PDA

View Full Version : flopped on indy 06.03.06 [pics]

fatwreck
June 3rd, 2006, 07:19 PM
Chris and I headed down on friday night and camped out. We didn't see any fire bans on the way there, but the fire rings that are normally there were nowhere to be seen. :shrug: So, we took that as a sign and opted not to have a fire. We just hung out, listened to music, and watched all the satellites go by.....had a couple beers and went to sleep early.

We took the doors off of Chris' rig first thing in the morning and dropped into the trail. I told Chris I didn't plan on getting out to shoot pictures unless he got stuck or rolled it. We did get stuck a time or two, but for our first lap....we just had fun and didn't worry about it. His rig walked pretty much all of the obstacles. The drops went fine, the entrance to patriot took us a little while, he walked the a-hole.....there was a bunch of mud right at coffin rock.....so, we ended up winching up that after a few failed attempts. And he winched out the exit as he started to get too far to the right and it was looking sketchy.

As we popped out of the trail after only an hour of wheeling....we heard another crew dropping in. So, we decided to go drop in after them and see how they were doing. I figured it would be Janky and whoever else he had with him (based on his staging area post)....and it was. They were all doing great as they hit the drops. Then Chris came up and instead of me spotting him....I was taking pictures. He got a little off of his line (too far to the passenger side) and wham!

http://www.projectxj.com/images/trail.runs/06.03.06-indy/images/IMG_7809.jpg

He fell over right in that hole....and pretty hard too. Fortunately, he was ok.....and Janky's crew was still there. It was super cool of them to offer to flop him back over. They had their rigs turned around and Chris back on his tires in no time. So, thanks a bunch guys! :beer:

http://www.projectxj.com/images/trail.runs/06.03.06-indy/images/IMG_7810.jpg

http://www.projectxj.com/images/trail.runs/06.03.06-indy/images/IMG_7812.jpg

http://www.projectxj.com/images/trail.runs/06.03.06-indy/images/IMG_7814.jpg

http://www.projectxj.com/images/trail.runs/06.03.06-indy/images/IMG_7815.jpg

We figured after being over that far it would be a pretty good idea to blow the oil out of the cylinders before we fired it up. Chris pulled the plugs while I cleaned up the mess as best as I could. I stood back to watch him turn it over, but apparently I didn't stand back far enough. :eek:

http://www.projectxj.com/images/trail.runs/06.03.06-indy/images/IMG_7817.jpg

I was COVERED in oil. Damn, that sucked.....I guess I'll stand back a little farther next time. :rolleyes:

We got it down to the bottom....turned it around....and headed back up the drops. We thought that would be the fastest way out....and it went pretty smooth. All in all we had a good time:

http://www.projectxj.com/images/trail.runs/06.03.06-indy/images/IMG_7819.jpg

We tried to make it to the rock race afterwards, but some bad mapquest directions took us the wrong way and we were too late. So, we opted to stop at Red Robin for burgers and beers instead. :beer:

trailbuilt
June 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Nice, Looks Like fun, cant wait to go back to Indy...

Wally
June 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Sounds about like my day on 21 road today :flipoff2:

formatt
June 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
http://www.projectxj.com/images/trail.runs/06.03.06-indy/images/IMG_7817.jpg

Sorry Brian but I can't quit laughing... :)

The funniest part is that instead of wiping yourself off, you waited until Chris (or whoever) grabbed a picture.

thekiffer
June 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Wow, that sucks but at least it doesn't look like that big of deal....

dave m
June 3rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
I stay way, way right on that one. The first time in there I went left and it felt really bad and just a little slip of the tires and your @#$%@*!

fatwreck
June 4th, 2006, 08:56 AM
The funniest part is that instead of wiping yourself off, you waited until Chris (or whoever) grabbed a picture.

Yeah, I figured if you're gonna look pretty stupid like that....then you might was well wait an extra 30 seconds while someone documents it.

fatwreck
June 4th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Kiff, it sucked that you couldn't make it....despite many attempts. I was looking forward to seeing your rig in action.

