpg

closeup of my weld
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/JamesCJ/35splineparts3.jpg

after i let them cool i bolted them up to the hub with some 3/8" grade 8 alen head bolts with some locktight and lock washers.

the finished product. I made it so the flange sticks out a bit farther than the stub to protect the splines. My old set of 30 spline plates let the stub show a bit and i always managed to ding up the splines making it a pia to get them off.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/JamesCJ/35splineparts4.jpg

cheepin
June 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Nice job!!Water jets are awesome.The only thing I would change is to weld a plate plate to cover the axles stub.The way it is now you will let water into the bearings.

jamescj7
June 28th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Nice job!!Water jets are awesome.The only thing I would change is to weld a plate plate to cover the axles stub.The way it is now you will let water into the bearings.

yeah i know water can get into the bearings but it's a rock crawler and doesn't touch water. The only water i've ever taken it through is the crossing on holy cross and that's it. I might weld a plate on there later but for now it's good.

Wally
June 29th, 2006, 07:43 AM
That looks GREAT james, NICE WORK :thumbsup:

Trango
June 30th, 2006, 11:24 AM
That's really hot, by the way. I love stuff like this.