PDA

View Full Version : Hypermax Tapercore Intercooler

dmeis
August 2nd, 2005, 07:27 AM
I recently upgraded the stock Ford intercooler to a Hypermax Tapercore intercooler. The Tapercore is much larger and heavier than the stock one.
http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/6/8/DSC03190.JPG
http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/6/8/DSC03191.JPG

The installation was way too easy. The hardest part was installing the new intercooler tubes. One side seemed extra long and the other seemed extra short. I know it's the tubes because the tubes I just replaced were Hypermax as well and they fit just fine.

The new IC seems to have boosted the power just a little. Maybe a little less smoke too. The EGT's seem to run 50-100 degrees lower and the big bonus is that the EGT's seem to drop at a faster rate than the stock IC. Over all I pretty happy with the results. Hopefully I can dyno it soon to get an idea of the added SOTP power.

Camp
August 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
Good to hear you got the egt's down a bit. For what it's worth, the rule of thumb is one degree intake temp is equal to 3 degrees of exhaust gas temp. The more efficient IC obviously is helping in that department. :thumbsup:

dmeis
August 3rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
It's definitly helping because the throttle response seems so much more crisp and all the time. Maybe I had too much turbo for that little IC. haha

CSP
August 3rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
You may have a valid point Dave.

Usually it's just the opposite. I'm fully expecting to have more turbo lag when the intercooler is installed.

Mack
August 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Intresting-
Not sure what truck you've got, but from my research the stock IC on the CTD's of my generation 98.5-02ish 24V's are supposedly good up to 600hp. Be intresting to know how it does towing, and how much of a difference you see. What did that set you back, if you don't mind me asking....?

dmeis
August 3rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
I think my turbo was making more heat than the stocker could cool down. Thus why it feels more crisp now? Surely the aftermarket turbo has more volume than stock and just a tad more pressure (~27psi empty and 29psi towing with stock injectors). I never measured the IC tube temps but the cold side is defniitly colder now by touch.

They say the PSD IC is limited to 300-350 HP and the Tapercore retails for $1800. (Thanks Doug ;) )