PDA

View Full Version : BB upgrade this weekend... maybe

Eric
October 18th, 2001, 07:43 AM
The "latest and greatest" version of this BB software is set for release this Friday, Oct. 19th. I have every intention of installing the upgrade this weekend, but that depends on whether they actually release the software as planned and on my own availability. The newer version comes with some of our custom "add ons" built in, but not all. So, I'll get the upgrade over with asap and then restore the missing features (and some new ones that I've been holding out on for the upgrade) when I can.

This post is just a notice to let you know the board might be down briefly in the near future (possibly happen as early as this weekend or as late as a few weeks from now) and when it comes back some current features might be missing for a little while. In time, however, they shall all be restored smilies/beer.gif

Eric
October 19th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Here is a list of the upcoming BB changes if you're bored / interested:
UBB 6.1 Features (http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000554)

As of 1:53pm I still don't see the update available. Hopefully it'll be up soon...

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Eric ]

Eric
October 19th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Upgrade has been released and I just finished downloading it smilies/biggrin.gif I'll try to install the upgrade this weekend, so expect the BB to be down briefly sometime this weekend. It may take me considerably longer to install some of the customizations that we're used to. Just an FYI.

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Eric ]

Eric
October 24th, 2001, 04:49 PM
As you've noticed by now the upgrade hasn't been installed yet. I decided to wait at the last minute because most of our customizations (such as Who's online, PM Inbox notification, File uploads, Member list, etc.) haven't been validated on the new BB version. I know of two users who are experiencing login problems with the current BB version so I'm anxious to update it in the hopes that it cures their problems. I'm going to give it another week or so and then I'll proceed with the upgrade. Thanks for your patience!

xoc
October 24th, 2001, 10:06 PM
C'mon Eric, install it smilies/smile.gif

You're my guinea pig now, if it works here then I'll upgrade my board, although I am thinking of waiting for 6.2, which has the polling and other goodies. 6.1 doesn't seem to offer much right now.

BTW, I've been running mod_gzip for a month now with no problems. My bandwidth usage dropped from 1.5GB a day to 300MB with the compression. It's worth the install and free.

rpenner54
October 25th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Port it over to VBB it has more features and is more user friendly for everyone. smilies/smile.gif You don't lose any of your setting and you can get the polls, the important threads, and all that good jazz. It seems more friendly at the moderator level too, don't know about the Admin level though.