PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Creek 3/09-3/11

luvmeye22re
March 13th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Just got back from Wolf Creek, not wheeling but worth mentioning, 3 days of waist deep soft powder and its still coming down. 80 inches or so in 3 days. Forget everything you know and get there as soon as you can because this storm is going strong for another day or two. The waterfall area was beautiful and virtually untouched the whole time. Visibility was somewhat poor at times and when you land upside down in 4 feet of powder breathing can be difficult but......so worth it all. Base was last reported at 111 inches at 1 pm today!

CGuava
March 13th, 2006, 03:08 AM
so jealous.....

Claw
March 13th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I just heard a report on the radio from the Colorado Avalanche Center that said Wolf Creek Pass got 71 inches just from this past storm.

74BuckinBronc
March 13th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I grew up skiing on that mountain. I sure miss it. No lines, not a whole lot of jerks and it was easy to find yourself all alone on a trail. The waterfall area is great!! Do they still have the CAT take you back to the lifts?? Good to hear Wolf Creek is catching up with the denver area resorts in snow fall, they are sure hurting for water down there!

www.wolfcreekski.com

J.D.

luvmeye22re
March 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Out of the 4 or 5 trips Ive taken there I didnt see a cat to take you back up from the bottom of the waterfall area but at the bottom where they have the flats and all the cross country skiing there is a new 4 man lift that takes you up to the top of the waterfall area and you can take a catwalk across the mountain to get to the main area.

willyb
March 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM
That's good to hear... We went boarding in early January and there was only a ~65in. base... So jealous... Always a good time :D

74BuckinBronc
March 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Out of the 4 or 5 trips Ive taken there I didnt see a cat to take you back up from the bottom of the waterfall area but at the bottom where they have the flats and all the cross country skiing there is a new 4 man lift that takes you up to the top of the waterfall area and you can take a catwalk across the mountain to get to the main area.

Really? That shows how long it's been since I was there. of course, the last time we went we were with some novice skiers, so we stayed away from the Waterfall area and the lift could have been there then?? Anyway, if you did the waterfall, you used to have to hike over from the alberta face chair, ski down and wait for a cat to tow you back to the main area. There is nothing like skiing in waist deep powder until you fall!!

J.D.

luvmeye22re
March 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM
The lift does look pretty new so it may have not been there when you went. The waterfall area can be hectic when its all skied off but when its 4+ foot of powder it becomes a lot less intimidating. I love wolf creek though, definitely my favorite mountain ever.

Claw
March 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM
9 News this morning said that Wolf Creek has gotten 100 inches overall this past week.

luvmeye22re
March 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Yes the storm has taken a little break for now and was reported at 104 inches total which I got to ride the tail end of. Snow is supposed to start again saturday and keep going through most of the following week, and Ill there for that storm too :hail: The target date for them closing is April 2nd so get your time in there if you can!