PDA

View Full Version : Losers On Eagle Rock

dave m
June 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM
We went up the Eagle Rock trail on sunday and ran across three trucks that had gone several hundred feet across a marshy meadow. They had gotten two of the trucks completely stuck and totally destroying the vegetation in the process. My phone camera couldn't get the plate #'s of these a$$'s. One truck was a grey newer taco ext cab with a temp tag in the left rear window, the others were a black titan and a green dakota. I asked them WTf they were doing out there, had they ever heard of "tread lightly" ? They were all grins until I started chewing their a$$. As I took pictures, the taco putz said that if I was taking pictures that he should get some too. I'm pissed that I can't read the plate #'s, I so want these guys to get turned in. I have never seen anybody with no f#$%ing clue like this ever.:mad:

CJ5in'
June 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM
We went up the Eagle Rock trail on sunday and ran across three trucks that had gone several hundred feet across a marshy meadow. They had gotten two of the trucks completely stuck and totally destroying the vegetation in the process. My phone camera couldn't get the plate #'s of these a$$'s. One truck was a grey newer taco ext cab with a temp tag in the left rear window, the others were a black titan and a green dakota. I asked them WTf they were doing out there, had they ever heard of "tread lightly" ? They were all grins until I started chewing their a$$. As I took pictures, the taco putz said that if I was taking pictures that he should get some too. I'm pissed that I can't read the plate #'s, I so want these guys to get turned in. I have never seen anybody with no f#$%ing clue like this ever.:mad:

What a bunch of dic*s. Did you at least write down their plate numbers?
:beer: for telling them what they did was wrong.

Wild Hare
June 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM
seems to me you were there, you spoke to them, you have their descriptions, why didn't you turn them in? what do you want us to do. we weren't there.

Ford Prefect
June 19th, 2006, 10:10 PM
seems to me you were there, you spoke to them, you have their descriptions, why didn't you turn them in? what do you want us to do. we weren't there.

Geez,

I should think it was fairly obvious what he wants

He wants someone who might KNOW THESE PEOPLE (duh) To tell him who they are so that he may turn them in...:idea:

Wild Hare
June 19th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Geez,

I should think it was fairly obvious what he wants

He wants someone who might KNOW THESE PEOPLE (duh) To tell him who they are so that he may turn them in...:idea:
ya know, if someone really wants to do something about asshats like this, stop wheelin', turn around on the trail, head to town or the nearest cell phone reception area and call the freekin forest service while the asshats are still off trail and tearing things up. with out plate #'s its difficult to prosecute. unless the dipsh!ts post pictures of what they did thinking its funny, not much can be done now.:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

springsman
June 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM
My wife, son, and I saw them too....I've been telling people about it all week how the idiot sunk up to his front bumper....I thought it was perfect irony that the marsh was getting him back for all the F'ing donuts he'd been cutting out there...he had more tire tracks in the marsh than you would believe and the sad thing is they won't all repair themselves. Kickin' my own A$$ two days now for not doing anything either....

GPP33
June 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe this is just ignorance but who the hell are you supposed to call when the forest service office is closed? I don?t think 911 would want to hear about it. How about *CSP?

YJgirl
June 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
On a weekend - call 911. Any realted activity that involves a 911 call within the forest service jurisdiction also triggers the alert system within the chain of command in the FS. The FS Law Enforecement officer will get the call and is obligated to go to the scene to clear it or call for back up.

18to80DDC
June 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks, I was also wondering who to contact on the weekends.

Colin
June 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM
One of the reasons I have started bringing my good camera with my on the trails. I don't use it for trail pics but if the needs arise the telescopic lens will come in handy for taking pics of asshats like these.

Rando
June 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM
On a weekend - call 911. Any realted activity that involves a 911 call within the forest service jurisdiction also triggers the alert system within the chain of command in the FS. The FS Law Enforecement officer will get the call and is obligated to go to the scene to clear it or call for back up.

thats good to know. i had no clue to call 911. do you think they would actually show up and give out tickets? or is it wishfull thinking?

ToyRunner1
June 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
The only time I've ever had to call them they met the "needy individuals" at the trail head. This was in Teller County. I've also personally taken FS Federal Marshals on trails since they don't have rigs capable of many of the trails we run.

Warrlord
June 21st, 2006, 07:28 AM
I have never seen anybody with no f#$%ing clue like this ever.:mad:

I have....................... in that same marshy area where there are signs stating "Protect the wetlands" & "Stay on designated roads". They were all stuck in the muck & couldn't move.

There were four vehicles
Tahoe
Wrangler
Dakota
Durango

I got the vehicle info and on my way out of there, I found FS Ranger ticketing 2 atv's for driving off the designated trails. I gave him the location & info. He thanked me & radioed 2 more officers to meet him there. I don't know the outcome as I went home but I hope they got their asses handed to them.

They were pissed at me because I wouldn't bring my truck down there & try to yank 'em out.

Yes..............I was a Taddletail :D

Jers79CJ
June 21st, 2006, 07:35 AM
Bravo Warrlord! I hope they were still there.

Br0nc0
June 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM
Are we talking about that area that's technically on the road to Mt Herman? (If you ran Eagle Rock, you would see it on the way out) If it's the area I'm thinking of, there's a mud pit right next to a marshy area that's clearly marked off as off limits. I asked a forest service ranger about the mud pit last year, and he told the mud pit was legal, as long as you went through it lengthwise, and stayed off the area to the East of it. Has that changed? I'm all for setting people straight, but I want to make sure I've got the latest info. Any ideas? Am I even talking about the same area?

Warrlord
June 21st, 2006, 08:53 AM
Bravo Warrlord! I hope they were still there.

I'd bet they were still there, they were all stuck hard & couldn't move......buried up the frames.

