PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a new server, and list of vendors is online

Eric
April 23rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Server Move
First and foremost, we will be moving CO4x4 to a new server in the coming weeks. As you may or may not know, we have been sharing a server with Pirate4x4.com for the past few years and together we've outgrown the combined server/bandwidth capacity. Thus the time has come for CO4x4 to move to a different server. When? I'm not sure yet, but I suspect the move will occur within the next few weeks. I also suspect that CO4x4 will be shut down for a few days to facillitate the move. I'll provide as much advance notice as possible.

List of Supporting Vendors
In other news, I finally put together the list of vendors (http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=32291) who support Colorado4x4.org. These vendors have committed to keeping CO4x4 online and supporting CO4x4 members with quality products and service. Take a moment to familiarize yourself with each company by visiting their website and browsing the selection of specials in the Vendor Showcase. If you talk to a supporting vendor, be sure to tell them you saw them on CO4x4 and thanks for keeping CO4x4 alive :) :thumbsup:

Eric
April 27th, 2005, 04:44 PM
UPDATE

The server move will likely take place either tonight or tomorrow night. We're doing a test copy first to verify that everything is in order on the new server. After the test version checks out I'll shut down CO4x4 while we make the final transfer.

When your DNS server updates you'll be on the new server and the site will be online. If CO4x4 is down then your DNS server hasn't updated yet and you're still looking at the old server. Just give it a day or so and things will be back to normal. Aside from the (hopefully) brief downtime, the move should be completely transparent.

CLYDE
April 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Eric, ya might wanna copy this over to general too,, I know a lot of peoiple dont bother to look at the NEWS,, also, any clue how long we will be down?? thanks Clyde

Eric
April 27th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Eric, ya might wanna copy this over to general too,, I know a lot of peoiple dont bother to look at the NEWS,

If they don't bother to read the site-related news then they'll figure it out when they get the "CO4x4 is temporarily closed" message ;)

also, any clue how long we will be down??
I'll have a better idea after we complete the transfer for the test copy. DNS update alone could take as long as a few days, or be a fast as a few minutes. Depends on when and how frequently your DNS server checks for updates. The physical transfer of data from one server to the other I have no idea, that could take anywhere from minutes to hours.

Should be "interesting" :) :beer:

Tiffany
April 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Cool, Eric. I am planning a move for ILJ soon ad will be upgrading m vBB to this version and using the same frot page portal.

Maybe we can bounce ideas of of each other.

Good luck with the move.

Bill Plein
April 28th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Cool, Eric. I am planning a move for ILJ soon ad will be upgrading m vBB to this version and using the same frot page portal.

Maybe we can bounce ideas of of each other.

Good luck with the move.

Need a hosting site? (grin)