PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand-OR NOT... Gillespie Gulch instead...W/PICS

nomo4x4
April 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
I guess I beat everyone to it. As most of you know Left Hand was closed due to a wildfire, started last night by someone up there... Suprise suprise, We ended up at Gillespie Gulch to find the trail plowed to basicly a dirt road, not very exciting, but better than going home I guess.
Nice meeting you guys that were there. Maybe next time we can actually have some wheeling. We went to the top and the view was worth the drive, excellent vista.
Dave lost his front driverside brake line so I used the famous vise grip trick... It got us to the top and back home... :rolleyes: Oh well it was still fun.
Comming down the trail SUCKED though LOTS and LOTS of people!
Anyway I still had a good time, hope everyone else did, given the circumstances.
http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/4/6/5/1/HPIM0686.JPG
http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/4/6/5/1/HPIM0691.JPG
http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/4/6/5/1/HPIM0694.JPG
http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/4/6/5/1/HPIM0695.JPG
http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/4/6/5/1/HPIM0699.JPG

briani
April 23rd, 2006, 07:41 PM
if you look at the picture of the brake fix you'll notice zak decided to to zip tie to the shock this would work good if the shock didnt move so of we had to stop and repair zak's repair but of course he's only got one good eye

nomo4x4
April 23rd, 2006, 07:42 PM
That part of the shock doesn't move, the rest of the suspension does dumbass. :flipoff2:
And my one eye works quite well, thank you.

sonofmayhem
April 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
whats up with that runner? sfa? it doesnt look like it. i would like to run up there sometime soon.

briani
April 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
if you look close you'll see the intials zh on them visecrips and that is the reason we had to stop again after 20 min i redo the brakes

nomo4x4
April 23rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Brian, shut up... You didn't repair anything. Go fix your carburetor.

The 4runner is IFS, basicly stock. I think thats what you meant :shrug:

DADA_JEEP
April 23rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
how'd you get past the gate and the old lady??

jjeepcherokeer
April 23rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
That part of the shock doesn't move, the rest of the suspension does dumbass. :flipoff2:
And my one eye works quite well, thank you.

true that doesn't move independant of the axle, however it does move inreguards to the body. the line being a hardline from the body would have some issues I think. Atleast you had flex hose to crimp. When mine broke it was right above the fitting and when I tried to crimp the hard line it would just crack instead.

briani
April 23rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
there wasnt really anyone at the bottom when the first 5 rigs went up but some guys got hell from a bunch of people coming in zachs we ended up having to clamp the metal line because of the suspension flexing it broke it lose but it was a good time

18to80DDC
April 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM
We were on our way to the jamestown/ward road trail and some lady came up and said "THAT road is CLOSED, I know, I LIVE here." So we went around to the Ward side and got up to gold lake and it was closed from there.

jamie desoto
April 24th, 2006, 09:56 AM
me and another guy rode the north side of the switzerland trail to sunset. then found another trail going west out that gave me a real workout! nearly as bad as carnage! really narrow and steep in spots with lots of rocks. there would be pics but my girlfriend was so scared she couldnt move!

nomo4x4
April 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM
how'd you get past the gate and the old lady??

There's no gate..YET, just the posts to make the gate. I never saw anyone come out and start complaining but I was a passanger in the 1st or 2nd rig out of about 10 going up, so we just went straight up the trail and missed all the drama.
The forrest ranger at Left Hand is the one who told us it was open and that we should go there. As of yesterday the trail IS NOT CLOSED. It is national forrest, and we have a right to be there, don't take any shit from these grumpy people living up there, if they complain to me I'll tell them to contact the forrest service or Sheriffs department as we are doing nothing illegal.
There's a good post on this trail under the trail talk section too.

YJgirl
April 24th, 2006, 11:16 AM
There's no gate..YET, just the posts to make the gate. I never saw anyone come out and start complaining but I was a passanger in the 1st or 2nd rig out of about 10 going up, so we just went straight up the trail and missed all the drama.
The forrest ranger at Left Hand is the one who told us it was open and that we should go there. As of yesterday the trail IS NOT CLOSED. It is national forrest, and we have a right to be there, don't take any shit from these grumpy people living up there, if they complain to me I'll tell them to contact the forrest service or Sheriffs department as we are doing nothing illegal.
There's a good post on this trail under the trail talk section too.
Good for you guys!!! Pisses me off that they are gating the road, may as well use it before we lose it - and if the FS said it was open, it's open.

ArloGuthroJeep
April 24th, 2006, 11:25 PM
me and another guy rode the north side of the switzerland trail to sunset. then found another trail going west out that gave me a real workout! nearly as bad as carnage! really narrow and steep in spots with lots of rocks. there would be pics but my girlfriend was so scared she couldnt move!
That is Pennsylvania Gulch...I went snow bashing up three 1.5-2 months ago which took us a while, some of the drifts were pretty big.

jamie desoto
April 25th, 2006, 01:20 PM
That is Pennsylvania Gulch...I went snow bashing up three 1.5-2 months ago which took us a while, some of the drifts were pretty big.

just as you get out of sunset..well pretty much youre still in sunset. before you take the left to start back up the switzerland trail. its on the right. i thought it was a driveway! it goes up the side of a gulch.. i thought pennsylvania gulch was further up the trail. maybe it is the same one. anyway its a steep climb with some good rocky sections. once youre at the top it smooths out. youll come to a Y in the road we went left. it takes you to the sugarloaf trail. take a left there and you go back to the intersection where sugarloaf and switzerland come together its about 6 miles. im gonna have to go back there again.. i saw 6 or 7 other trails that run off of sugarloaf that i didnt take. some looked pretty good.

this was the first time i did the entire switzerland trail. from gold hill to sunset and to the end. the gold hill side is a cool ride. and there are some really good looking hill climbs out there too!.. but no rocks just dirt.. i kinda prefer that anyway since rocks break stuff so easy..

if youre going up there let me know id love to go back with a few people and make a day of it.. im sure with all the trails i found up there it could take all day to ride them all