It was the huge marshy flat area that's clearly marked by more than one sign on the way out. This happened 3 years ago..........I hope they learned their lesson by getting fined big time up the ol wazoo.

Jers79CJ
June 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Are we talking about that area that's technically on the road to Mt Herman? (If you ran Eagle Rock, you would see it on the way out) If it's the area I'm thinking of, there's a mud pit right next to a marshy area that's clearly marked off as off limits. I asked a forest service ranger about the mud pit last year, and he told the mud pit was legal, as long as you went through it lengthwise, and stayed off the area to the East of it. Has that changed? I'm all for setting people straight, but I want to make sure I've got the latest info. Any ideas? Am I even talking about the same area?

Mt Herman road is by Rampart Range RD this is off of Gold Camp. I think you have the areas confused. Unless you are talking about Mt Baldy that is where Eagle Rock exits.

Jason
June 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
have you tried to enhance the pics on your phone on a computer program/

Colin
June 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM
have you tried to enhance the pics on your phone on a computer program/

If only we had the programs the cops on tv have. They can turn 10x20 pixel picture into a clear, perfect clarity poster in the click of a mouse!

It may be worth a shot tho.:shrug:

Br0nc0
June 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Mt Herman road is by Rampart Range RD this is off of Gold Camp. I think you have the areas confused. Unless you are talking about Mt Baldy that is where Eagle Rock exits.

Right, my mistake - I meant Mt Baldy.

YJgirl
June 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM
thats good to know. i had no clue to call 911. do you think they would actually show up and give out tickets? or is it wishfull thinking?
they will show, but keep in mind, it may take a while. don't expect a 911 call to result in sirens blaring if you find someone stuck in a marsh where they shouldn't be, is what I'm saying.
And remember to use this cautiously because it could be detremental to keeping trails open = if the trail is closed, then no more calls (think like a law enforcement officer).

Mojo_Risin
June 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM
One truck was a grey newer taco ext cab with a temp tag in the left rear window

This says a lot aswell - ooohhh I got my new 4x4, lets act like the commercial and tear across the unspoiled terrain at 50 mph. All 4x4's and SUV's should come with a big sticker stuck to the dashboard with a few basic "rules" of off highway driving / tread lightly. I think some people truely have never heard of tread lightly nor do they know that you can't just drive anywhere just because your rig can. This has to be taught, and the average person really isn't exposed to the "rules" of offroading unless they actively seek it out.

john

Wild Hare
June 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
they will show, but keep in mind, it may take a while. don't expect a 911 call to result in sirens blaring if you find someone stuck in a marsh where they shouldn't be, is what I'm saying.
And remember to use this cautiously because it could be detremental to keeping trails open = if the trail is closed, then no more calls (think like a law enforcement officer).

YJ Girl, wouldn't you think that if the general 4x4 community was so proactive in reporting the off trail violations and the FS had a guilty party to charge and recoup damages from that it would look better for us in general than just getting the general finger pointed at us as a whole?
If the responsible wheelers are actively watching everyone out there, taking pictures and reporting illegal activity then perhaps the word will get out to the asshats that are tearing things up and we can get a handle on this issue?:cool:

Rk Crlr
June 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately the anti-recreationists will use our own work against us. Even this thread.

It's too bad because we are scewed if we try to enforce the laws and screwed if we don't.

Big Dave
June 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM
This says a lot aswell - ooohhh I got my new 4x4, lets act like the commercial and tear across the unspoiled terrain at 50 mph. All 4x4's and SUV's should come with a big sticker stuck to the dashboard with a few basic "rules" of off highway driving / tread lightly. I think some people truely have never heard of tread lightly nor do they know that you can't just drive anywhere just because your rig can. This has to be taught, and the average person really isn't exposed to the "rules" of offroading unless they actively seek it out.

john

Well said. Education is the only thing that will ever change any of this. There will still be people who just say fawk it and do it anyways, but a good portion of the people who do this kind of stuff simply don't know any better!

YJgirl
June 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Wild Hare - What Dave and Rk Crlr said is pretty accurate. One would think that yes, we would be doing ourselves a favor, but it can be used against us as well. It's a Catch 22. That is why the Colorado Trail Patrol (CTP) has partnered with the FS and BLM to monitor and mitigate further damage on trails.

Red_Chili
June 23rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately the anti-recreationists will use our own work against us. Even this thread.

It's too bad because we are scewed if we try to enforce the laws and screwed if we don't.
That has not been my experience. Posting blatant violations with "Ooooo, that's so coooool!", yes, absolutely.

Posting violators and taking enforcement seriously to keep damage from continuing, by all means do it. We're building a culture here- that's what it's gonna take.

Wild Hare
June 23rd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Wild Hare - What Dave and Rk Crlr said is pretty accurate. One would think that yes, we would be doing ourselves a favor, but it can be used against us as well. It's a Catch 22. That is why the Colorado Trail Patrol (CTP) has partnered with the FS and BLM to monitor and mitigate further damage on trails.

I would be willing to bet since the FS is so understaffed, under budgeted, that if the responsible wheeling organizations were to actively report every violation to them in order to assist the wrong doers are being prosecuted that the FS would be more apt to keep our trails open. I don't really think the once a year trail clean up deals really go that far in their eyes as much as if we(the ones out on the trails) report violators and get something done would.
As I see it right now, violations/damage is happening.
When FS sees this damage they point at the 4x4 community as a whole.
Enough damage, and trail gets closed down.

We(wheelers) see damage being done and we,
1) just bitch about it and become part of the problem or
2) report it immediately, asshats get caught, they pay fines, they learn the hard-way about tread lightly, and FS is happy because we are self policing ourselves to be part of the solution.:shrug: