PDA

View Full Version : Banks Big Head Wastegate & Wicked Wheel

Clint
April 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM
The turbo wheel on some of the super duty diesels are prone to surging, and mine was doing it enough I wanted to fix it. I also wanted to get the boost on the turbo up where it should be and get rid of the lag I had.

install time was about 4 1/2 hours for both of them. Since I needed to pull the turbo to install the new wheel, the wastegate actuator was really easy. I have heard of the actuator being put on while the turbo is on the truck, but I can imagine trying it.

The results were well worth the work. The truck runs smoother at idle and through the gears. The lag is all but gone and I can feel the turbo really get after it. There is a big difference in power and it also whistles alot more :)

Cost: approx 200.00 for everything
Time: 4 1/2 hours

Eric
April 14th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I think DMeis was considering this before plunking down the major coin for his Quickspool. Sounds like it worked well for you, I'm amazed how crappy the stock setup is (with regard to turbo surge). Did you take any pictures? Specifically comparing the replacements to the stock parts?

Clint
April 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
No, I wish I had. The Banks Big Head is huge compared to the stock wastegate. Another thing I noticed is how easy it was to actuate the stock rod vs the rod on the banks. To set the preload on the Banks you turn the rod 6 turns in and then have to either use air pressure or force it to fit and it was hard to pull even the 1/4" I needed. The wheel was about the same as far as size, but instead of 10 long veins it had 5 short and 5 long, all staggered.

it has worked well and the more I use it the more I like it. I think its only going to help when I purchase a tuner or chip for it.

Clint

warthog
February 22nd, 2006, 04:06 PM
where did you pick it up at?

Clint
February 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
Joe over at EndlessMtnFab.com got it for me. If you contact him, tell him Clint sent you. He got me a better deal than I could find anywhere else, and Im the king of cheap.....

crackhead
November 15th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Old thread alert... Did the wicked wheel drop your EGT's at all??

Clint
November 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Old thread alert... Did the wicked wheel drop your EGT's at all??

No idea, I didnt have gauges when I did it.