PDA

View Full Version : News for 1/17/02

Eric
January 17th, 2002, 12:44 PM
A few items of info/interest: Colorado4x4.org is considering options for the bulletin board software that we use. See this post (http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000286) for more info, then please visit the Front Page (http://www.colorado4x4.org/) and cast your vote. As you've likely noticed, the "Featured Trail" section of the front page is still awaiting development. Interested in running this section of CO4x4? If so, see this post (http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000013) for more info. A couple cosmetic changes to the forums:
1) The "News" catagory has been moved to the top of the main forums page.
2) The Reader's Rigs posting guidlines which were previously at the top of the Reader's Rigs forum have been relocated to a post in that forum. The description at the top of the forum now provides a link to the guidelines post which is a much cleaner approach. If you use this forum at all, please take a moment and read the guidelines. Speaking of the Reader's Rigs forum, at times it's difficult to tell that it's supposed to be sorted alphabetically. There is a bug in our current software version that occassionally screws up the alphabetical sorting. This has been fixed in the latest version of the software so in the near future we will be upgrading. This will happen either via a software switch (see first news item) or an actual upgrade to the new version of our current software. As mentioned in the About (http://www.colorado4x4.org/about.html) page, CO4x4 is currently privately funded. Unfortunately, this will not be able to continue much longer. We are fast approaching our one year anniversary and it's time to start pursuing options for funding the site. Relax... pop-ups will NEVER be a part of this site so long as I have anything to say about it. Some options we're considering right now are:
1) A member-supported approach very similar to what Pirate4x4.com has done. The site remains 100% free to use, but Avatars and uploads would only be available to those who've contributed financially to the site.
2) Very selective advertising. Whether it be thru a "sponsorship" of the bulletin board or featured ads on the front page, the scope of the advertising would be very selective. Only "local", offroad-related businesses would be featured.
3) Some combination of the above.
4) ??

Feel free to use this thread to share your immediate thoughts / concerns. In the near future we'll likely be discussing this in one of the main forums.

Thanks for taking a moment to see what's new at CO4x4 :D

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Eric ]</p>

RockYacht
January 18th, 2002, 03:33 AM
I'm all for a paying membership, kept at a reasonable cost. This site is very usefull for this group based in and around the Rockies. So there's one vote for "dues" for a lack of a better word.

I also support the use of limited advertising for local offroad related businesses. THanks for sticking to the NO POPUPS they suck.

REDBULL
January 19th, 2002, 03:50 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I'm all for a paying membership, kept at a reasonable cost. This site is very usefull for this group based in and around the Rockies. So there's one vote for "dues" for a lack of a better word.
I also support the use of limited advertising for local offroad related businesses. Thanks for sticking to the NO POPUPS they suck.<hr></blockquote>

Ditto! Well said Bob.... graemlins/old_glory.gif

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: RedBull99XJ ]</p>

Bill
January 20th, 2002, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't mind some advertizing/banners but popups are SO annoying!!! Thanks for not considering that as an option.

I would probably spring for "dues" if they were kept reasonable (+/- $15-20/year?). I have to wonder, though, if I would have stuck around long enough to see what a great resource this board is if it would have cost me up front.

I like the idea of a useful level of access for free and a higher level of access for dues. This, however, raises the problem of "why should I pay for the fancy features if I can get the basic for free?" Perhaps we should offer a free "membership" for a limited amount of time (6 months to a year?). This would give someone a chance to try it out, see the benefits and decide if it is worth the "dues" to continue.

Whatever you decide, I appreciate your hard work to make this site a great resource for 4-Wheeling in the Rocky Mountain area and beyond. Keep up the good work.

RockYacht
January 23rd, 2002, 05:54 AM
Good idea Bill. I have the same thoughts about why pay for the cow if you get the milk for free thing. This will need to be addressed some how...

I think we owe to Eric and to the Board itself to keep this going. If that means some type of "dues" or fees than that's what we should do.

I've been around here since Eric started it after moving in from CA (one of his smarter moves :D ) and this site is a valuable resource for like minded people of the Rocky Mt region. Have met some good friends and had some good trips that wouldn't have been possible with out it.

COME AWNNNN What's your opinion???

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: Bob Levenhagen ]</p>

fsjeeper
January 23rd, 2002, 06:13 AM
We won't mind paying a fee, this is the best site i think is out there for getting info and together for trips. We would have went on more trips if our rig would have been done earlier this past summer. One can't expect to have good info for free all the time.

Red F150
January 23rd, 2002, 06:19 AM
If a 20 spot will keep this sight going then I am all for it.

Keep up the good work Eric. Heres one on me graemlins/beer.gif

bsaunder
January 23rd, 2002, 09:14 AM
I'm for the user supported, but also think having local businesses advertise would be nice too.

Jettech
January 23rd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Fawk no!! I didn't pay Lance and i'm not paying you graemlins/thefinger.gif :D j\k

No actually I would spring for a few$ and plan on supporting POR as soon as i pay down my CC balance , the Holidays kind of suck somtimes :D

Eric
January 23rd, 2002, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone! Lets continue this discussion in the General forum.
Please click Here to continue (http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000299)

graemlins/beer.gif :D graemlins/beer.gif

Alan
January 23rd, 2002, 10:33 PM
I would be willing to pay dues for this site also. How about affiliating this site with a local club?

Alan smile.gif

Mystikal
January 24th, 2002, 06:21 AM
I'd be willing to go for the idea of a sticker as the membership fee... I though that was a good idea.

BDT
February 20th, 2002, 04:18 AM
I don't mind a dues fee, but I'd really hate to loose the input/participation/experience/whatever of the folks who it does bother. Unless you absolutely need to involve $, I'd say keep it a free world.

Just my $0.00

P.S. - I just wanted to echo the if it ain't broke, don't fix it AND stay away from pop-ups comments.

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: BDT:ribbon: ]</p>

Snotty
February 20th, 2002, 05:01 AM
I would think that a combination of dues and advertising would work. Maybe provide a place for paying members only. Some place where if I wanted to ask for help from people I knew I could post it there. But keep the cost down. Maybe different levels of startup fees.

$5 get's full access, $10 get's you full access and a cool sticker and $20 get's you full access, a cool sticker and really cool t-shirt. But keep the renewal rate to $5 per year.

Too many sites that are free out there. I think the reson it works on POR is that they had a large following for a few years before Lance started charging a fee. And from what I can tell, the only thing you get out of it, is to put up an avatar under your name.

Maybe put an email list togther for members only.

MHO...

Snotty

DaJudge
February 25th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Whatever it takes to make it work is fine with me.