PDA

View Full Version : switzerland and sugarloaf trails 4/29

jamie desoto
April 30th, 2006, 12:06 PM
so i ran just about everything on and off the switzerland and sugarloaf trails.. found some unbelieveable trails full of rocks, hill climbs, huge ruts and mud! i didnt take all the trails and i put 26 trail miles on the nissan!! i stayed south of sunset. half way back up the switzerland trail from sunset theres a trail that goes off the left side ( yeah the cliff!!) i went down that. yet another 2 miles of trail riding! and yeah it goes pretty much straight down the side!. theres only one way out and two dead ends down there.. the way out is truly insane.. straight up through a narrow trail filled with rocks mud and roots.. once i started on it i knew that no matter what i had to get to the top cause there was no backing up and absolutely no way to turn around.. first gear, 4 low and lots of guts got me up the trail.. this comes out about 500 yards from the parking area at the top.. i couldnt believe where i came out!!!..

down the sugarloaf trail coming from the parking area at switzerland:

there are two spur trails that are a short drive down the trail they both take you to a playground area. through the play ground heading west. theres a trail that dissapears into the woods directly west. take that and it goes to a Y in the road. right takes you back out to the sugarloaf trail. left takes you winding through the woods through a narrow trail with lots of well marked dead end trails.. if youre running something full size i wouldnt recomend it! this trail also takes you to an intersection further west on the sugarloaf trail. if you cross the sugarloaf trail there. you will find a hill climb but sadly at the top there is no place to turn around and its a white knuckle ride in reverse! ... turn left on the sugarloaf trail there and it will take you west along a shelf road thats pretty much 2wd you will pass a tow truck on the side of the trail keep going. about another mile down the trail you will come to an intersection on the right. one trail (the hill climb ) is closed just to the left of it theres a trail that goes north west.. it says dead end on it but i went way down that one and never found a dead end.. i found a rut and root filled hill climb that i couldnt get past.. so i turned around and went back to the sugarloaf trail continueing west.. about another 80 yards up the trail is a spur going right.. this i assume is either big bear gulch or pennsylvania gulch. its a really rocky and rut filled trail with some very good bypasses.. i used them well!!! this trail is very good.. not carnage but its really good!. theres alot of suspension flex test areas down there. about 3/4 mile down the trail you will come to an intersection. left goes up a hill climb that i didnt go up cause i didnt want to die alone!. right takes you through the woods and through a trail with some REALLY deep ruts.. my IFS started to drag so i had to force it up on to the top.. thats the only way i got through and its full of slick mud. here you will come to another super deep washout area.. lots of suspension testing area!. from there on its pretty much just a rocky bumpy ride. that takes you another 1/4 mile to the swizerland trail. go left you goto sunset go right you goto the top where you started..

further down the sugarloaf trail almost to the peak to peak highway. theres a spur trail off to the left. its a maze of woods!! i spent two hours in there and didnt travel even a third of them.

it was a blast i hope someone wants to go sometime. i hate riding out there alone.

cheepin
April 30th, 2006, 07:19 PM
:worthless:

jamie desoto
April 30th, 2006, 07:22 PM
:worthless:
i left the camera at home sorry ... next time i go you go with me and film it!

cheepin
May 1st, 2006, 07:22 PM
Na too far to travel for some mud and snow.I have that right here.