PDA

View Full Version : D60 axle yoke clearancing for higher angles

Scott@Rockstomper
March 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Stole the idea from Brad and Roger Lovell, but wrote up a CNC program to do it the easy way... without getting too crazy, 42-43 degrees appears to be the practical limit on an Alloy USA front 60 axleshaft.

http://www.rockstomper.com/images/products/axles/clearancing/IM000384.JPG

flashover
March 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Do you have before and after shots? I am not building a 60, but more knowledge is always good :D

Scott@Rockstomper
March 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Not technically "before" but very early in the clearancing operation:

http://www.rockstomper.com/images/products/axles/clearancing/IM000380.JPG

I do have some angle measurements; I oughta put some other stuff together and check angles and clearances.

Stock Dana binds between 32 and 35 degrees. (stock 60 knuckles are typically set to 32 degrees of steer angle)
Alloy USA axles fresh out of the box bind around 38 degrees.
Clearanced Alloy USA axles bind around 43 degrees. I think I could go farther, but it'd take a deeper cut than I think I can go into, without compromising strength.

Mrfreeze5
March 2nd, 2006, 01:23 PM
Do you think something like that could be pulled off on dana 44 style Superiors without a strength compromise?

Scott@Rockstomper
March 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
Do you think something like that could be pulled off on dana 44 style Superiors without a strength compromise?

I can't see why not, although with a lot less material to start with, I'd imagine that the strength compromise from the higher angle, could become a problem. Thus far, this is largely a guess as to "how much is safe" based on hearsay, recommendations from Jack (CTM), talking with the guys at Alloy USA, other engineer friends, etc.

I didn't machine on the 60 ears at all, but keep in mind that joint assembly strength goes away in a hurry, the farther you steer it. So at 45 you run a far greater risk of breaking the joint (or crossloading the ears hard enough to rip them off) than you do at 30.

Scott@Rockstomper
March 2nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Just pulled a few measurements off a 44 joint and ear assembly (not Superior, but stock Spicer, all I've got here) and it could be too much to cut on a 44.

The web down the middle would end up only about 0.3" thick (the 60 web, post-cutting, is still 0.75") and the recess would be cut all the way to the sheetmetal K-seal backing on the stub, and nearly all the way through on the inner as well.

On a more positive note, however, the stock 44 setup that I have here, doesn't bind till 40 degrees anyway. :)

Mrfreeze5
March 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Good to know. Im pretty sure Ill have plenty of room to move with what I have, but its nice to weigh the options.

Ben Holloway
March 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
so when you get the axle to turn that sharp how do you clear the links while turning? seems like a lot of angle on a somewat narrow axle

Ben

Scott@Rockstomper
March 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
I'm less worried about the links, than I am about the chassis. I can bend the links if I have to. :silly:

Realistically, I'm hoping we can use the full angle available in the front, but don't anticipate using it in the rear. The rear tires at full lock get into too much stuff to make this kind of angle. The front is less of an issue because the axle is farther from the seats, and slightly more restricted on uptravel because of engine location, so (ideally) the tires should be swinging under the engine/chassis somewhat.

Eric
March 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Nice, beats using a die-grinder :thumbsup: Driveshaft yokes have some room to open up as well.

Ben Holloway
March 4th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'm less worried about the links, than I am about the chassis. I can bend the links if I have to. :silly:

Realistically, I'm hoping we can use the full angle available in the front, but don't anticipate using it in the rear. The rear tires at full lock get into too much stuff to make this kind of angle. The front is less of an issue because the axle is farther from the seats, and slightly more restricted on uptravel because of engine location, so (ideally) the tires should be swinging under the engine/chassis somewhat.

yeah ive got mine bent in to clear the steering i dont thing there would still be enough room for that much angle. but you are probaly running a high pinion arent you?

Ben

blk87K5
March 4th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Buy CTM shafts, and Jack clearances them to 45* for free.

Ben Holloway
March 6th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Buy CTM shafts, and Jack clearances them to 45* for free.

what are they running now... about 5gs a set?

Ben

Scott@Rockstomper
March 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM
yeah ive got mine bent in to clear the steering i dont thing there would still be enough room for that much angle. but you are probaly running a high pinion arent you?

High pinion, yes. The driveshaft might become a clearance problem if it were low pinion, but I don't have that as much of an option anyway--the angles are way too ugly if I try to run low pinion.

The front tires at silly angles will probably get into the main chassis rails; they already get into the wheel arches on articulation (but not necessarily on steering) as it is. Steering in that condition actually improves clearance.

In the rear, the clearance problem is equal parts chassis and seats. I'm hoping to get ~38 degrees out of the rear safely, vs. the front where I could use everything I can get. We'll see what clearance problems crop up there.

blk87K5
March 7th, 2006, 03:36 PM
what are they running now... about 5gs a set?

Ben

Not quite, but with the price of 300M exponentially increasing, it wont be long...

Scott@Rockstomper
March 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Update:
Clearancing work on the knuckles:
http://www.rockstomper.com/images/products/custom/shopjunk/mantis4/winter06/IM000449.JPG

Before:

http://www.rockstomper.com/images/products/custom/shopjunk/mantis4/winter06/IM000440.JPG

After:

http://www.rockstomper.com/images/products/custom/shopjunk/mantis4/winter06/IM000441.JPG

Clod Hopper
March 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM
:eek:!

Ummm, yeah that might turn a bit sharper. :thumbsup: