PDA

View Full Version : The return of the "rankings" and a note about Avatars

Eric
August 18th, 2002, 12:51 PM
I was hesitant to restore this one because it tends to lead to posting competitions :rolleyes: but decided to give it a try again. Remember, these "rankings" are just for fun! Nobody should give a rip what your ranking is... it has no meaning whatsoever except as an easier indication of how much you participate (as if that even matters. We could tell that all along anyway by your post count which is more subtle). So, FWIW here's the current listing:

Minimum #
of posts Title
------------------
0 Newbie
10 Armchair Wheeler
25 Bolt-on Pozer
50 Ramp Champ
100 Rock Stacker
200 Spotter
300 Wheeler
500 Gonzo Wheeler
1000 Trail Blazer
2000 Mountain Madman

This of course means the return of the cheesey stars, so as always we're open to suggestions (both in the titles and the stars replacements). Those who get a kick out of this little bit of entertainment, here's one for ya graemlins/beer.gif graemlins/thefinger.gif

I believe I forgot to mention a restriction on the use of Avatars. Since the upgrade they were available only for users who had achieved Wheeler status which used to be 31 posts. I've since adjusted this to Armchair Wheeler status which is only 10 posts. So, if you don't see the Avatar option in your profile then that simply means you haven't participated enough to earn one graemlins/thefinger.gif . And speaking of the Avatars themselves, as others have pointed out the included avatars are pretty sad. We'll be cleaning out the crap avatars and I'd like to replace them with some better ones. If you have one you'd like to share please send it to me. Let's build our own library of avatars! For example, I'll be including the flag I've been using. This should go without saying, but don't send me any pics of your rig... only generic avatars. You already have the ability to use more personal avatars like that. graemlins/beer.gif

[ August 19, 2002, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Eric ]

SamFromCO
August 18th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Eric, for all your hard work on what is by far my favorite web site. I hope you realize how much it's appreciated. I didn't notice anything about downloading pictures. Will that also be coming back? I'd like to shake your hand and buy you a graemlins/beer.gif or graemlins/beer.gif graemlins/beer.gif some day.

Sam

D_Roc
August 18th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Woohooo! Gonzo! graemlins/thefinger.gif

Eric
August 18th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SamFromCO:
I didn't notice anything about downloading pictures. Will that also be coming back?Thanks for the comments, it's always good to hear that stuff after a few hours of working on this place graemlins/beer.gif :D graemlins/beer.gif

The ability to upload pics to CO4x4 will return, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Lots of other items I need to get to as well :(

Aaron
August 18th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Looks good Eric! I, too, have always wanted to meet you and have you buy me a beer! graemlins/thefinger.gif

dmeis
August 19th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Bob Levenhagen:A note from your Moderator:
Let's be adults about the member rating deal, no Post Padding just to get more stars. IMO they are kind of cheesy...[/QB]Yeah! Let's replace them with little SWAMPERS!!!! graemlins/rasta.gif

Aaron
August 19th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Bob Levenhagen:
I second that Aaron! Although I have met Eric, I'm always willing to drink his beer. graemlins/thefinger.gif
Bob, I have met Eric! I was just giving sh@t. Just ask him about the dent in his Jeep!

RockYacht
August 19th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Aaron@Rockstomper:
[QBBob, I have met Eric! I was just giving sh@t. Just ask him about the dent in his Jeep![/QB]I know, figured you must have since him and Scott are nieghbors... I heard about the dent too. :D

Comfortably Numb
August 19th, 2002, 06:11 AM
I've seen these rankings get out of control on other sites, there are always a few that get competitive about increasing their rankings. I've noticed it in at least one thread here already since you turned them on. Personally, I thought things were just fine without the rankings. If they must be there, why not make them what they really are? An indication of how much time someone spends on their computer.
0-5 can find the Enter key
5-10 knows enough to be dangerous
10-25 semi computer literate
25-50 earned pocket protector
etc., etc., up to
1000+ total 'puter geek

Make the stars little computers.

