PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Lake 6-17-06.....or

Frank Z
June 17th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Better known as The Parking Lot...at least today it was.

Just outside of Alma we (me, my wife and kids) noticed a few tow rigs/trailers and buggies....

We got to Montgomery Reservoir and saw quite a few rigs and at least a hand full of tow rigs and trailers.....

I asked one of the folks if they were with a group or club and was told that they were with the Christioan Four Wheelers out of Co Spgs., they had about 7 or 8 rigs heading up the trail....okay that's not too bad I guess.

We stopped at the old mill and took a couple of pics of the kids by the waterfall and then procede up the trail. The first obstacle (Lower V-notch)was already clear of rigs...good for us!!

The next (Upper V-notch) was a parking lot. Lots of rigs trying one side or the other.....no sweat, we waited for our turn and climbed the notch without any problems. Right behind my rig there were an other half dozen or so rigs and it just got more crowded from there. A little farther up the trail I was told that there was a few groups (Buggie, and a group of 3-4 Hummers) already ahead of the group I was behind. We passed the Hummers as they were heading back down the trail.

We got up to the snow field about 3/4 of the way to the lake and traffic just stopped....lunch break!! Ya gotta eat somewhere right? Found out that a group of buggies had made it across the first pattch of snow, which was about 150-200 yards long, and were trying to bash through the next patch of snow. We could here 'em but we couldn't see em.

The group ahead of me made room for me to sneak through and I made a rather weak attempt at getting through the snow like the big boys did. I made it about 30 feet before burying all four wheels....I sank frame deep in the slushy mess and had to be winched out backwards. Hey at least I tried!!:flipoff2:

We did stick around long enough to see 2 more buggies make it across and watched the second one flop at the end of the snow field. No injuries that I'm aware of.

Turned around and went home with my tail between my legs.

I wish I could tell you all that the trail was open to the top, but I couldn't get there with 4.5" of lift and 33's.

BTW, to the ....Ahem.... Lady that was walking/hiking the trail with the Pit Bull. I'll thank you to stay away from my kids with that dog and keep your comments to yourself. My ten year old girl doesn't need to be told that your dog will tear her to pieces, even if it was in jest. If I'd heard it from your pie hole I'd have shot that dog without a second thought.:mad:

kPs
June 17th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I don't even need pics after that report Frank! Nice :)

van7559
June 17th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Pics! pics!

Frank Z
June 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
No pics this time out...but my daughter did run amuck with the video camera again. I'll get a few posted in a day or two.

virden
June 17th, 2006, 10:41 PM
got to see the vid at the M&G nice video and i love the comintary lol:)

Frank Z
June 18th, 2006, 08:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFQuoesumc

Frank Z
June 18th, 2006, 09:01 AM
No pics this time out...
Okay...I lied. I did take a couple and this is the best one. Sorry aout the size. I did shrink it down a tad. I zoomed in with my camera as much as possible so the pic doesn't give a really good perspective of just how much snow there is.

http://i6.tinypic.com/14tmv4j.jpg

Ford Prefect
June 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM
AWESOME

THAT VIDEO ROCKED!!!

Cheers

van7559
June 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
sick video

sonofmayhem
June 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM
"Mom MOVE!" that video is awesome and that pic....

formatt
June 18th, 2006, 10:28 AM
good stuff, frank. :)

Alpine Spirit
June 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Nice!!

Dallas Lemon
June 18th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Holy Cow, Frank. Was that part of the Rock Race? I get a kick out of your daughter's comments!

Frank Z
June 18th, 2006, 10:14 PM
She has a blast behind the camera. Everytime I mention going wheeling or camping she asks if we're taking the camcorder.

Caged
June 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM
We did make it up Wheeler to the lake. There were a group of 4 of us running 37-40 inch tires - all with 60's front and rear. We all needed to winch once, as there was a large wall of snow coming out of the stream. No pics - as I forgot camera, cell, and wallet at home. Forgetting the wallet worked out well at the Alma bar for burgers and drinks. The top portion (bowling ball hill) is clear of snow. The last 100 yards to the lake still has a couple feet of snow.

82'CJ7
June 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Love the video!! to cute!

ChrisStorms
June 20th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Haha, I love how the only picture is Eric on his side lol.

Gatoroc
June 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
I don't want Eric to be lonely... here's one of the Poison Spyder rig on it's side!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/GATOROC/DSC03934.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/GATOROC/DSC03908.jpg