PDA

View Full Version : XRRA, DO you dig it?

JOHN LEU
April 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I didn't get to stay until the end, but what a great time. The air time was fawkin' awesome. The rigs are bad arss. What an event!! I can't find any official post buut this is as close as it comes. http://rock.off-road.com/2006+xrra+season+opener (http://rock.off-road.com/2006+xrra+season+opener) If you didn't make it you missed out. sorry for no pics left it at home:mad: !

Greg@RME
April 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I thought it was the best event I've ever been to, and I've attended my fair share or rockcrawling events. The drivers were just doing things that just shouldn't be done with 4x4's. I got a ton of pics and a few videos, too.

Here's a teaser...

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1720/1001571cropped2wi.jpg

There's a quick writeup & a gallery of pics here-

XRRA @ Area BFE (http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=32287)

YJgirl
April 17th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Damn I must have missed everyone! Teron, my mom and I were there from 9:30 to 5:30. We were on the rocks just below where Jeremy was announcing from.
We had a blast! This was the first rock race we had been to - very impressed with it. They could use a bit more organization, but it was good. I took a few pics that I'll post up after a bit. Helped find someone to patch up Rick Dermo's hand - ouch - he took a nasty cut when driving out of the roll. :eek:

So....2 Campbell chassis in the top 5..... Shannon and our local guy Wes!! :thumbsup:

BASTARD
April 17th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I have been compteting in uroc for for years and it was fun. But this is by far the funest thing I have done in my car. Wes Had good runs all day long he realy kicked ass. God job wes. We will see you all in colorado springs.

zukstur
April 17th, 2006, 10:58 AM
We had a great time with the XRRA courses, just some bad luck. On our first coures we rolled and drove it back on to its wheels and still finished in 1:31:97 with a bad cut on the hand and a broken arm. on our second course we were at 1:38 when we rolled in the wash with two small climbs left to do and timmed out giving us a 12:00, it was hard to drive with one hand and opperate all the controls. course three long course 2:30:12. course four 1:30:13. The second course put us out of the money. Hope to see everyone in springs, I will still be in a cast at that event, but we will have window nets instead of arm restraints.

Congrats to Shannon, Nate,Weston,and all the rest that finished out the day.

A big thanks to Val for getting me patched up.

JOHN LEU
April 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM
How about the jump off? Any one get a video of Rockware jump? I missed out!! Josh told me it was awesome.

JOHN LEU
April 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I heard about the hand. Hope everything is ok. I will be in the springs for sure. Hopefully have the rig done so I can compete.

JOHN LEU
April 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Here is the vid of one of the jumps http://media.putfile.com/100_0997-16

JPGUY
April 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM
For everyone who has not been to an event June 3rd in the Springs is your chance. Last year turnout from CO4x4 was low. XRRA is the S%$T, if you come to an event you will be hooked. Please come show your support in the Springs. XRRA is the only PRO event in CO. No UROC or WEROCK events will be held here so we need a big turnout at the Springs event to keep PRO events in CO.

Greg@RME
April 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM
We had a great time with the XRRA courses, just some bad luck. On our first coures we rolled and drove it back on to its wheels and still finished in 1:31:97 with a bad cut on the hand and a broken arm. on our second course we were at 1:38 when we rolled in the wash with two small climbs left to do and timmed out giving us a 12:00, it was hard to drive with one hand and opperate all the controls. course three long course 2:30:12. course four 1:30:13. The second course put us out of the money. Hope to see everyone in springs, I will still be in a cast at that event, but we will have window nets instead of arm restraints.

Congrats to Shannon, Nate,Weston,and all the rest that finished out the day.

I didn't hear you broke your hand, is it a fracture or something worse? Sorry to hear. I did happen to get a great pic of you getting the buggy back on the tires if that makes you feel better!

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/gallery/d/787-2/100_0960+_Medium_.JPG

Wally
April 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM
i don't know, this was my first event and really couldn't wait to get out of there. The yellow yota flying was cool, but then when he got stuck on his side, like almost everyone else, it was just lame. Didn't seem like a lot of skill, just more skinny pedal type action. I probably won't ever go again, it just didn't do it for me :shrug:

Greg@RME
April 17th, 2006, 11:38 AM
i don't know, this was my first event and really couldn't wait to get out of there. The yellow yota flying was cool, but then when he got stuck on his side, like almost everyone else, it was just lame. Didn't seem like a lot of skill, just more skinny pedal type action. I probably won't ever go again, it just didn't do it for me :shrug:

I think that skinny pedal action & the high speeds are why people like this, compared to the usual rockcrawling comps. Watching a UROC comp is kinda like watching a golf game, it's all about caution. On the otherhand, XRRA is like a NASCAR with rocks, jumps... and right turns! :P

ThePagan
April 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM
...bad cut on the hand and a broken arm.

Dang, Rick - sorry to hear that.

- Shawn

JPGUY
April 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM

So what events do you go see and like Wally? If you didn't like this do you like UROC? As far as skill goes...I could not disagree with you more. Anyone can drive slow with a spotter, all you do is go where you are told. Some of those guys (in other series) don't even look at the course, just turn the wheel when the spotter says so and hope for the best. I did not hear one person who was not having a good time at the event.

Kirby N.
April 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM
For everyone who has not been to an event June 3rd in the Springs is your chance. Last year turnout from CO4x4 was low. XRRA is the S%$T, if you come to an event you will be hooked. Please come show your support in the Springs. XRRA is the only PRO event in CO. No UROC or WEROCK events will be held here so we need a big turnout at the Springs event to keep PRO events in CO.

When and Where?

YJgirl
April 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM
We had a great time with the XRRA courses, just some bad luck. On our first coures we rolled and drove it back on to its wheels and still finished in 1:31:97 with a bad cut on the hand and a broken arm. Hope to see everyone in springs, I will still be in a cast at that event, but we will have window nets instead of arm restraints.

No problem! I'm just glad I found Starla with a full medical bag in the trailer. I was really hoping the arm wasn't broken, but I thought it might be - I hate it when I'm right. Hope the arm heals soon!!!

RAVENRACING.net
April 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Springs event. hwy 24 east to hwy 94. head east on 94 until mile marker 6. turn left at mm6. not before. those are motocross tracks. Ram off road and American and import auto salvage is the place. follow road to right of salvage yard it will take you around back. June 4 Sat.

And Wally we all ran uroc,Rcaa,pro rock and were bored with the oh shit watch that cone style so we went where it was more fun.
And if you think there is no skill bring your rig out and take the money

Wally
April 17th, 2006, 05:21 PM
easy fella's i know there's skill involved, just sitting on the sidelines watching people throttle through the courses with one of them getting stuck for 30-45 minutes every lap starts to get old. In the 3 hours i spent at BFE that day watching the races, i saw four actual races. Considering it takes less than 2 minutes to run a course, that seems pretty boring to me. Watching some fool in a Tubed out TJ beat on his rig with no hope of EVER making it up an obstical for a solid 10 minutes only to break or roll, and hold up everything else for the next 45 minutes while they figure out how to get him out is pretty damn boring. It's like watching 1 minute of hockey then going back to a no hitter baseball game. Hey some people love no hitters, me i prefer hockey, where there's action all the time. Eliminate the clowns, keep the races flowing and maybe i might find some more enjoyment out of it, but like i said 4 races in 3 hours :thumbsdown:

jtcustoms
April 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Bring your junk and compete and you wont be bored!
JT

BigTex aka Wes
April 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM
What they said, bring the YJ out and run the races. See ya'll in Colorado Springs!

Oh and thanks for all the kind words guys!

zukstur
April 17th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I was really hoping the arm wasn't broken, but I thought it might be - I hate it when I'm right. Hope the arm heals soon!!![/QUOTE]

Greg I broke the arm about four inches from the wrist on the roll that you got on film. I drove the last three courses with one hand. I tried to get the doc to tell my wife that i couldnt mow the lawn for at least 6 months but she didnt buy it.

Cool picture Greg:D

Thanks

cheepin
April 17th, 2006, 10:40 PM
It was my first time I have seen.I had a blast!These guys fly over some crazy stuff.We screwed up though and left around 3:30 and missed them going the other way.Wish I would have seen them climbing the big ledge.

skulltoy
April 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I had the most fun I have had rockcrawling in years.

I cannot wait for the rest of the season.

cagedxj
April 18th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I have seen a couple of XRRA events. I really like them. It is a fairly NEW format and will get ironed out as it matures. The C/S event was pretty cool last year and I will be there this year.

JOHN LEU
April 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Some good pics here http://www.milspecphoto.com/gallery/1377672/1/65028953
and here
http://www.milspecphoto.com/gallery/1377705/5/65030460

Got them off of Pirate. Wish I hadn't left the camera at home.

skulltoy
April 18th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Awesome video here from superlift!

http://www.smithprod.com/XRRA.wmv

JOHN LEU
April 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Great vid! Whats up with the shading? Would loved to have seen those!!!

GROUND CONTROL 4X4
April 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM
We saw em!!!! Look to the right Damian is standing next to them in the Ground Control shirt!!!!! ,

CHOPS
April 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Anyone can drive slow with a spotter, all you do is go where you are told. Some of those guys (in other series) don't even look at the course, just turn the wheel when the spotter says so and hope for the best.

Is that so... I'd argue that a bit.:D Not to take anything away from XRRA but the crawling competitions do take a great deal of skill and ability. We had a great time at the CS Rock Race last year and are looking foward to this years as well!

JPGUY
April 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Is that so... I'd argue that a bit.:D Not to take anything away from XRRA but the crawling competitions do take a great deal of skill and ability. We had a great time at the CS Rock Race last year and are looking foward to this years as well!

I've seen you guy's driving with your eyes shut.......but I think you were just scared!!!!!!:flipoff2: They both take skill. Wally said it was just a "run and gun" type event so I was just being a smart-ass but alot of guy's in comp and just out wheeling rely on the spotter too much IMHO. Anyway, I pm'd your bro about some Art Carr stuff we need for the buggy. Let me know what your $$$$ are on the stuff when you get a chance. TC, rev man valvebody and shifter for TH-400.:beer:

CHOPS
April 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I've seen you guy's driving with your eyes shut.......but I think you were just scared!!!!!!:flipoff2: They both take skill. Wally said it was just a "run and gun" type event so I was just being a smart-ass but alot of guy's in comp and just out wheeling rely on the spotter too much IMHO. Anyway, I pm'd your bro about some Art Carr stuff we need for the buggy. Let me know what your $$$$ are on the stuff when you get a chance. TC, rev man valvebody and shifter for TH-400.:beer:

We actually talked about trying to run something with the driver blindfolded. It's difficult, I got a real tast of it at Globe. Backing up he can't see, I had to "drive" for outside the Ranger. Not as easy as it sounds..

I think Brad has had trouble loggong so he may not have recieved your PM. I'll get you you some info as soon as I can, I don't have price info with me today.

BTF1
April 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM
You have to remember we are not racing each other,just the clock. If it looks boring, bring your rig and get at it. See you all in the Springs for event #2

zukstur
April 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
It looks like I'll still be driving one handed at the springs event. The cast wont come off for another 6 weeks:mad: