PDA

View Full Version : Flex-a-lite's wrangler fan

John Kazmierczak
April 13th, 2006, 09:54 AM
We installed an electric fan in the TJ. Flex-a-lites new Black Magic Extreme. It moves over 3000 cubic feet of air a minute. (thats alot for an electric fan)

The writeup can be seen here http://www.parksoffroad.com/johnsjeep/flexalite/flexalite.htm

GrandWheeler
April 13th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I like the idea, but does this fan keep the jeep any cooler than the stock fan? If it doesnt I dont really see the point in replacing the stock fan.

Ryan

John Kazmierczak
April 13th, 2006, 11:39 PM
The fan will free up horsepower and torque, and provide better cooling at low speeds.

phattdraggon
April 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM
The fan will free up horsepower and torque, and provide better cooling at low speeds.

don't forget you can put an in-line switch and turn it off for water crossings. so you don't churn the water up and put a fan blade through the radiator.

this one is a continuous blade though correct? all of the blades are connected at the outside?

how much was it?

John Kazmierczak
April 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Yes you can put a switch in line to kill it, You can put one inline to manually run it too. There are special instructions for this.

As far as price.............. Call Scott at Absolute OffRoad (970)245-8481

MHickey
January 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Put one on my YJ. Very effective at cooling, but the contoller that came with it sucks. I am still running it, but it is one of those probe-in-the-radiator types. Driving down the road and idling in traffic changes the real turn on setpoint in relation to actual engine temp. The box the controller is in is a joke for an offroad vehicle. The side is completely open as well as around the adjuster knob with individual leads for the wiring. I used a bunch of RTV and dielectric grease to give it some sort of weatherproofing. Will most likely go with a Painless Performance waterproof controller ASAP.

Oh yeah, when installing, you will need to put some 1/2" long bolts (can't remember size, but they are SAE. 5/16 NF..IIRC) into the water pump drive pulley, taking out the studs. There isn't enough clearance in a 4.0 YJ. Otherwise the installation was very smooth. Might want to use noise filters on any sensitive radio equipment after installing this fan.

300K XJ
April 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Sweet write-up!
maybe I missed it in the write-up or the instructions link, but here are the torque specs and clearance specs along with addition installation info:

INSTALLING A NEW FAN.

Starting at the fan drive or pulley hub, mount an adapter if requires, then use a standard spacer to correctly position the fan for ideal performance and proper clearance. If the Flex-a-lite fan is not installed directly to the face of the fan drive or pulley, a full face spacer must be used or the Flex-a-lite warranty will be voided.

When properly installed on vehicles with a shroud, the opening or the rear edge of the shroud should line up with the center of the fan hub, PROVIDED all other fan clearances are met.

Use appropriate SAE Grade 5 or better capscrews plus the washer typically provided with our fans. Do not use a washer less than 3/4" dia. Torque all capscrews evenly (see table below for standard torque). Remember to re-torque all capscrews during routine maintenance, especially first maintenance after installing a new fan.

Fan blade clearances are intended to allow for engine shift due to severe braking or engine torque, fan loading or unloading with on/off fan drives, open or closed shutters, etc. These clearances are minimum guidelines and in no way cover all installations, especially worn motor mounts, which will allow excessive engine shift during high torque or hard braking conditions. Allowing a spinning blade to contact other engine compartment parts will be only void your warranty, but can cause severe damage to the fan and or other vehicle components.

Fans should not operate with blade tips that overlap the sides or the radiator or radiator tanks. Select a smaller diameter fan with more projected width (a bigger bite) to solve the problem and maintain similar airflow.

Minimum Fan Blade Clearances:
To front of fan: 1" from the leading edge of the fan to the first obstacle forward (not always the radiator fin surface).
To rear of fan: 1/2" from the trailing edge of the fan.
Blade Tip Clearances: 3/4" from each blade to the first obstacle to the side (not always the fan shroud).

Standard Torgue Table
Grade 5 5/16" dia. 13-15 Ft. lb.
Grade 5 3/8" dia. 23-25 Ft. lb.
Grade 5 1/2" dia. 55-60 Ft. lb.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/heavy2/install/install.html

300K XJ
April 10th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Make sure you have a 40 AMP fuse. Some have been rumored to be shipped with a lower AMP fuse and continually blow.

300K XJ
April 26th, 2007, 12:28 AM
So-

finally installed one, it'll keep the engine way cooler than the stock fan, if you want it to. I don't think running it too much cooler would do a lot for ya though. Engineers would have made the stock one do that if it would help in a huge way.

Significant power gains, REALLY. I'm impressed- cheapest dollar for horsepower bolt-on that I have ever installed.

4Lo
December 5th, 2007, 12:19 AM
How hard do you think it would be to retrofit this to a 4 cyl TJ and would I see any gains in power?

05Willys
December 20th, 2007, 10:28 AM
How hard do you think it would be to retrofit this to a 4 cyl TJ and would I see any gains in power?

I have seen a lot of the tj guys do the torus fan swap for this.:shrug: