PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Gone Bad!!

crawlinyj
May 31st, 2006, 12:11 PM
We camped out at the base of Carnage Canyon this weekend in Buena Vista. After a good day of wheelin on Saturday, and rafting on Sunday, we were pretty tired. Not to mention the wind was kicking our a$$:flipoff: , so we all decided to pack up and leave Sunday night. My friend left about 5 mins before we did, towing his Wrangler with his Grand Cherokee.:shrug: We had just turned onto highway 24 when we saw a bunch of lights stopped in the middle of the road. My brother and I both had a gut feelin it was my friend. My brother was towing my Jeep with his Duramax, so we caught up to our friends pretty quick, probably only a minute or two after the accident. This is why I friggin hate flat towing...

Everyone had their seatbelts on, and even the two dogs came out just fine. The Grand is fixable, but the Wrangler is toast! But now he has a buggy project!! By the way, my friend learned his lesson, so go flame someone else.:cool:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/crawlinyj90/Wheelin%20Trips/Picture272.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/crawlinyj90/Wheelin%20Trips/Picture267.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/crawlinyj90/Wheelin%20Trips/Picture274.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/crawlinyj90/Wheelin%20Trips/Picture278.jpg

Jefe
May 31st, 2006, 12:19 PM
SHIT!! Glad to hear everyone is ok (including the dogs!!)

Fit4Wheelin
May 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Thats too bad! Glad everyone came out okay!

ATV4x4
May 31st, 2006, 12:21 PM
Damn man! That is not a good way to end the weekend.

What was the cause of the wreck? Did someone pull out in front of him?

Fit4Wheelin
May 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
So what happened? Did he just lose control?

Snotty
May 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM
Yeah, wtf happened? not to flame, but I flat tow and have never had any issues. Was it the wind that grabbed it and pulled it around? I don't think flat towing or trailer towing would have made a differnce then. My parents had a 24' camping trailer jack knife on them due to wind and short wheel base tow rig.

Glad everyone is okay!

ThePagan
May 31st, 2006, 12:35 PM
Sucks dude.. glad everyone and the dogs are okay. Sheet metal can be fixed.

- Shawn

82'CJ7
May 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM
Glad everyone wasn't hurt!! Sorry to hear this!

team D.A.T.A.
May 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM
So relieved to hear everyone including the dogs were fine. A bit shaken up I presume. What caused it?

J Kimmel
May 31st, 2006, 01:31 PM
that should be an example to all who say "I'll take it easy and be fine" with an under-equipped tow vehicle:)

glad everyone is ok.

Big Dave
May 31st, 2006, 01:41 PM
that should be an example to all who say "I'll take it easy and be fine" with an under-equipped tow vehicle:)

glad everyone is ok.

x2

A ZJ/WJ is an under-equipped vehicle to tow another rig. It can pull it just fine, and can stop okay most of the time, but they're just too small and light to be safe tow rigs. The coil rear doesn't help things either.

Glad everyone was okay though!

Steve
May 31st, 2006, 01:58 PM
By the way, my friend learned his lesson, so go flame someone else.:cool:
Why would you expect to get flamed? What lesson was learned? :confused:

Oscar
May 31st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Sure glad evryone was ok. I hope that stuff doesn't happen with the motorhome.

creation
May 31st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Sucks! But not everyone can say they rolled 2 jeeps at once.

ArloGuthroJeep
May 31st, 2006, 04:19 PM

glad everyone is ok.
:shrug: I think GC's tow just fine but I bet the wind is what caught the tow vehicle and started some swaying...Slower speeds would have helped (as would a heavier tow vehicle).

So perhaps the lesson here is to build up the WJ and just offroad it:flipoff2:

Big Dave
May 31st, 2006, 04:22 PM
:shrug: I think GC's tow just fine but I bet the wind is what caught the tow vehicle and started some swaying...Slower speeds would have helped (as would a heavier tow vehicle).

So perhaps the lesson here is to build up the WJ and just offroad it:flipoff2:

Having ridden in a ZJ towing another ZJ on a 16ft trailer I would have to say I disagree with the statment of GC's towing just fine.

crawlinyj
May 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM
His tow bar broke. He said he felt it and heard it. It whipped him back and forth a couple of times, and finally pulled him off the road.

I think he should build 2 buggies...:D what do you guys think!

MJM
May 31st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Who manufactured the tow bar and how old was it?

isotel
May 31st, 2006, 04:56 PM
While Towing a boat down to Pueblo in a WJ, (Brand new Faricy Demo) we almost Died, we got the wobbles, and it just keept getting worse as the driver applied the brakes, Luckily he decided to let off and somehow it went away.. My life flashed before my eyes. this iwas a Nice Trailer, no flat towing or anything..

Wheelbase is too dam short on them!

dave m
May 31st, 2006, 05:32 PM
Most people don't know the requirements of the towing vehicle. My grand cherokee requires higher rear tire pressure, all grands and most other tow vehicles require trailer brakes over 2000 lbs. and class 3 or 4 requires a load equalizing hitch on grands. I have towed a 24' enclosed for years with this vehicle and it is very predictable. Now without the load leveling hitch, it will sway alot, the braking ability totally sucks,the gas mileage is worse, and the handling is terrible. That one piece of equipment is worth it's weight in gold, and it is REQUIRED proper equip. for rated towing capacity.

