PDA

View Full Version : LHC 4-2-06 Mayham

ArloGuthroJeep
April 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Got up there about 1:30 only to find out some girl had rolled her 4-runner. Another 2 hours later she was taken down on a strecher and ambulanced off:(

Didn't see any pics of the 4-runner though:shrug:

Among the trash I picked up one caught me off guard...it looks to be a transmission crossmember...you would have thought they would have taken that with them after it was ripped off:shrug:

And unfortunantly these "mini" dirtbikers were tearing up the side of the mountain right next to the NO MOTOR VEHICLES sign:tisk: :rolleyes: :tisk:

Posting these pics in hope that someone recognizes them
http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/P4020081.jpg
http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/P4020082.jpg
http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/P4020083.jpg
http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/P4020084.jpg
http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/P4020085.jpg
http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/P4020086.jpg
http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/P4020087.jpg
http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/P4020088.jpg

bustanutley
April 2nd, 2006, 11:50 PM
it wasn't a 4-runner, was an atv

jowwo
April 3rd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Heard it was a guy, not a girl? :shrug: With everybody locked out, it was really nice and quiet up in carnage.:D

ArloGuthroJeep
April 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
:D Well with that kind of misinformation going on I can believe that I heard just about the opposite actually happened...

Alpine Spirit
April 3rd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Send em to the forest service office for the area. They will keep em on file and maybe at a later date they will catch em again. More fines for the little bastards.

rubbersidedown
April 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
:flipoff: FAWKIN DIRT BAGS!!!!! GROW UP!!!! :flipoff:

Cant stand young punks who think none of the rules apply to them!!!!:rant:

cheepin
April 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
Did you say anything to them or just sit back and take pics?I would have been all over them!Seems to my the ATVs are worse then most wheelers!!Every year I get into it with some ATVers up on the Battlement Mesa trail!!They are constantly bypassing the bigger rocks and cutting through the woods!!:mad: PISSES ME OFF!!!!:mad:

Funrover
April 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
What a bunch of clowns...They will get theirs someday!!

ArloGuthroJeep
April 4th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Our regular trip pics: http://www.gu3.net/jeep/Trip-Pics/LHC-4-2-06/index.html

YJgirl
April 4th, 2006, 10:06 AM
UPDATE: It was an ATV that rolled on a girl above Firemans Hill. Two of the Trail Ridge Runners transported the Sherriff and the EMTs to the scene, and they ended up walking the girl out on a streacher.

ArloGuthroJeep - Call the BRD and see who you should send you pics to. The main number is 303-541-2500.

RJsfun
April 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
It just shows that those idiots are little boys. Real men ride real bikes, not little 50cc's.
Thanks for looking out for all the fellow wheelers and taking some initiative!!!

JeepDiva
April 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
UPDATE: It was an ATV that rolled on a girl above Firemans Hill. Two of the Trail Ridge Runners transported the Sherriff and the EMTs to the scene, and they ended up walking the girl out on a streacher.

:thumbsup: Great job Trail Ridge Runners :beer:

camocreation
April 4th, 2006, 12:45 PM
the Forest Service has the pics now, they were not happy!!!

ArloGuthroJeep
April 4th, 2006, 01:13 PM
the Forest Service has the pics now, they were not happy!!!
Thanks for doing that, I was going to give them a call when I got back home...did you send them all of the pics (have like 8-10) or just the two I posted here?

camocreation
April 4th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Just the ones that are on this page

ishmaelcallme
April 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I feel your pain, but unfortunatly by giving these photos to the forest service, you are just giving them more ammo to shut the entire place down.

What should be done? Well, probably the best thing to do (if you feel comfortable with it) is to talk to them right then and there and politely point out to them that they are messing around in a closed area and if they continue they are contributing to getting the whole place closed down. Probably would not hurt to let them see you obviously taking pictures of them. Possibly you could call the FS and get an officer to catch them red-handed if they stuck around long enough (possibly providing the pictures as proof if they are behaving by the time the officer arrives but have not yet left the area totally). I am just not sure that providing pictures after the fact (without actually busting the idiots) is doing more harm to our cause of keeping trails open, than good.

ArloGuthroJeep
April 4th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I feel your pain, but unfortunatly by giving these photos to the forest service, you are just giving them more ammo to shut the entire place down.

What should be done? Well, probably the best thing to do (if you feel comfortable with it) is to talk to them right then and there and politely point out to them that they are messing around in a closed area and if they continue they are contributing to getting the whole place closed down. Probably would not hurt to let them see you obviously taking pictures of them. Possibly you could call the FS and get an officer to catch them red-handed if they stuck around long enough (possibly providing the pictures as proof if they are behaving by the time the officer arrives but have not yet left the area totally). I am just not sure that providing pictures after the fact (without actually busting the idiots) is doing more harm to our cause of keeping trails open, than good.

Ahh yes because I am sure the FS doesn't already know whats going on there:flipoff2:

YJgirl
April 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Actually what you stated above is entirely opposite of what should be done. Nobody should ever approach anoyone else on the trail that is not in your group. Why? Because the situation can go terribly wrong. Yes, those boys in the pics above don't seem to have a gun on them, or the carrying type, but do we 100% know they don't have a gun??? Or mace? Or going to start a fight about who's wrong or right? Are you willing (and dumb enough) to put your life in a situation that you don't know how to handle if it goes south?

In situations like this, the best thing to do is take pictures, get face shots, OHV tag numbers (license plate numbers if applicable), and let the law enforcemnt officials do their job. Paul, the law enforcement officer in the Boulder Ranger District, can do a lot with a picture. Ask the guy who graciously drove up the big tree at five points and how many tickets he received for that act-of-brilliance.
Your number one concern should always be your safety. Observe and report, don't risk your life. I would rather have everyone have a good day of wheeling and have observed and taken pictures of off-trail users than find out that someone was shot 3 times because they told the off-trail user to get on the trail and the situation went downhill from there.

TRASHY CJ7
April 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Call The Little Bastards Over And Rip Them A New Arse If That Doesnt Work Run Them Over With Your Jeep Screw Taking Pictures

Waifer2112
April 5th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Actually what you stated above is entirely opposite of what should be done. Nobody should ever approach anoyone else on the trail that is not in your group. Why? Because the situation can go terribly wrong. Yes, those boys in the pics above don't seem to have a gun on them, or the carrying type, but do we 100% know they don't have a gun??? Or mace? Or going to start a fight about who's wrong or right? Are you willing (and dumb enough) to put your life in a situation that you don't know how to handle if it goes south?

In situations like this, the best thing to do is take pictures, get face shots, OHV tag numbers (license plate numbers if applicable), and let the law enforcemnt officials do their job. Paul, the law enforcement officer in the Boulder Ranger District, can do a lot with a picture. Ask the guy who graciously drove up the big tree at five points and how many tickets he received for that act-of-brilliance.
Your number one concern should always be your safety. Observe and report, don't risk your life. I would rather have everyone have a good day of wheeling and have observed and taken pictures of off-trail users than find out that someone was shot 3 times because they told the off-trail user to get on the trail and the situation went downhill from there.

Great post!! :thumbsup:

Jeffro600
April 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Great post!! :thumbsup:

X2!! :thumbsup:

Rando
April 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
i confront people doing stupid shit.
could it go horribly wrong? maybe but it better than standing by and doing nothing.

ishmaelcallme
April 5th, 2006, 07:10 PM
First off, I agree safety is paramount.

But imagine: The FS gets billions of complaints about idiots going off trail. They need more officers to keep up. They don't have them. Solution? Close trail.

How do we avoid this? We need something that will avoid the above situation while at the same time educating idiots.

We (four-wheelers as a group) have MUCH more presence on the trails than law officers, and it would be nice to take advantage of that somehow.

At the very least I think it is good to have this discussion.

ArloGuthroJeep
April 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I joined Tread Lightly earlier today...aside from membership dues I spent ~$12 on some stickers and other small things...$13 in shipping for $12 in items:rolleyes:

Instigator
April 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I saw the guys in the pics when we were up there. They were on the trail when we saw them but I remember saying "It's because of dumbasses like that the trail will be closed by the end of summer" Again they were not off trail but you could just tell....I agree with ishmael and I would have had to say something to them if they had been off trail when I ran into them. But then again I can be a Bit*h

Waifer2112
April 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah, and most times women can get away with verbal assaults. But there's no way I'm going to confront a "gang" of guys I don't know, and possibly escalate things to the point someone's hurt or in jail. Just not worth it. A vehicle full of people going slightly off-road and looking a little clueless? Sure, I'd stop and talk with them. A bunch of guys drinking and tearing up a mountainside? Pics. and license #'s at that point.

ROKCHEV
April 7th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Sometimes we don't know what people like this have on them in terms of weapons, but what the hell! I was up there a year ago and witnessed the same type of action, if you get their damn face, and let them know that we are all a part of keeping the trail open, you never know what kind of impact you could make. Punk kids like this piss me off so much and I am sure the rest of us as well. So quit being pussies and tell them to grow up and show respect!! Picture are great, FS obviously know what is going on(all the cable fences!!! duh!!), they shut down the playground a couple years ago, and it will not change. But if we just sit there and don't say anything, we are all screwed!! Man up dammit!! Say something!!!

Gunter
April 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM
can you perhaps gather any info on some caught violators and what they were charged with?and how our pics may help?and if possible,what the outcome was of the charges was?we need some useful info to quote and use when we are out and about.
thanks
scott