PDA

View Full Version : May 26th Storm Mountain

hattrik21
June 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Not a tough trail by any means but the sites were pretty good. Here are a few pics if ya'll want to check them out.

Storm Mountain (http://www.swxc.org/gallery/gallery/Colorado-2006)

http://www.swxc.org/albums/Colorado-2006/DSCN3053.sized.jpg

OffroadGirl
June 8th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Looks good! I like what you've done with the Gallery, too. Nice job.

Waifer2112
June 9th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I think you may have gone on a closed section of the trail. I was up there 2 weekends ago, and at the top of storm, there is a short section (about 150 ft.) that is the "hardest" part of the trail. It's like there's the top of storm, with the fantastic views, then there is the "top", with no views. When I went up, it looked like they tried to block this with a rock on one side, and a dead tree at the other. If it was supposed to be blocked off, it was a pale atttempt. :mad: I didn't go up it, even though it's the only spot on the trail with any difficulty, for fear of going off trail.

hattrik21
June 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I think you may have gone on a closed section of the trail. I was up there 2 weekends ago, and at the top of storm, there is a short section (about 150 ft.) that is the "hardest" part of the trail. It's like there's the top of storm, with the fantastic views, then there is the "top", with no views. When I went up, it looked like they tried to block this with a rock on one side, and a dead tree at the other. If it was supposed to be blocked off, it was a pale atttempt. :mad: I didn't go up it, even though it's the only spot on the trail with any difficulty, for fear of going off trail.

I hope not. The last part I went up and got to the top I could go straight which looked like trail but it was a dead end or turn to the right and circle back down which I thought was good as it got me turned around without having to drive off the trail.

Waifer2112
June 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, that's the spot I think they tried to close. But again, it was a poor attempt at closing it, if that's what they tried to do.

Mark
June 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
http://www.swxc.org/albums/Colorado-2006/DSCN3108.sized.jpg

If this is the area in question, I have not heard of it being closed by the Forest Service.

It doesn't really go anywhere (just loops around) though, so it's not a huge loss. There is still plenty of turn-around area at the parking area at the top...

Very nice pics btw, Hattrik. :thumbsup:

Waifer2112
June 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM
That's it. When I went up, a large rock had been moved (I don't think it could have rolled there, but :shrug: )to the middle of the trail on one side, and a 30 ft. dead tree had been moved to the middle of the trail on the other. Like you said, no big loss as it goes nowhere, but it still offered the best difficulty of the trail.

Lars915
June 17th, 2006, 07:28 AM
That section was never open until about three years ago. It is not part of the road and is defnitely off-trail.