ArloGuthroJeep
May 31st, 2006, 06:09 PM
Having ridden in a ZJ towing another ZJ on a 16ft trailer I would have to say I disagree with the statment of GC's towing just fine.
Thats a pretty hefty load right there so I don't disagree with you there at all...I bet flat towing a YJ is 2000lbs lighter then that setup though.

I used to tow a 4200lbs sailboat with my old ZJ and never ran into anything hairy:cool:

cowboy_tech
May 31st, 2006, 09:44 PM
What would be the recommended weight/length of a tow vehicle for flat towing or 16' trailer. Good time to teach others (like me) with this lesson.

MJs4ever
May 31st, 2006, 09:48 PM
Dodged the bullet again. Good for you! Take care, and give thanks that you are able to reflect upon the experience. What doesn't kill you - only makes you stronger.

slowrunner
May 31st, 2006, 09:57 PM
Sucks! But not everyone can say they rolled 2 jeeps at once.

That's true, I can say he now holds the record for our group! Glad he's still with us though

Rockiholic
June 1st, 2006, 01:52 AM
Dude, if someone even considered flamming after a wreck like that there would be serious problems. Espically considering it would only be a matter of time before one of us ran into them. Flamming can be fun, but not in such situations. Glad to hear everyone was ok. I want a fatty tow rig for this exact reason. RIP YJ

dave m
June 1st, 2006, 07:42 AM
Thats a pretty hefty load right there so I don't disagree with you there at all...I bet flat towing a YJ is 2000lbs lighter then that setup though.

I used to tow a 4200lbs sailboat with my old ZJ and never ran into anything hairy:cool:

It will be lighter, but also no additional braking ability, which is not recommended.

ATV4x4
June 1st, 2006, 09:34 AM
What would be the recommended weight/length of a tow vehicle for flat towing or 16' trailer. Good time to teach others (like me) with this lesson.

I pull a 20' trailer with a 6500 pound bobcat 773 skidsteer with my F-150 supercrew no problems :cool: ...I just don't go down the interstate at 75 with it. :tisk:

--Justin

Dave McDonald
June 1st, 2006, 10:13 AM

glad everyone is ok.

I flat tow the TJ with the ZJ quite a bit. Never had problems, performed some emergency manuvers... Everything was great. Not everyone has the luxury of buying a monster diesel tow rig. Just make sure you use what you've got safely.

GM4X4LOVER
June 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM
I pull a 5500 lb k5 on a 2900lb 20' trailer with a lifted burb. I once had a problem like that (not enough tounge weight) but the best way to tow is with proper amount of tow vehicle weight, proper amount tounge weight, and trailer brakes. I am glad to see that every was okay and things like this happen to everbody like this at least once in a lifetime. Flat towing is a safe method of travel as long as you don't go to fast of the vehicle in tow isn't over half the weight of the vehicle towing. I think that any vehicle would make a fine tow vehicle depending upon what they were towing.

I will leave my soft top at half mast to morn your loss................

Janky
June 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM
This is why I friggin hate flat towing...

I also lost my Jeep in a flat towing accident. I could agree more, fawk flat towing. I got myself a power stroke and a trailer now. I am sorry your buddy went through that. Glad everyone is OK.

bik
June 1st, 2006, 12:44 PM
Wow. I am glad everyone is ok.

Banjer
June 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
I just saw a beat-up Corolla flat-towing a Tercel up Santa Fe! :eek:

Glad everyone's alright! :cool:

Eric

crawlinyj
June 2nd, 2006, 01:05 PM
I just saw a beat-up Corolla flat-towing a Tercel up Santa Fe! :eek:

That's hot!!!:D

lordsokol
June 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I am so incredibly glad my wife was not hurt. (not to mention my two dogs who are like children to us) The guilt would've killed me. I have some torn muscles in my back but am fine. We were both wearing seatbelts.

The tow bar failed, and that's what caused the accident. I believe several factors contributed. I didn't push it over 50 mph. That's the speed we were going when it happend. The safety latch that locks the ball down broke, possibly from vibrations. That's what caused the vehicle to come loose. I felt it go as I heard a loud "chunk". I knew not to hit the breaks, so I just let off the gas and tried to go with it. The yj swerved left hard, then the backup tow strap pulled it hard right, into us. That's when we went off the road. I kept off the breaks and actually gased it a little to try and pull out of it. It was just too much force and 50 mph was too fast for that type of recovery. When it was finally done, we ended up tipping over into a ditch (after the yj rolled a few times on its own).

The yj was welded in the rear (diff). And I know that made it tougher on the flat tow. Also, the angle from the bumper of the Grand to the bumper of the yj was too steep. I believe towing capacity was within its limits, for engine size, and weight load, but I can attest that I will never flat tow anything again. Even if it is safe, I am just too traumatized. It's time to make my yj a buggy and buy a tow rig.

By the way the tow bar was an old modified piece of farm equipment that was given to me by my dad (may he rest in peace). I had it welded and modified in a shop in Moab last year and used it on several flat tows including a trip form Colo Springs to Moab last year.

Thanks again to everyone for your positive thoughts.

sagethejeepster
June 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
im sorry to hear about that man, this is mike from that same trip with the white cherokee, im glad you guys are all ok.