PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a part - 87 Yamaha YZ250

Clod Hopper
April 20th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Need some help. I don't know crapola about bikes and I am having trouble tracking down a part.

My son found his way into acquiring a bike, a 1987 Yamaha YZ250, which is presently in several boxes. He needs a clutch basket. I have no understanding of the differences in the years the bike was produced, and so far can only find clutch baskets for newer year bikes. I cannot find the Yamaha part number for that particular year, or any kind of part interchange to cross reference. I might as well be trying to track down a unicorn. :shrug:

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

PovertyByJeep
April 23rd, 2018, 04:06 PM
Well, I generally use Bike Bandit or RockyMountain ATV for vintage parts for my old dirtbikes. They seem to have a decent selection. I am guessing that when you do find one- it will be spendy.

In the case of a clutch basket- I might be tempted to try ebay and score a used one.

Another option- depending on your ultimate goal- would be to see if recluse has one of their clutches for it. They are pretty sweet for a 2-stroke trail bike.

Clod Hopper
April 24th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Nothing on the BikeBandit site. I will call them later.

Tried Ebay already. Gonna have to be lucky to happen onto someone parting out a vintage bike.

Rekluse doesn't list anything older than a few years. maybe they have it, but it isn't on the site.

Stopped into a Yamaha dealer and managed to get an energized young guy at the parts counter that spent some time looking and talking. I finally have the right part number, which helps greatly on the search. He also suggested Steels Cycles in Englewood. I have a request into them and waiting on a response.

I wish I could find a parts interchange database to identify what years/applications used the same part. I cant believe Yamaha used entirely new clutch parts every year the bike was made. So far it has been like going to a really bad Autozone looking for wiper blades and having to answer make/model/year/engine/trim and be told the computer says there aren't any wipers available for the car.

Aaron
April 24th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Might check out Ty's Motorcycle Salvage in Longmont. http://www.coloradomagazineonline.com/Automotive/Ty_Motorcycle/Ty_%20Motorcycle%20Salvage.htm

He has been helpful in the past when I was looking for hard to find used parts.