PDA

View Full Version : Red Cone 6-17 -CLOSED-

Rk Crlr
June 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Red Cone is closed. Gated off at the split with Webster.
I was looking forward to going up the big hill but you can't. A couple motorcycles were up on top (I drove wheeler to the shelf road). Not sure if they got around the gate or if they came through the far side (Montizuma).

Webster is still very impassable. With alot of effort you could possibly get to the top of the shelf road where it meets Red Cone, but no one is getting thru it. It is VERY deep there (as well as a long way down!)

Not sure how the others got up there. A gate is up now. The old white sign stating the trail opens July 1st is gone (I haven't been to there for 2 years).

On the good side, my baby had a good first trail ride. We made a snowman up in the bowl below the shelf road. :D

RJsfun
June 17th, 2006, 10:05 PM
WOW!!! I never knew you could get from Wheeler to Red Cone. That must be some serious off the trail action!!! Are you talking about "Webster"?

Jeepster
June 17th, 2006, 10:39 PM
This gate?
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/cewtwo/CRW_3116.jpg
What a drag..
It was open 2 weeks ago, I went to timberline myself(before the snow turned me back). It was open last week, there are pics on this web site showing it.:shrug:
Here is a pic of Webster...well anyhow, it is under the snow somewhere.(that drift is 50 feet deep and 250 feet across, this pic was taken today...)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/cewtwo/CRW_3125.jpg

Rk Crlr
June 18th, 2006, 01:09 AM
WOW!!! I never knew you could get from Wheeler to Red Cone. That must be some serious off the trail action!!! Are you talking about "Webster"?

Well you could... but I edited my post and now you can't! :P

That's what I get for reading the Wheeler report before making mine

Cruzin Illusion
June 18th, 2006, 01:14 AM
We ran it last weekend and made it to the top with no problems. I am wondering if they closed it to make sure no one went down the hill so they had to drive back up? It was very clear to the top except one spot and that was pretty easy to get through.

Rk Crlr
June 18th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Guess so. That pic is of the gate. No way for a 4x4 to get around it without destroying the fence or gate. MC could get under it I suppose.
I know it used to be open July 1st, but after the trip report where you guys made it, I figured I'd go try it.
Fortunately the weather was nice and we got a nice little ride. We went over Guanella (SP) and ate in Idaho Springs at Beau Joes after running Webster.

BTW anyone know what the hermit who lived on the Webster trail was mining? He's is gone now and his big shack is abandoned. He was basically living on top of a mine and has been there for as long as I remember running the trail (although I only saw him once or twice).