PDA

View Full Version : Benders

Hippie
January 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM
All - I was all set to buy the JD2 until the new Crawl came out with the comparison between the JD2 and the Pro Tools bender. I like a few of the features on the pro Tools over the JD.

Is anyone on the board using or has used the PT bender? or both?

what do you like/dislike about each?

Is the PT worth the extra $ ?

TIA

(PS - I just wanted one of the first post's in the new forum :D )

flashover
January 20th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Jeff, I have the JD2 bender ans have been using it for a few months now in my buggy buildup. Before purchasing this bender, I did some product research and chose the JD2 for the following reasons:

1. Dies are cheaper. They are still expensive, but the 180* dies for the JD2 are slightly less than the 240* (180*of useable bend) Pro Tools dies.
2. I prefer the degree ring of the JD2 as well. Not only is it included in the price, but you can adjust the position of the wheel, whereas the Pro Tools is fixed position. It is fairly easy to repeat bends without the stop that Pro Tools uses.

As far as durability goes, the Pro Tools HD uses 5/8" steel for the arms instead of the 1/2" that the regulare version and the JD2 use. I have not had a problem with the thickness of the arms yet, and have bent a few pieces of 1.75x.188 material, which is over the recommended limits of the bender.

Overall, I am happy with the JD2, but the Pro Tools did not lose out on me by much. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Ghettojeep
January 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I paid $337 shipped for my JD2, picked up a die from a boardmember for $150 or so.

Not a bad deal for less then $500.

I think any one who buys the little extras on either type, like the stand, handle, etc are just wasting your money.

My $.02

1973CJ5
January 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Never used the Pro-Shop bender. I bought a JD2 off a board member a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. The adjustable degree ring, as Flash says, if very nice to have.

Colt
January 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM
ghettojeep -
where did you buy your bender?

rickrock
January 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM
You might want to check with Mike Green 4x4 on pricing for pro tools bender , Former employee, great price and product. I went with the heavy arms just because of price, cant say anthing wrong with either bender, more experince with the hossfeld bender but that is out of price range for the home shop.

Steve Rickard
January 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
I have been using a Pro-Tools bender for about 6 years now and am very satisfied with it. Both benders work well but I like the follow dies of the PT better. They are a more substantial piece than the JD2. Other than that item I think both are comparable and for limited use they will see in the average wheelers garage, flip a coin! The PT notcher is top notch as well, no pun intended!

Ghettojeep
January 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
www.tricktools.com Van Sant Enterprises. They are in Iowa, close then FL where JD is.

You can buy them from JD2 too direct. www.jd2.com

Colt
January 24th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I see a bender in my future... I love tax time

1973CJ5
January 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Trick Tools is a sweet site. I bought the TN-100 notcher along with some of the hole saws. They have a lot of cool tools for various things.

fredlg
January 31st, 2006, 08:28 PM
Have the PT 105. I'm happy with it. Got it from Mike Green 4x4. Nice guy. At the time, the package was slightly less than the JD2.