I stay way, way right on that one. The first time in there I went left and it felt really bad and just a little slip of the tires and your @#$%@*!

He did stay right....in fact, he was too far right. His passenger tire went up on one of those rocks instead of sneaking along side of it. And I was taking pictures instead of watching what he was doing. I thought he was on the same line we had about an hour earlier....where we made it just fine. :shrug:

formatt
June 4th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I figured if you're gonna look pretty stupid like that....then you might was well wait an extra 30 seconds while someone documents it.

definitely agree... not sure how chris kept it together enough to hold the camera steady.

dave m
June 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Kiff, it sucked that you couldn't make it....despite many attempts. I was looking forward to seeing your rig in action.

He did stay right....in fact, he was too far right. His passenger tire went up on one of those rocks instead of sneaking along side of it. And I was taking pictures instead of watching what he was doing. I thought he was on the same line we had about an hour earlier....where we made it just fine. :shrug:

Ya that's too far right! that sucks
looks like a wider track than a tj also? that doesn't help there.

Janky
June 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM
It was great seeing fatwreck and his buddy down there. The flop wasn't any big deal, and we were glad to help.

We didnt see those guys for most of the day after that, my brother broke his front axle u-joint and shaft, when he was bound in at the a-hole. I was moving my truck and trailer toward the end of patriot, because all of my tools were in there, when I ran into those guys again. Since the TJ has a 44 in the front, and I had noticed the toy they were driving had a 44 also, I asked if they had a u-joint. (at the time I didnt know that the shaft was hosed) The guys that owned the toy, jumped out and gave me the u-joint without a second thought. He also asked if the shaft was messed up, and handed me his backup shaft. That is the kind of person I like to see in the "wheeling comunity".

Fatwreck, could you please email me your buddies' phone number/email so I can get these parts back to him, and buy him some beer/lunch.

Note: I have given people parts/hi-lift before in Moab, and they never returned them.

fatwreck
June 5th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I PM'd you his number. :thumbsup:

Action Jackson
June 6th, 2006, 01:09 AM
The guys that owned the toy, jumped out and gave me the u-joint without a second thought. He also asked if the shaft was messed up, and handed me his backup shaft. That is the kind of person I like to see in the "wheeling comunity".

That's Chris for ya. One of my best wheeling buddies for sure! Keep it up Chris. You got one heck of a crawler there. Can't wait to join you for some Indy fun!! :D

Wally
June 6th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Kiff, it sucked that you couldn't make it.... I was looking forward to seeing your rig in action.

Yeah x2 i want to FINALLY see some pics of that thing on the trail :flipoff2:

Once again chris....nice work buddy :thumbsup: i'm supprised you and brian couldn't just push your rig back over....it seems so increadibly light :lmao:

CharkTaco
June 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
It was great seeing fatwreck and his buddy down there. The flop wasn't any big deal, and we were glad to help.

We didnt see those guys for most of the day after that, my brother broke his front axle u-joint and shaft, when he was bound in at the a-hole. I was moving my truck and trailer toward the end of patriot, because all of my tools were in there, when I ran into those guys again. Since the TJ has a 44 in the front, and I had noticed the toy they were driving had a 44 also, I asked if they had a u-joint. (at the time I didnt know that the shaft was hosed) The guys that owned the toy, jumped out and gave me the u-joint without a second thought. He also asked if the shaft was messed up, and handed me his backup shaft. That is the kind of person I like to see in the "wheeling comunity".

Fatwreck, could you please email me your buddies' phone number/email so I can get these parts back to him, and buy him some beer/lunch.

Note: I have given people parts/hi-lift before in Moab, and they never returned them. Yanky, thanks again to you and your crew for the tug back over! It certainly would have been a bit more of a task withought your crew and/or Wallys guns to help out :D
I was a little hesitant running the trail solo [only the 3rd time I had been there all in all] though. after the fairly clean run the first round and the rumble of some engines in the distance dropping in the entrance once we hit the exit... had to investigate and drop back in again :beer:

We were more than happy to return the favor