RockYacht
August 19th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Aaron@Rockstomper:
Looks good Eric! I, too, have always wanted to meet you and have you buy me a beer! graemlins/thefinger.gif I second that Aaron! Although I have met Eric, I'm always willing to drink his beer. graemlins/thefinger.gif

A note from your Moderator:
Let's be adults about the member rating deal, no Post Padding just to get more stars. IMO they are kind of cheesy...

[ August 19, 2002, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Bob Levenhagen ]

Eric
August 19th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by MoabTamer:
If they must be there, why not make them what they really are? An indication of how much time someone spends on their computer.
0-5 can find the Enter key
5-10 knows enough to be dangerous
10-25 semi computer literate
25-50 earned pocket protector
etc., etc., up to
1000+ total 'puter geek

Make the stars little computers.graemlins/spit.gif So true :D graemlins/beer.gif

If it turns out to be a problem again then it'll go away for good. Just happened to come across the "old" rankings when I was editing last night and decided what the hell, it's worth another shot graemlins/rasta.gif Jury is still out...

dave@rokmen
August 19th, 2002, 03:35 PM
I think with a few beers and too much time on my hands I could up my count to about - Eleven Thousand.... What will that get me?

I could start a post - then reply to myself all night - at the end I'll just delete it...

hmmm....

Nah - If I have too much time on my hands I am getting on the phone and making bootie calls...

Geesh
August 21st, 2002, 09:28 AM
I lived and worked with the guy (no, neither of us are graemlins/rainbow.gif , well he may be now, who knows what lifestyle he has up in colo these days); I ain't about to shove sunshine up his butt. graemlins/thefinger.gif

No, just kidding. The board rocks. I have some struggle with my being only an armchair dude, and can't wait for pozer status graemlins/bounce4.gif That seems like a real improvement.

I have noticed on some other black-background boards that the number of posts has some bearing on one's technical savvy. I hope this board doesn't become like that.

Thanks for all the support and occaisional humor. Hey, can we talk Ackerman angle?

Eric
August 21st, 2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Geesh:
I lived and worked with the guy (no, neither of us are graemlins/rainbow.gif , well he may be now, who knows what lifestyle he has up in colo these days)graemlins/spit.gif Oh my gawd, I'm not the one who moved to the land of the ellusive hot single woman graemlins/thefinger.gif I thought you learned your lesson in the SF Bay area, but maybe that lifestyle is more to your liking after all graemlins/thefinger.gif graemlins/laughing.gif

I have some struggle with my being only an armchair dude, and can't wait for pozer statusBut... you ARE an armchair dude graemlins/thefinger.gif You have to at least have a rig before you can talk Pozer :D graemlins/beer.gif Now get back to welding!

RockYacht
August 22nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
Ok I won't ask and you two don't have to tell...

Geesh, post count doesn't have anything to do with teck know how here. It may have something to do with attitude though. Get to work! graemlins/thefinger.gif

Steve's 85 CJ7
September 6th, 2002, 04:00 PM
It is a little like a Rock Concert. When the band claps their hands and everyone in the audience is encouraged to follow along with them no matter whether they like the song or not.

Ok I rate the site very good and the rating system on the site is just OK!

[ September 06, 2002, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Steve's 85 CJ7 ]

jx94148
September 13th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Just checking to see how much I have participated.

[ryan]
September 19th, 2002, 07:19 AM
personally im a fan of the avatars!

<---- :eek:

CannonBall
October 5th, 2002, 06:26 AM
I think the ranking should be based on days that you've been registered and not posts. Any chump can come post a million times and build up ranking. I've been on this board a little while, don't post to much but I get out and wheel quite a bit.

Anyway, I dunno, I don't think ranking really matters, maybe make the avatar something newbies can't have until like a few months. MAybe I need more graemlins/beer.gif
-Nate

CannonBall
October 5th, 2002, 09:30 AM
and how bout a little mini graemlins/beer.gif instead of a star? haha no? ok sorry had a few to many pabst today.
-Nate

[ October 05, 2002, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: CannonBall ]